Fla. Highway Crash Kills Seven Children

Old January 26th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.road

Default Fla. Highway Crash Kills Seven Children

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/school_bu...kxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Fla. Highway Crash Kills Seven Children By RON WORD, Associated Press
Writer

LAKE BUTLER, Fla. - Seven children who had been adopted by a single
family were killed Wednesday in a fiery crash when their car was
crushed between a truck and a stopped school bus in rural northern
Florida.

The children, ranging in age from 15 years to 21 months, were alone in
the car, headed toward their home about two miles north of the crash
site. The truck hit them from behind, pushing their car into the bus
and causing the car to burst into flames, police said.

"It's a very chaotic scene," said Lt. Mike Burroughs of the Florida
Highway Patrol. "It's just a mangled, charred mess."

Everyone in the car was killed, including the 15-year-old girl who was
driving illegally. All of the youngsters had been adopted by the same
family and lived together, police said.

It was unclear why the children were unaccompanied.

Evidence from the scene showed that the truck, which was carrying
bottled water, did not brake before hitting the car on the two-lane
road, Burroughs said.

The bus ended up 200 feet from where the car struck it, and the cab of
the truck lay overturned near the scene, Burroughs said. The bus was
at an approved bus stop, but it was not immediately clear whether
children were getting on or off.

Nine students were on the bus, and three were thrown from the vehicle
by the force of the crash. The extent of their injuries was also
unclear.

State police said three were seriously hurt and six others suffered
minor injuries. Hospital officials said they received five children,
two of whom were in fair condition late Wednesday and three who were
in serious condition.

The drivers of the bus and the truck were also taken to hospitals. The
truck driver suffered minor injuries, and authorities planned to
interview him. The bus driver was thrown from the vehicle, and her
condition was not immediately known.

The car was driven by 15-year-old Nicki Mann, who was with siblings
Elizabeth Mann, 15; Johnny Mann, 13; Heaven Mann, 3; Ashley Kenn, 13;
Miranda Finn, who was either 8 or 9 years old; and Anthony Lamb, who
was almost 2 years old. Lamb was in the process of being adopted,
Burroughs said.

The bus was operated by the Union County school district, which has
three schools from pre-kindergarten to 12th grade in the area about 60
miles southwest of Jacksonville.

The National Transportation Safety Board said it was sending a
team of investigators.

Fatal accidents involving school buses are relatively rare. The
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 71
passengers and 42 drivers been killed since 1994 in school vehicles —
an average of about 10 people per year.

I don't know what to make of this. If the adopted parents let the
kids drive this car, then they oughta be charged with something.

Old January 26th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:

> I don't know what to make of this. If the adopted parents let the
> kids drive this car, then they oughta be charged with something.

Are you coddling the truck driver?
Old January 26th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >, Arif Khokar wrote:
> laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
>
>> I don't know what to make of this. If the adopted parents let the
>> kids drive this car, then they oughta be charged with something.

> Are you coddling the truck driver?

Dollars to Doughnuts this results in more restrictions on teen driving.

Old January 26th 06, 09:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

(Brent P) wrote:

> >> Dollars to Doughnuts this results in more restrictions on teen driving.

> > How do you restrict any more than "15 year olds aren't allowed to drive"?

> How many more gun laws have we had since "convicted felons cannot own
> firearms"?

If you cannot see the difference between the two, I can't think of
anything I can possibly say to help you.

> Government is idiotic and kneejerk in its reactions. There was a rash of
> crotch rocket (motorcycle) riders offing themselves by doing things like
> lanespliting at 120mph on the dan ryan expressway. Mayor Daley reacted
> by trying to have a helmet law passed. a helmet law for bicyclists and
> roller bladers.

See above.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 26th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,misc.transport.road,alt.politics.republicans

the loving, caring, mass-murdering, child-killing christian god strikes
again

Old January 26th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Brent P, > was motivated to say this
in rec.autos.driving on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:39:45 -0600:
> In article >, Arif Khokar wrote:
> > laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know what to make of this. If the adopted parents let the
> >> kids drive this car, then they oughta be charged with something.

> > Are you coddling the truck driver?

> Dollars to Doughnuts this results in more restrictions on teen driving.

Or in an the speed limit being lowered and another jerk-water-town
florida speed trap appearing.

More on the accident: http://tinyurl.com/9pgre
Old January 26th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

necromancer wrote:
> Brent P, > was motivated to say this
> in rec.autos.driving on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:39:45 -0600:

>>>Are you coddling the truck driver?

>>Dollars to Doughnuts this results in more restrictions on teen driving.

> Or in an the speed limit being lowered and another jerk-water-town
> florida speed trap appearing.
>
> More on the accident: http://tinyurl.com/9pgre

They had church Wed night? Who the **** goes to church Wed night?!
I bet the poor kids were homeschooled.