AMP connectors

Old September 25th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
nutso fasst

Default AMP connectors

I was able to get the AMP connector off the cold start valve with a tiny
screwdriver. But others are not so easy. When I tried to get the connector
off the thermo time switch using only my fingers, rotten plastic cracked
away, leaving the wire clip hanging. And I don't have a clue how to get the
connector off the control pressure regulator to test resistance, as one side
is inaccessible. Is there an easy way to remove these connectors? And, when
rotted out (with rotten rubber protector flaking away), where to find
replacements?

Thanks.
nf

Old September 25th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

Toyota and VW dealers have replacement connectors.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:38:38 -0700, "nutso fasst"

Old September 25th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
nutso fasst

"Jim Behning" > wrote in message
> Toyota and VW dealers have replacement connectors.

Thanks (though I shudder anticipating the cost). Any tips for pulling them
apart?

Old September 25th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"nutso fasst" > wrote:

>I was able to get the AMP connector off the cold start valve with a tiny
>screwdriver. But others are not so easy. When I tried to get the connector
>off the thermo time switch using only my fingers, rotten plastic cracked
>away, leaving the wire clip hanging. And I don't have a clue how to get the
>connector off the control pressure regulator to test resistance, as one side
>is inaccessible. Is there an easy way to remove these connectors? And, when
>rotted out (with rotten rubber protector flaking away), where to find
>replacements?

Also available he
http://www.eagleday.com/ampconnectors.html

Todd
Old September 25th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Always post car info when asking questions! Even if we know you! You might
have several vehicles! ;-)

Use a small pick to remove metal clip from connector without popping that
clip somewhere far away.

Junkyard should have connectors too!
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old September 25th 08, 10:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
nutso fasst

> wrote in message
> "nutso fasst" > wrote:
> Also available he
> http://www.eagleday.com/ampconnectors.html

$12-$25 per connector. Ouch.

Thanks for the link.

Old September 25th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

I go to the junkyard to salvage. As I noted my 1987 Toyota has the
same connectors. As mentioned you use a small screwdriver or pick to
pop the stainless steel retainer clip off about a 1/4 " on both sides.
Actually it is more like an 1/8". Then the connector slides off. If
the connector has fallen apart from heat and chemicals you just
replace it. It is just the cost of maintaining an older car. I have a
few I need to replace on my Toyota as they have started to fall apart
but they are hard to get to and the truck is running fine. If you are
trying to fix an old VW you have to fix everything you see as you come
across problems. Ignoring one or two issues soon becomes 5 things
messed up. Not unlike a computer. It is not always just one thing
wrong that is causing the problem, it could be 5 things wrong. 5 minor
issues becomes one major problem.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 02:51:15 -0700, "nutso fasst"
> wrote:

.. .

Old September 29th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_4_]

got to be cheaper than running all over town. They are cheaper than GAS!

Old September 30th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Dioclese

"nutso fasst" > wrote in message
>I was able to get the AMP connector off the cold start valve with a tiny
> screwdriver. But others are not so easy. When I tried to get the connector
> off the thermo time switch using only my fingers, rotten plastic cracked
> away, leaving the wire clip hanging. And I don't have a clue how to get
> the
> connector off the control pressure regulator to test resistance, as one
> side
> is inaccessible. Is there an easy way to remove these connectors? And,
> when
> rotted out (with rotten rubber protector flaking away), where to find
> replacements?
>
> Thanks.
> nf

Method that I used on my 88VW was with small screwdriver (#3 I think?) and a
small pair of needlenosed pliers. Pried out one end with screwdriver, then
held in place with the pliers. Then, worked out the other end with the
screwdriver and pushed it off while aiding in the same direction with the
pliers on the other end. Never lost the clip either as its held by the
pliers at all times.

If the control pressure regulator is like the one on my VW, you might
consider just bending the clip off and replacing it with another one.
That's what I did.
--
Dave

Old September 30th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
nutso fasst

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message
> Method that I used on my 88VW was with small screwdriver (#3 I think?) and

> small pair of needlenosed pliers. Pried out one end with screwdriver,

then
> held in place with the pliers. Then, worked out the other end with the
> screwdriver and pushed it off while aiding in the same direction with the
> pliers on the other end. Never lost the clip either as its held by the
> pliers at all times.

That sounds reasonable. Thanks. I know I've removed these before (replaced
the AAV) but now it seems so difficult. Maybe the plastic is more
deteriorated or maybe I'm just losing my mind.

Add USB connectors to a Miata? Grant Edwards Mazda 13 December 1st 07 03:51 AM
toyota electrical connectors yourname Technology 0 June 15th 07 05:47 PM
Wiring connectors George Rhude Chrysler 2 February 10th 07 09:24 PM
electrical connectors RayV Technology 11 September 21st 06 06:53 PM
SubFrame Connectors Steph Ford Mustang 5 February 11th 05 04:42 AM