Engine will not turn over, interior lights on but no head lights or sounds when key in ignition

Old April 5th 05, 02:00 AM

Default Engine will not turn over, interior lights on but no head lights or sounds when key in ignition

I made a right turn into my driveway this evening and my 96 ford
contour COMPLETELY died! No studder, no nothing. When I put the key in
the ignition there is no sounds and no dash illuminition. The interior
lights are bright but there are no headlights or taillights.

What could this be?

Old April 5th 05, 03:15 AM

I checked all fuses and the fusable link (i think the big black fuse)I
looked at all of the relays and all "appears" to be ok. How do you tell
if a fuse is bad?

I stated in my original post that the tail light do not work but they
do.

Headlights dead, key acc dead, no turn over, no sounds.

Interiorlights work, brakes work, elec door locks work ect?

This is a weird one! I am willing to send a check for 25 bucks to the
one who can tip me off on the correct problem! No joke!!!

Old April 5th 05, 06:13 AM
Steve W.

Bad ignition switch.

--
Steve W.

oups.com...

Old April 5th 05, 06:53 PM
ed

What is your battery voltage?
A loose belt or bad alternator would have run your battery down to light the
small things and stall the car after a while of no charging. Start there.

( no compensation required)

Old April 5th 05, 06:54 PM
ed

oh, and I do mean check the volts with someone turning the key or pull the
battery and have it checked at the parts store.

Old April 6th 05, 01:45 AM

Thanks Everyone. I found the problem. The battery has been leaking acid
on to the wireing harnes making it weak. The harnes was also in a very
bad spot pinched between the battery and platform it sits on. Two of
the larger wires were severed allowing only 1/2 of the total functions
to work.