Thought about returning in a c5

Old October 24th 07, 12:45 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Thought about returning in a c5

On Oct 21, 10:26 pm, rebco10 > wrote:
> I had a 93 vette vert and a 96. Loved the 96. Sold it to get a newer
> one. Found a newer one buy the money was spent already on stuff
> like.... mortgage
>
> Anyway, ready to jump back in. I drove a 07 vert in Florida. Great
> ride fantastic performance and comfort. BTW, dont like the paddle
> shift, it is not real or even close to ferrari like shifters. Anyway,
> I would get a stick.
>
> Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
> fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy. My 93 car had a
> lot of flex is it was a convertible. The 96 was much better and real
> fun to drive.
> This 00 just made me feel like I was on a ride rather then part of the
> car. I was .... kind of scared and did not think it would be fun to
> really drive. You know what I mean drive drive, not go for a lunch
> date with the mrs. but take some turns and really drive. Dont get me
> wrong, it had raw power and if not for traction control, I would have
> had to pay for tires. Top down was great, stereo was fine and I love
> heads up display. Plenty to like.
>
> The owner pulls up in a red m3 bmw. I have never driven one. Always
> thought they looked great. He said I could test drive it. Both cars
> were around $25K.
> The engine in this thing was smooth as silk. Seating position was
> sedan like and easy to get in and out. Seats top notch. Back seat,
> well forget that, but is was 2x better then a 911 seating. Precise
> stearing and very comfortable ride. Con: Shifter was numb.
>
> I am really leaning towards the BMW. Sure maintenance is scary but I
> hardly use these cars.
>
> If you have any opinions, please let me know. BTW, I did not plan to
> look at the BMW. My plan for today was to pick between a early c5
> corvette and a 87-89 911 carerra 2. If anyone has experience with the
> 911, I would really like to hear it.

We had an lt4 and have driven the M3. Both are great. The m3 is much
more refined like a precision machine. If it is quality, composure,
go with BMW and of course 4 real seats. The Vette is brute force.
The Vette feels like a chevy. It is plastic and rough and well that
is part of the beauty.

Old October 24th 07, 05:59 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
name

the corvette is fast, great value, all american, iconic

the 911 is heaven, it bonds with the driver's soul like no other car can

oups.com...

Old October 25th 07, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ACAR

On Oct 23, 3:30 pm, rebco10 > wrote:

> The tires on the M3 were equal wear to the ride on the Vette. The 65%
> worn tires are not going to have that much affect on the feel of the
> car, the suspension travel and the rigity of the package. It will
> have a part.

This is not accurate. Tire performance is not all about tread depth.
7 year old tires worn 65% will not perform the same as 1 year old
tires worn 65%.
7 year old tires should not be on any sports car regardless of tread
depth.
Tires play a HUGE role in the way a car feels.

Years ago I taught my kids this lesson with a Toyota Corolla. On OEM
tires the car was a poor handler, it wandered at speed and was very
sensitive to cross winds and poor pavement. The ABS seemed not to work
very well. Then I put a set of high performance Pirelli tires on the
car. Everything changed. They couldn't believe it was the same car.
They wore out those Pirellis in 20,000 miles but they learned a bit
about driving.

Old October 25th 07, 01:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ACAR

On Oct 24, 12:59 am, "name" > wrote:
> the corvette is fast, great value, all american, iconic
>
> the 911 is heaven, it bonds with the driver's soul like no other car can

You might want to test drive a Cayman. It's mid-engine layout has some
advantages over the 911. (Some rumors are circulating that GM is
seriously considering a mid-engined Corvette.)

You should not test drive a Ferrari.

Old October 25th 07, 04:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

>Years ago I taught my kids this lesson with a Toyota Corolla. On OEM
>tires the car was a poor handler, it wandered at speed and was very
>sensitive to cross winds and poor pavement. The ABS seemed not to work
>very well. Then I put a set of high performance Pirelli tires on the
>car. Everything changed. They couldn't believe it was the same car.
>They wore out those Pirellis in 20,000 miles but they learned a bit
>about driving.

Years (mid 80's) ago I purchased an new Audi 5000 for my daily driver
came with Pirellis from the Factory.... WIFE liked (loved) that car so
darn much she purchased an identical car (different) color for herself
about a month afterward.

Long story short... Her car was delivered with Continential Tires.

Cars drove completely different, ...The following week "we"
mounted a set of Pirelles on her car and she smiles for close to
200000 miles ....

Tires make a BIG difference...

Bob G.
64 72 & 98 Convertibles
76 & 79 Coupes

Old October 25th 07, 06:05 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

> Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
> fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy. My 93 car had a
> lot of flex is it was a convertible. The 96 was much better and real
> fun to drive.
> This 00 just made me feel like I was on a ride rather then part of the
> car. I was .... kind of scared and did not think it would be fun to
> really drive. You know what I mean drive drive, not go for a lunch
> date with the mrs. but take some turns and really drive. Dont get me
> wrong, it had raw power and if not for traction control, I would have
> had to pay for tires. Top down was great, stereo was fine and I love
> heads up display. Plenty to like.

I have a '96 and an '03. I know what you mean about the handling.
The 03 feels very much like you are perched on it. The 96 feels like
you are snuggled into it. The 96 GSC tires are slightly stickier than
the EMT's on the 03. I think that's why the Z06's don't use the
EMT's. The 96 is heavier with more body roll but slightly better
pitch and yaw stability in corners and much better yaw stability when
braking, especially on uneven pavement.
Awhile back I read a comment from someone who raced C5's
professionally. As I recall, he said that you have to just have faith
that the C5 will get through the corner as you don't get much
feedback.
I drive both the 96 and the 03 every week and through the same
turns. The best description I can give of the difference is that at
50 MPH on a typical cloverleaf loop, the 03 is busier than the 96.

Old October 25th 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
name

"ACAR" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 24, 12:59 am, "name" > wrote:
>> the corvette is fast, great value, all american, iconic
>>
>> the 911 is heaven, it bonds with the driver's soul like no other car can
>>

> You might want to test drive a Cayman. It's mid-engine layout has some
> advantages over the 911. (Some rumors are circulating that GM is
> seriously considering a mid-engined Corvette.)
>
> You should not test drive a Ferrari.

ferrari is great - it captures so much emotion for the driver like no other
car can...specially with its hot interior, and sexy engine sound
but it's expensive, high maintenance and can be bitchy easily

i've read about the mid-engine vette in a magazine...i've seriously
considered the pros/cons...and i say, corvette should stick with it's
front-engine design placement

call me a traditionalist, but the only porsche i like is the 911 carerras -
specially the king, the Turbo.
i don't care for much for the boxster, cayman, suv, or carrera gt

Old October 26th 07, 09:47 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ZÿRiX[_2_]

> wrote in message
ups.com...

>> Today I took a test drive in a 00 vert with 6 spd 29K miles. Real
>> fast car. I have to say, it felt kind of sloppy. My 93 car had a
>> lot of flex is it was a convertible. The 96 was much better and real
>> fun to drive.
>> This 00 just made me feel like I was on a ride rather then part of the
>> car. I was .... kind of scared and did not think it would be fun to
>> really drive. You know what I mean drive drive, not go for a lunch
>> date with the mrs. but take some turns and really drive. Dont get me
>> wrong, it had raw power and if not for traction control, I would have
>> had to pay for tires. Top down was great, stereo was fine and I love
>> heads up display. Plenty to like.

> I have a '96 and an '03. I know what you mean about the handling.
> The 03 feels very much like you are perched on it. The 96 feels like
> you are snuggled into it. The 96 GSC tires are slightly stickier than
> the EMT's on the 03. I think that's why the Z06's don't use the
> EMT's. The 96 is heavier with more body roll but slightly better
> pitch and yaw stability in corners and much better yaw stability when
> braking, especially on uneven pavement.
> Awhile back I read a comment from someone who raced C5's
> professionally. As I recall, he said that you have to just have faith
> that the C5 will get through the corner as you don't get much
> feedback.
> I drive both the 96 and the 03 every week and through the same
> turns. The best description I can give of the difference is that at
> 50 MPH on a typical cloverleaf loop, the 03 is busier than the 96.

Change the tires.....

--
ZÿRiX
(¯`'..(<>..<>)..'´¯)

Old October 26th 07, 03:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ACAR

On Oct 25, 5:53 pm, "name" > wrote:

> i've read about the mid-engine vette in a magazine...i've seriously
> considered the pros/cons...and i say, corvette should stick with it's
> front-engine design placement

If mid-engined is the way Corvette has to go in order to shed weight -
then so be it.
Ever increasing HP is gonna send insurance rates even higher. Corvette
has to find another way to boost performance.
A mid-engined platform should also allow for an AWD option. I'd
certainly go for that!

Traditionalists will have the new Camaro by the time the C7 comes out.

Old October 26th 07, 04:29 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Lawrence Lugar

a mid-engine vette won't decrease weight, nor increase 0-60 time
it says so in the article....if anything, it'll just add cost for the sake
of being 'exotic'

i think it was the latest isssue of Road and Track. (forgot which magazine
specifically, i subscribe to many)

pure race, track cars should be rear-wheel drive.

ups.com...