73 vw hood stuck

Old January 31st 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 73 vw hood stuck

Read all the messages about what to do to keep the hood from sticking
shut again but how do you get it open in the first place? The lever
releases in the summer time and sticks in the winter. I need to get it
open now. Any advice?

Thanks.

jq

Old January 31st 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

wrote:

>>>Read all the messages about what to do to keep the hood from sticking
>>>shut again but how do you get it open in the first place? The lever
>>>releases in the summer time and sticks in the winter. I need to get it
>>>open now. Any advice?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>jq
>>>

>> Have a helper pull on the release cable.
>>
>> You operate the hood button and push/pull violently.
>>
>>Jim

> what if that fails to work?

Ahem. Then you get out the trusty hacksaw
and make 2 cuts in the handle so that it can be
unscrewed. The latch then falls away.

Last resort...
Old January 31st 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

et...

wrote:

>>> Have a helper pull on the release cable.
>>>
>>> You operate the hood button and push/pull violently.
>>>
>>>Jim

>> what if that fails to work?

> Ahem. Then you get out the trusty hacksaw
> and make 2 cuts in the handle so that it can be
> unscrewed. The latch then falls away.
>
> Last resort...

oops !!!

I should have asked on here :-)

I cut round the handle with an angle grinder 8-/

Rich

Old January 31st 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

wrote:

>>>Read all the messages about what to do to keep the hood from sticking
>>>shut again but how do you get it open in the first place? The lever
>>>releases in the summer time and sticks in the winter. I need to get it
>>>open now. Any advice?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>jq
>>>

>> Have a helper pull on the release cable.
>>
>> You operate the hood button and push/pull violently.
>>
>>Jim

> what if that fails to work?

very little viuolence needed:

Helped pulls the release cable, you go to the front and place one hand
on the handle & button, and the other hand about a foot up on the hood
from the handle. PUSH IN firmly with the upper hand, pull out and up
with the lower hand (while pushing the button of course). Works the same
for earlier, non-button models.

This is usually enough to pop it open.

Jan
Old January 31st 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

tricky wrote:
> "Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
> et...
>
>>Neil - Usenet wrote:
>>

>>>"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message
y.net...

wrote:

>>>what if that fails to work?

>> Ahem. Then you get out the trusty hacksaw
>> and make 2 cuts in the handle so that it can be
>> unscrewed. The latch then falls away.
>>
>> Last resort...

> oops !!!
>
> I should have asked on here :-)
>
> I cut round the handle with an angle grinder 8-/
>
> Rich

If you opt for this, cover the paint surface with something to
protect it.

Jan
Old February 1st 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

"Jan" > wrote in message
> tricky wrote:
>> oops !!!
>>
>> I should have asked on here :-)
>>
>> I cut round the handle with an angle grinder 8-/
>>
>> Rich

> If you opt for this, cover the paint surface with something to protect
> it.
>
> Jan

HaHa - what - protect from the angle grinder - or me ;-)

Rich

Old February 1st 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

tricky wrote:
> "Jan" > wrote in message
>
>>tricky wrote:
>>
>>>oops !!!
>>>
>>>I should have asked on here :-)
>>>
>>>I cut round the handle with an angle grinder 8-/
>>>
>>>Rich

>> If you opt for this, cover the paint surface with something to protect
>>it.
>>
>>Jan

> HaHa - what - protect from the angle grinder - or me ;-)
>
> Rich

Lock up one of the following three at all times, out of reach, and your
VW should be ok:

1.Your VW
2.Angle Grinder
3.Rich

Jan
Old February 1st 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

:-)

Rich