Brand and/or vendor recommended for Toyota fan clutch

Old November 19th 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota, rec.autos.tech
HiC

Default Brand and/or vendor recommended for Toyota fan clutch

Given the descriptions I've seen here of how a fan clutch is supposed
to behave, I suspect the lifetime warranty unit I got from Autozone
and its replacement aren't doing it. Who do you recommend buying from
to get one thats definitely good? Either online or over the counter -
I'm in Central Florida.

What's the quality likely to be on one gotten from Toyota?
Old November 19th 07, 05:02 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

"HiC" > wrote in message
> Given the descriptions I've seen here of how a fan clutch is supposed
> to behave, I suspect the lifetime warranty unit I got from Autozone
> and its replacement aren't doing it. Who do you recommend buying from
> to get one thats definitely good? Either online or over the counter -
> I'm in Central Florida.
>
> What's the quality likely to be on one gotten from Toyota?

I don't know of any aftermarket fan clutch vendors, the one from Toyota
should work fine.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old November 19th 07, 01:59 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Nick Bourne

HiC wrote:
> Given the descriptions I've seen here of how a fan clutch is supposed
> to behave, I suspect the lifetime warranty unit I got from Autozone
> and its replacement aren't doing it. Who do you recommend buying from
> to get one thats definitely good? Either online or over the counter -
> I'm in Central Florida.
>
> What's the quality likely to be on one gotten from Toyota?

I had a 6MGE in a Cressida that did the fan clutch. The Toyota dealer
suggested that i not buy a new one as its usually the fluid in them that
dies. I bought 2 tubes of it from them and reco'd it myself. It cost me
about $30 and 2 hours of my time. Only problem was that i put to much in
and it was a bit tight. damn thing sounded like a 747 at takeoff. Never
had any heating problems though.
Old November 20th 07, 04:06 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:59:38 +1000, Nick Bourne wrote:

> HiC wrote:
>> Given the descriptions I've seen here of how a fan clutch is supposed to
>> behave, I suspect the lifetime warranty unit I got from Autozone and its
>> replacement aren't doing it. Who do you recommend buying from to get
>> one thats definitely good? Either online or over the counter - I'm in
>> Central Florida.
>>
>> What's the quality likely to be on one gotten from Toyota?

> I had a 6MGE in a Cressida that did the fan clutch. The Toyota dealer
> suggested that i not buy a new one as its usually the fluid in them that
> dies. I bought 2 tubes of it from them and reco'd it myself. It cost me
> about $30 and 2 hours of my time. Only problem was that i put to much in
> and it was a bit tight. damn thing sounded like a 747 at takeoff. Never
> had any heating problems though.

747's have jet engines. I likened mine to a B-17 (ever heard one take off?
Sounds like a 7M-GE with a stiff fan clutch!

I tried the rebuild...it tried my patience...I bought the AutoZone clutch!

Old November 20th 07, 07:12 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Danny G.

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message news:gbs0j.9486$Mg1.3718@trndny03...
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:59:38 +1000, Nick Bourne wrote:
>
>> HiC wrote:
>>> Given the descriptions I've seen here of how a fan clutch is supposed to
>>> behave, I suspect the lifetime warranty unit I got from Autozone and its
>>> replacement aren't doing it. Who do you recommend buying from to get
>>> one thats definitely good? Either online or over the counter - I'm in
>>> Central Florida.

To see if your fan clutch is working correctly just listen for or observe
that the following is true.

When first starting the car in the morning the fan should pull a lot of air (sounds
like a plane) for a short time only. Then the clutch (fluid coupling) should let
the fan slip and get real quiet at any RPM.

After driving some distance in warm weather the fan should pull a lot of air at idle.

>>> What's the quality likely to be on one gotten from Toyota?

It would be the correct part and not just a close enough part.

>> I had a 6MGE in a Cressida that did the fan clutch. The Toyota dealer
>> suggested that i not buy a new one as its usually the fluid in them that
>> dies. I bought 2 tubes of it from them and reco'd it myself. It cost me
>> about $30 and 2 hours of my time. Only problem was that i put to much in
>> and it was a bit tight. damn thing sounded like a 747 at takeoff. Never
>> had any heating problems though.

> 747's have jet engines. I likened mine to a B-17 (ever heard one take off?
> Sounds like a 7M-GE with a stiff fan clutch!

LOL...
I hear that. And it probably cut you gas miliage in half, or worse!

> I tried the rebuild...it tried my patience...I bought the AutoZone clutch!

Toyota's price was so high I had to shake my head and go to AutoZone
to replace mine for both the truck and the Supra. Both have worked fine
for a couple years now.

GL
Dan

Old November 21st 07, 04:30 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:12:24 -0800, Danny G. wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message

> To see if your fan clutch is working correctly just listen for or
> observe that the following is true.
>
> When first starting the car in the morning the fan should pull a lot of
> air (sounds like a plane) for a short time only. Then the clutch (fluid
> coupling) should let the fan slip and get real quiet at any RPM.
>
> After driving some distance in warm weather the fan should pull a lot of
> air at idle.

> It would be the correct part and not just a close enough part.
>

>>> I had a 6MGE in a Cressida that did the fan clutch. The Toyota dealer
>>> suggested that i not buy a new one as its usually the fluid in them
>>> that dies. I bought 2 tubes of it from them and reco'd it myself. It
>>> cost me about $30 and 2 hours of my time. Only problem was that i put
>>> to much in and it was a bit tight. damn thing sounded like a 747 at
>>> takeoff. Never had any heating problems though.

>> 747's have jet engines. I likened mine to a B-17 (ever heard one take
>> off? Sounds like a 7M-GE with a stiff fan clutch!

> LOL...
> I hear that. And it probably cut you gas miliage in half, or worse!

OMG I couldn't imagine it! I was getting about 22, now about 18...

>> I tried the rebuild...it tried my patience...I bought the AutoZone
>> clutch!

> Toyota's price was so high I had to shake my head and go to AutoZone to
> replace mine for both the truck and the Supra. Both have worked fine for a
> couple years now.
>

> GL
> Dan

HiC didn't list a price. I went to AZ's website and found one for $39!!!
Mine was $82!!!

If he got the $39, it may explain why he's having troubles...

Old November 21st 07, 05:58 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Nick Bourne

Danny G. wrote:
> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message news:gbs0j.9486$Mg1.3718@trndny03...

> To see if your fan clutch is working correctly just listen for or observe
> that the following is true.
>
> When first starting the car in the morning the fan should pull a lot of air (sounds
> like a plane) for a short time only. Then the clutch (fluid coupling) should let
> the fan slip and get real quiet at any RPM.
>
> After driving some distance in warm weather the fan should pull a lot of air at idle.

> It would be the correct part and not just a close enough part.
>

>>> I had a 6MGE in a Cressida that did the fan clutch. The Toyota dealer
>>> suggested that i not buy a new one as its usually the fluid in them that
>>> dies. I bought 2 tubes of it from them and reco'd it myself. It cost me
>>> about $30 and 2 hours of my time. Only problem was that i put to much in
>>> and it was a bit tight. damn thing sounded like a 747 at takeoff. Never
>>> had any heating problems though.

>> 747's have jet engines. I likened mine to a B-17 (ever heard one take off?
>> Sounds like a 7M-GE with a stiff fan clutch!

> LOL...
> I hear that. And it probably cut you gas miliage in half, or worse!

I never heard a b17, but it was a noisy thing. i never noticed a change
in my fuel economy, but then I was running a 6M-GE with a 5M-GE computer.

Old November 21st 07, 02:48 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Scott in Florida[_3_]

>I never heard a b17, but it was a noisy thing. i never noticed a change
>in my fuel economy, but then I was running a 6M-GE with a 5M-GE computer.

For a B 17 fly by go here and down to number 53

http://avanimation.avsupport.com/Sound.htm

--
Scott in Florida

Old November 22nd 07, 08:45 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Nick Bourne

Scott in Florida wrote:

>> I never heard a b17, but it was a noisy thing. i never noticed a change
>> in my fuel economy, but then I was running a 6M-GE with a 5M-GE computer.

> For a B 17 fly by go here and down to number 53
>
> http://avanimation.avsupport.com/Sound.htm

thanks for the link, but it sounded nothing like that. I guess the only
other thing that ever sounded close was a kenworth cab-over. the engine
fans made simaler sounds. first startup your could feel the air bring
sucked through the grill if you put your hand on it.