Change is in the wind....

Old May 22nd 09, 06:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
doby

Default Change is in the wind....

On Fri, 22 May 2009 00:59:27 -0700, "Max Magister"
> [...]

>>usage exceeds fifty percent is in retirement communities. However, it
>>appears that some of the data may be skewed, as half of the vehicles
>>appeared to have their turn signals permanently flashing.
>>
>>Professor Patterson stated that the results for his own country were vastly
>>different than the states. In Canada, 103 percent of drivers used their turn
>>signals. He attributed to the statistically impossible result by claiming
>>that excessively polite Canadians signal even when they're not actually
>>driving.
>>
>>Chrysler advised that it was not totally abandoning the use of turn signals
>>in its vehicles. "We will provide each driver, upon written request, and
>>with a small shipping and handling fee, an instruction manual showing the
>>appropriate hand signals used for signaling turns and lane changes." The
>>spokesperson kindly added that for the first forty years of driving cars
>>didn't have flashing turn signals, and if it worked back then it should be
>>okay today.
>>
>>Chrysler is not the only manufacturing addressing the use (or lack thereof)
>>of turn signals in America. Volvo announced a prototype ESPS system. The
>>Swedish brand's extra sensory perception signal system reads a driver's mind
>>prior to each turn or lane change and automatically activates the signals
>>requiring no driver intervention.
>>
>>Volvo says the ESPS system was currently being tested. It should be
>>available for domestic use in 2012. They added that safety is neat and they
>>were glad to solve this difficult problem with technology.
>>
>>BMW has already addressed one of the annoying problems with conventional
>>turn signals. On most cars, the signal stalk is a physical move up for a
>>right signal and down for a left signal and stays in either position until
>>either a turn is completed or, in the case of a lane change, the driver
>>manually turns off the turn signal. This design aesthetic was not in keeping
>>with BMW's flame surface treatment introduced by head designer Chris Bangle.
>>
>>"Our signals are fixed oceans, only cresting for an instance to signal
>>intent, and then returning to their level nesting place adding beauty and
>>functionality to the over aesthetic while still maintaining the overall
>>starkness of the vehicles interior," Bangle said. He declined to comment on
>>whether this radical change to a sixty-year-old system would encourage less
>>use of turn signals, instead referring readers to BMW's legal disclaimer
>>page on their website.
>>
>>Will the turn signal go the way of the vinyl record, rotary dial phone and
>>pet rocks? Only time will tell. But from this writer's experience its use is
>>doomed to be one of the future lost arts. Will my son someday sit in a bar
>>and brag how his old man was a "turn signal user" or will he be vilified by
>>his peers for the cranky views of his safety obsessed father? We shall see.

Something smells fishy here. I wonder if this is a doctored up release. Here
in AZ it's the law and a fine is given if caught by a cop. I use mine even
in a private parking lot. It's a good thing to have anywhere if noted by the
police or witness's for your insurance company to get from you or your
lawyer. I think a lot of state may have similar laws. Same goes for seatbelts.

Doby
Old May 22nd 09, 07:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobiles.carshows
Max Magister

It's just a joke, Doby. I thought it was quite clever to come out with
something like this and make it sound just like so many of the other
statements that are pouring out of the PR departments at this time.

max

C5 wind deflector yar Corvette 6 September 12th 06 02:14 AM
May the best wind tunnel win V_e_s_a Simulators 6 July 18th 06 03:35 AM
Wind Screen [email protected] Saturn 0 July 6th 06 09:40 PM
wind stop Glenn Audi 0 May 20th 05 02:05 AM
BMW E46 Wind Deflector Matt BMW 1 May 2nd 05 10:25 PM