identifying bug found in creek

Old January 24th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default identifying bug found in creek

Someone dumped a bug in a local creek and we're trying to determine
ownership.

Is there any way to translate serial number to VIN number?

The VIN plate by the windshield is gone, but I found 2 identification
marks:
1) Under the front hood, right above "made in western germany" plate,
there is a 5-digit stamp 32xxx.
2) I found a loose data plate, the German is hard to read, but the
fields in order a
"VW1/11" [type], "1110" [displacement?], "450" [curb weight kg?],
"-1-8967983" [hard to read, S/N?], year built illegible, "660" [gross
weight kg?]

There is no engine or chassis.

Thanks, Mike

Old January 24th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

wrote:

> Someone dumped a bug in a local creek and we're trying to determine
> ownership.
>
> Is there any way to translate serial number to VIN number?
>
> The VIN plate by the windshield is gone, but I found 2 identification
> marks:
> 1) Under the front hood, right above "made in western germany" plate,
> there is a 5-digit stamp 32xxx.
> 2) I found a loose data plate, the German is hard to read, but the
> fields in order a
> "VW1/11" [type], "1110" [displacement?], "450" [curb weight kg?],
> "-1-8967983" [hard to read, S/N?], year built illegible, "660" [gross
> weight kg?]
>
> There is no engine or chassis.
>
> Thanks, Mike

This gets a bit tricky.

I'm going to hazard a guess of 1955-58.

-1-8967983 does not compute though.

Could you take another close look? Maybe scan the plate and then
"enhance" the scan in PhotoShop or the like. Even look at it
as a negative image may help.

Some resources:
http://www.pre67vw.co.uk/production/default.aspx?id=1
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsbu...sis_number.cfm
http://www.lennysvw.com/type1chassis.htm

Try to identify features of the body which may help date it.
Dash layout.
Window sizes.
Trunk layout.
Electrical devices (fuse boxes, for example).

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Old January 25th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

What condition is the body in? Does it look like something that would
have been stolen? Have you checked with the local police department/VW
club. you also might want to check the Sambas stolen section for
anything that might have been taken in your area.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old January 25th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Flea

the vin should also be on the tunnel under the back seat near where the
coupler is for the linkage (less it has a different year pan on it from
origional)

Old January 25th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Thanks for the tips. The first digit of the Chassis# may be a 0
("-1-0967983"). I'm hesitant to scrub the rust too hard for fear of
obliterating the number.
In terms of window, the back window is not split, but it *is* rounded
on the sides, which I thought was interesting.
I will look on the back tunnel to see if there's a VIN number there. If
that location is a dataplate I'm sure that's gone also, but if it's
stamped I may be in luck. I took a couple photos that I may post as
followup.
-Mike

Old January 25th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

puzzling problem perhaps! lol
hmmm maybe a rare Water Beetle? ;-)

What years were the Ovals around? late 1953-1957?
Does it have semaphores turn signals? Or spots for them?
There might be more information here to help identify this bug besides the
other good sites.
http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/ne...e/history.html

does it look like this 1956?
http://www.vwbug.com/cgi-bin/gi_v1.cgi?a=1&b=25
or like this 1955 with semaphores?
http://www.bbt4vw.com/Car%20sales/Au...ovalwindow.php
Post some pictures so we can see the BEFORE pictures! ;-)

If I was going to guess I would say it might be a 1955
or if the heater knob is next to shifter, but you say the Chassis is
missing, it could be a 1956

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

oups.com...

Old January 25th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Try rubbing a little automatic tranny oil in to the rusty number and
then scrub it with a copper pot scrubber. This will take the worst of
the rust off without damaging the steel under it. I've done this for
old rusty guns with good results. The copper wool pot scrubber isn't
abrasive enough to damage steel but it will remove any loose surface
deposits.

Tony

Old January 26th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
n5hsr

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the tips. The first digit of the Chassis# may be a 0
> ("-1-0967983"). I'm hesitant to scrub the rust too hard for fear of
> obliterating the number.
> In terms of window, the back window is not split, but it *is* rounded
> on the sides, which I thought was interesting.
> I will look on the back tunnel to see if there's a VIN number there. If
> that location is a dataplate I'm sure that's gone also, but if it's
> stamped I may be in luck. I took a couple photos that I may post as
> followup.
> -Mike
>
> On Jan 24, 1:00 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > Someone dumped a bug in a local creek and we're trying to determine
>> > ownership.

>> > Is there any way to translate serial number to VIN number?

>> > The VIN plate by the windshield is gone, but I found 2 identification
>> > marks:
>> > 1) Under the front hood, right above "made in western germany" plate,
>> > there is a 5-digit stamp 32xxx.
>> > 2) I found a loose data plate, the German is hard to read, but the
>> > fields in order a
>> > "VW1/11" [type], "1110" [displacement?], "450" [curb weight kg?],
>> > "-1-8967983" [hard to read, S/N?], year built illegible, "660" [gross
>> > weight kg?]

>> > There is no engine or chassis.

>> > Thanks, Mike This gets a bit tricky.

>> I'm going to hazard a guess of 1955-58.
>>
>> -1-8967983 does not compute though.
>>
>> Could you take another close look? Maybe scan the plate and then
>> "enhance" the scan in PhotoShop or the like. Even look at it
>> as a negative image may help.
>>
>> Some
>> resources:http://www.pre67vw.co.uk/production/...pe1chassis.htm
>>
>> Try to identify features of the body which may help date it.
>> Dash layout.
>> Window sizes.
>> Trunk layout.
>> Electrical devices (fuse boxes, for example).
>>
>> Speedy Jimhttp://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
>>
>> "I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has
>> teats!"
>> Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder
>> engine.

OK, according to The Samba vehicle 1-0967983 was produced in mid September
1955.

Chances are if you got the vin right so far, it's very probably a 1955 or
very early 1956 (Model year starts Aug 1 after 1955)

Should have the oval rear window, no turn signals, or little turn signals
down below the headlights and to the outside on the fender. Dinky little
taillights. If there's a battery, it should be a 6 volt battery under the
rear seat. Straight up frames on the vent windows.

Charles of Schaumburg.

Old January 26th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

I took another look at the car:
The taillights are gone, just brackets remain.
There is no tunnel where the back seat used to be, just a steel bench
with no markings anywhere.
No further markings or stamps in the engine compartment.
I don't know what semaphore turn signals are, but there are teeny tiny
turn signals up front outboard of the headlights.
The vent windows have vertical frames.

I think it's safe to say this is an September 1955 (1956 model) bug.

So back to the killer question:

Can the I or the cops or the DMV convert a VW Chassis number to a VIN
number?

Thanks, Mike

Stevens Creek Honda is cheating PK Honda 8 January 10th 06 04:18 AM
I found a new cockpit gtlover Driving 1 September 16th 05 01:49 AM
I found a new cockpit gtlover Simulators 0 September 15th 05 09:07 AM
found my engine problem george taylor VW air cooled 3 September 11th 05 02:40 AM
warman gets paid oil money [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 June 7th 05 09:19 PM