Stainless steel muffler- maybe not

Old October 15th 04, 08:42 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Steve L. wrote:

> Not believing you guys, I spent hours on the web looking for a
> replacement muffler, all stainless, including pipes.....I found nothing.
>
> I can't believe you can't buy and OEM all stainless muffler
> replacement for a 93 grand caravan.

Well if you don't believe us, and you don't believe your own eyes...whom
do you believe? I don't think there's anything in the Bible about it, so
we're outta luck on that avenue... The fact of the matter is that the
aftermarket will not generally support (i.e., pay for) what an OEM-type
stainless muffler would cost. They tend to remain available from dealer
parts departments for a short time after OEM use is discontinued, for
warranty work and such, but then the dealer parts counters are switched
over to the aftermarket type mufflers.

> The only one that says they have is Walker and I'm told that this is
> what the Chrysler dealer and Midas etc sell. I wish I had kept my
> original OEM muffler and just welded a new pipe onto it...had I known.

Why? Just buy a premium muffler from Walker or Goerlich and you'll be all
set for at least five years, depending on how you use your car. The other
option is to get busy with the books, find a late-model application (later
Chrysler minivans...?) that use a muffler similar in size, shape and
configuration to your own, and go buy *that* from the dealer. Prepare to
pay $$$.
Old October 16th 04, 12:29 AM
Joe

Your admiration for Midas has me all teary-eyed. They have stockholders to
feed, and they are not going to use stainless steel for any reason. Who do
you think pays for all their commercials? You! All auto-repair chains are
rip offs. They have to be because of their cost structure. Watch this group
and see how many people post stuff like "I took my car to Pep Boys/Jiffy
Lube/K-Mart/ etc and (blah blah blah disaster) happened."

om...

Old October 16th 04, 12:29 AM
Joe

Old October 16th 04, 12:31 AM
Joe

I'm LOL! Surely he meant to say non-magnetic, but as has already been
pointed out, it depends. It's a pretty good test, in my opinion.

Old October 16th 04, 12:31 AM
Joe

Old October 16th 04, 02:00 AM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:31:07 -0400, "Joe" > wrote:

>I'm LOL! Surely he meant to say non-magnetic, but as has already been
>pointed out, it depends. It's a pretty good test, in my opinion.
>
>"Alex Rodriguez" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>> says...
>>
>> >Stainless steel is non-metallic

>> This is not true. It is a metal. You probably meant to say it is
>> non-ferous, which is not true either.
>>

>> >.....Place a magnet against it and if it sticks
>> >IS NOT stainless steel....

>> Also not true. Depends on the specific alloy. Magnets will stick, though
>> weakly, to some stainless steel alloys.
>> ------------------
>> Alex

Lets just say if a magnet does NOT stick, there is a better than 50/50
chance the muffler is stainless. On a car or truck, pretty close to
100%, as aluminum and carbon fibre mufflers on cars are extremely
rare.

If it sticks, more than likely it is NOT stainless - just because of
the difference in sheer numbers produced.

Old October 16th 04, 02:00 AM

Steel Stock Wheels Alan Dodge 0 December 5th 04 07:10 PM
2001-current BMW M3 Muffler For Sale Bryan Franz BMW 0 November 14th 04 10:12 PM
1994 ford ranger no muffler, OK? BuNisGoD.com 4x4 0 July 1st 04 08:33 AM
What grade of shhet steel? Paul Farber 4x4 2 April 23rd 04 10:06 PM