Changing rear diff fluid (91 XJ): don't want to R&R the diff cover...

Old May 2nd 05, 03:58 AM
Doug

Default Changing rear diff fluid (91 XJ): don't want to R&R the diff cover...

What about pumping out the old fluid through the fill hole? Would this be
OK? I guess if there were any metal particles in the fluid the pump wouldn't
pick them up?

--
Remove nospam to email

Old May 2nd 05, 04:51 AM
DougW

Doug did pass the time by typing:
> What about pumping out the old fluid through the fill hole? Would this be
> OK? I guess if there were any metal particles in the fluid the pump wouldn't
> pick them up?

It works just fine for routine changes and when you don't want to
inspect anything. Make your life a bit easier and get a good quality
suction gun/pump and collection jar. I use a glass jar because to get the
lube out easily you should take a nice drive for a few miles to heat
up the lube.

--
DougW

Old May 2nd 05, 01:55 PM
Mike Romain

I always recommend opening up the cover for the first change and then
figure pumping is safe after.

The first change will have metal in it, subsequent changes should only
be needed to pump out water.

Don't forget to follow the directions on the gasket sealer/maker you
use. Lots like RTV need 24 hours to cure before you add fluid to insure
they don't leak.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 2nd 05, 07:42 PM
Doug

Thanks Mike, the rear cover is going to have to come off then.

--
Remove nospam to email

Old May 2nd 05, 07:56 PM
Jeff Strickland

What is the aversion to removing the diff cover?

Raise the vehicle by the frame and let the axle hang, remove the bolts, but
leave a couple in to hold the cover on, insert a putty knife and let the oil
drain out.

Old May 4th 05, 07:32 PM
Doug

This is the only vehicle I have and it takes 24 hours for the RTV to dry.

--
Remove nospam to email

Old May 4th 05, 07:58 PM
Mike Romain

I put a spot light or portable electric heater pointed right at the
cover if I want to push it and say fill it early next morning or when
the temp is really cold out.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 4th 05, 11:18 PM
DougW

Doug did pass the time by typing:
> This is the only vehicle I have and it takes 24 hours for the RTV to dry.

They make fast set RTV. http://www.permatex.com/
Check the package for Hylomar HPF, I think it's ready
in under 12 hours.

--
DougW

Old May 6th 05, 10:38 PM
JohnM

DougW wrote:
> Doug did pass the time by typing:
>
>>This is the only vehicle I have and it takes 24 hours for the RTV to dry.

> They make fast set RTV. http://www.permatex.com/
> Check the package for Hylomar HPF, I think it's ready
> in under 12 hours.

Or use gasket shellac, should set in a very short time.

John
Old May 7th 05, 12:55 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You're scarring me, that's not that stuff that sets rock hard, that
uses about ninety percent of my engine rebuilding time chiseling off, is
it?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/