My Bug was squished! Help me to avoid getting screwed!

Old October 14th 04, 02:12 AM
Al Gilson

Default My Bug was squished! Help me to avoid getting screwed!

Yesterday a moron in a Ford Taurus did a left turn across my lane right in
front of me. Needless to say, despite all of my best efforts, I smacked
into him at about 25mph. Damage? Yep. Left front fender, bonnet, left
front tire, rim and tire. The spooky part is that there is a slight
crinkle in the driver door by the window and a little wrinkle under the
bonnet just to the rear of the fuel tank. I'm worried that the pan may be
bent. No fuel leak, no fire.

We're talking about a 1970 Convertible, new paint, new top, new carpet,
rebuilt engine, newly chromed original bumpers. None of the body parts
are aftermarket. I want to save my Bug.

My worry? The other guys insurance company will low ball me and try to
total my bug and tru to give me just a pittance.

How can I show that this is not just a 34 year old beater and should be
rebuilt? How can I argue the value with their insurance adjuster?

Help keep a classic on the road. Thanks for your tips.

Al Gilson
Squished 1970 Convertible

--
Al Gilson
Spokane, WA USA
Old October 14th 04, 02:48 AM
Ed Botwinik

It should be as simple as standing your ground. If your insurance was
covering it, it would be under your contract which would probably total it.
Since it is his insurance which is his liability, in most states you have
the 'right' to have your car returned to it's previous condition. I have
had several collectible cars (i.e. old enough they'd want to total them).
From first hand experience, ask them to fix it, if they won't, hire an
attorney to ask them to fix it. They will also likely offer a settlement
that is less than the cost of repair (and try to make it look like they're
overpaying you). Don't fall for the quick settlement approach if you want
your car returned to it's previous shape.

Ed

'73 VW Thing
'62 MG Midget

Old October 14th 04, 03:00 AM
Speedy Jim

Al Gilson wrote:

> Yesterday a moron in a Ford Taurus did a left turn across my lane right in
> front of me. Needless to say, despite all of my best efforts, I smacked
> into him at about 25mph. Damage? Yep. Left front fender, bonnet, left
> front tire, rim and tire. The spooky part is that there is a slight
> crinkle in the driver door by the window and a little wrinkle under the
> bonnet just to the rear of the fuel tank. I'm worried that the pan may be
> bent. No fuel leak, no fire.
>
> We're talking about a 1970 Convertible, new paint, new top, new carpet,
> rebuilt engine, newly chromed original bumpers. None of the body parts
> are aftermarket. I want to save my Bug.
>
> My worry? The other guys insurance company will low ball me and try to
> total my bug and tru to give me just a pittance.
>
> How can I show that this is not just a 34 year old beater and should be
> rebuilt? How can I argue the value with their insurance adjuster?
>
> Help keep a classic on the road. Thanks for your tips.
>
> Al Gilson
> Squished 1970 Convertible
>
> --
> Al Gilson
> Spokane, WA USA
> 1970 VW Convertible
> 1964 Cessna Skyhawk

That's a pretty bad hit.
Don't settle for mere cosmetic repairs.
There is a very good chance that the axle beam is bent
or even the frame head. Now we're talking real money.

Find out what '70 verts are worth on the market.
Bargain from there.
Oh....and wear a neck brace when you meet their adjuster. <g>

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 14th 04, 03:03 AM
Mycoran

>Al Gilson" > wrote in message
>> Yesterday a moron in a Ford Taurus did a left turn across my lane right in
>> front of me. Needless to say, despite all of my best efforts, I smacked
>> into him at about 25mph. Damage? Yep. Left front fender, bonnet, left
>> front tire, rim and tire. The spooky part is that there is a slight
>> crinkle in the driver door by the window and a little wrinkle under the
>> bonnet just to the rear of the fuel tank. I'm worried that the pan may be
>> bent. No fuel leak, no fire.
>>
>> We're talking about a 1970 Convertible, new paint, new top, new carpet,
>> rebuilt engine, newly chromed original bumpers. None of the body parts
>> are aftermarket. I want to save my Bug.
>>
>> My worry? The other guys insurance company will low ball me and try to
>> total my bug and tru to give me just a pittance.
>>
>> How can I show that this is not just a 34 year old beater and should be
>> rebuilt? How can I argue the value with their insurance adjuster?
>>
>> Help keep a classic on the road. Thanks for your tips.
>>
>> Al Gilson
>> Squished 1970 Convertible
>>
>> --
>> Al Gilson
>> Spokane, WA USA
>> 1970 VW Convertible
>> 1964 Cessna Skyhawk

You could try contacting an antique car appraseir in your area and see if he
would give you an appraisel on your car as if it was not wrecked. he should be
able to tell what it looked like prior to damage. Just a thought
Dave
Old October 14th 04, 05:09 AM
Larry Hill

And go to a dr. for a check up...That is the first thing they will ask you.
Larry Hill

Old October 14th 04, 07:22 PM
Jim

(Al Gilson) wrote in message >...
> Yesterday a moron in a Ford Taurus did a left turn across my lane right in
> front of me. Needless to say, despite all of my best efforts, I smacked
> into him at about 25mph. Damage? Yep. Left front fender, bonnet, left
> front tire, rim and tire. The spooky part is that there is a slight
> crinkle in the driver door by the window and a little wrinkle under the
> bonnet just to the rear of the fuel tank. I'm worried that the pan may be
> bent. No fuel leak, no fire.
>
> We're talking about a 1970 Convertible, new paint, new top, new carpet,
> rebuilt engine, newly chromed original bumpers. None of the body parts
> are aftermarket. I want to save my Bug.
>
> My worry? The other guys insurance company will low ball me and try to
> total my bug and tru to give me just a pittance.
>
> How can I show that this is not just a 34 year old beater and should be
> rebuilt? How can I argue the value with their insurance adjuster?
>
> Help keep a classic on the road. Thanks for your tips.
>
> Al Gilson
> Squished 1970 Convertible

medical - go get checked out. After more than 10 years I'm still
feeling the effects of my accident. After my accident, the other
insurance company called and asked to record me while we talked about
my medical injuries. I told them that neither I nor they were doctors,
and they needed to talk to my lawyer about that.

The car damage - mine was totalled (read about in 'bugs unsafe'
thread). I had just finished doing a lot of work to it, including new
shocks and struts and a new engine. The insurance guy was
understanding, and requested invoices to justify to his people. Once
he received the invoices the payout was fair. And I kept the car.

See if you can get it appraised, get estimates to fix it, collect all
your bills/invoices (don't forget your labor) and see how the
insurance company is going to be. You might need to go the lawyer
route, but keep in mind that while that might get the insurance
company to pay more out, you might net less (due to legal fees).

Good luck.. keep us posted.

Regards,

Jim
Old October 14th 04, 07:38 PM
Jim

Old October 15th 04, 03:15 AM
ThaDriver

Bummer.
Prepare to bend over...
Good advice all (except maybe for the neck brace :-)
Get comparable values everywhere you can. Hemmings is a good place to
start. Get any documentaion on expenses; write a log of everything you've
done to it & how long you've been working on it. Get a checkout & maybe an
xray. DO NOT allow the ins. co. to record any conversations unless in
person & with a lawyer present.
Your car has serious damage, The wrinkles you mentioned suggest frame
damage, & are major body damage. Not an easy fix by any means. Take the
car to several shops that do *restorations* on VWs & get their estimates.
Sorry my site http://screwedbyinsurance.com is not fully online or I could
point you there for more info & links...
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"