VW 1st and 3rd gear will not go in to gear!

Old January 27th 07, 08:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default VW 1st and 3rd gear will not go in to gear!

Hello all,
I can not get my rail buggy to go into 1st or 3rd gear with out it
grinding and the shift rod moving forward. This is a 5 rib tranny sedan
trany I was told. gear pattern is

1 3
R2 4

I have removed the shifter completely from the rail and just used the
shifting rod. I turned the rod slightly the left and then pushed it
back. I let the clutch out and I hear a grinding and watch the rod move
forward. I tried to do this with 3rd gear and same result. I turn off
engine and tried it again and same results. I tried to push on it
really hard to get it to go into gear and no luck. I did notice that
each time when I pushed the rod I saw that there was about 1/4 " left
to still gointo the nose cone but did not move in any further.
I am going to pull the shift rod off next and try to move it into gear
but I fell that I will have the same results. I feel that it might be
in the nose cone or some where.
Questions:
Can I take the nose cone off with out messing anything up and pulling
the trany?
Any one got pics on what it should look like inside the nose cone?
i am thinking maybe something bent or blocking the hockey stick thing
from moving all the way into the trans.
Also R 2 4 gears all go into fine!
Need to get this fixed by feb 3rd so need quick help on this.. I did a
search on this problem but have not found anything that relates...

Some people say that engine and trany need to be moved forward. But
with the shift rod free it still not going in.I don't think so. I will
see if the trany and motor moved but by looking at the motor mounts.

Any help with this would be great!

Phill