REAL air filter testing. More proof that K&N is junk.

Old January 3rd 05, 10:42 PM
Steve W.

Default REAL air filter testing. More proof that K&N is junk.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Let's see
K&N passed MORE dirt/dust and plugged up faster than just about every
other filter tested.

(Arlen) SPICER wrote,

"Now that I am not doing the tests and my objectivity is not necessary,
let me explain my motivation. The reason I started this crusade was that
I was seeing people spend a lot of money on aftermarket filters based on
the word of a salesperson or based on the misleading, incomplete or
outright deceiving information printed on boxes and in sales literature.
Gentlemen and Ladies, Marketing and the lure of profit is VERY POWERFUL!
It is amazing how many people believe that better airflow = more power!
Unless you have modifications out the wazoo, a more porous filter will
just dirty your oil! Some will say " I have used aftermarket brand X for
XXX # years with no problems. The PROBLEM is you spent a chunk of change
on a product that not only DID NOT increase your horsepower, but also
let in a lot of dirt while doing it! Now how much is a lot? ANY MORE
THAN NECESSARY is TOO MUCH!

Others are persuaded by the claims of aftermarket manufacturers that
their filters filter dirt "better than any other filter on the market."
Sounds very enticing. To small timers like you and me, spending $1500 to
test a filter sounds like a lot. But if you were a filter manufacturer
and you believed your filter could filter dirt better than any other
media on the market, wouldn't you want to prove it? Guess what. Test
your filter vs. the OE paper. It will cost you $3000 and for that price
you will have the data that you can use in your advertisements. Your
investment will be returned a thousand fold! EASIER than shooting fish
in a barrel! So why don't these manufacturers do this? Hmmm? Probably
not because they would feel guilty about taking more market share.

Now I am not saying that ALL aftermarket filters are useless. A paper
filter does not do well if directly wetted or muddy. It may collapse.
This is why many off-road filters are foam. It is a compromise between
filtering efficiency and protection from a collapsed filter. Now how
many of our trucks collapse their filters from mud and water? However,
if a filter is using "better airflow" as their marketing tool, remember
this....Does it flow better? At very high airflow volumes, probably.
BUT, Our trucks CAN'T flow that much air unless super-modified, so what
is the point? The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give
you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give. And this remains true
until the filter is dirty enough to trip the air filter life indicator.
At that point performance will decline somewhat. Replace the filter and
get on with it.

SURPRISE!!!
--
Steve Williams

Old January 4th 05, 01:16 AM
David Kelly

In article >, "Steve W." >
wrote:

> http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
>

> Let's see
> K&N passed MORE dirt/dust and plugged up faster than just about every
> other filter tested.

I once found a site in Japanese where some creative street racers
decided to test filters. They used a shop vac, a measured spoonful of
copier toner, and what appeared to be coffee filters. As usual the K&N
was near the bottom in filtering ability.

They were also quite worried about MAP sensor failures on oiled air
filter equipped cars. Both K&N gauze type and oiled foam.

Its more extreme with a Diesel, as in the SPICER test above, but any
reduction in restriction (K&N's claim to fame) is compensated by closing
the throttle. Your engine requires one quantity of air per unit of work
and this quantity is regulated by the sum of the throttle plate, air
filter restriction, and other intake restrictions. Reduce restriction on
one and increase it on another to maintain the same quantity of air. So
unless your foot is pressed against the floorboard the air filter
restriction doesn't matter.

With the HP race automakers want every cheap horse they can find. If air
filters were as important for HP as K&N suggests then all an automaker
has to do is increase the size of their paper air filters. Bigger paper
filters flow the same volume with less restriction. Only example I know
of is the huge Porsche 928 air filter.

Old January 4th 05, 01:16 AM
David Kelly

Old January 4th 05, 01:54 AM
Paul

You are right the benefit of K/N is questionable. If it is that good, why
doesn't car manufacturer install them in their car? As far as increase
horsepower! all people have to do is to remove the air filter and try it out
to see if they can tell an improvement. Replace the filter after the test
run. My brother has purchased after market K/N cold air intake. We have
tested the car with and without using G-Tech (accelerometer to test for
acceleration). Test after tests, weather condition, road condition. There
is no benefit. We did not test its filtration ability but sound the copier
toner is a logical way to test.

Old January 4th 05, 01:54 AM
Paul

Old January 4th 05, 01:58 AM
GMC Gremlin

WOW.

Once it got to a throw-away paper filter, I figured it would all be the
same. I think I should look into finding an AC Delco that meets the size
I've decided on for my beast!!

GMC Gremlin

Old January 4th 05, 01:58 AM
GMC Gremlin

Old January 4th 05, 01:49 PM
Corey Shuman

I wont defend K&N officially however, the comment that you dont need
that extra air and wont benefit from it is ludicrous. More air, and
cooler air, to a point will get you more power, maybe not enough to
really notice.. 5-6 hp is probably about average. Why doesnt the dealer
put it on, because it gives a bit more growl with that extra flow. add
a CAI set up and you really increase noise. It all depends on the
vehicle. My Discovery runs just fine with the factory filter and being
that dirt is the issue on an offroad vehicle I would prefer to be safe
rather than sorry. However, a conical filter (not K&N) on a high flow
CAI set up produces noticible increase in high end power on every BMW I
have put them on, plus the roar you get with the CAI/foam filter is
awesome.

Old January 5th 05, 12:54 AM
Paul Proefrock

This is a very interesting study. It displays the AC Delco filter in almost
the same light as others try to display the K&N filter.

Are there other studies out there like this? It is difficult to analyze one
versus another. But if there were three different, unrelated surveys and
they all pointed the same way . . .

Thinking twice about putting a K&N on my new vehicle. Maybe it belongs on
eBay instead?

Paul P