Gel car batteries

Old May 2nd 08, 02:13 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
observer

Default Gel car batteries

I was in an auto parts store and in conversation, the gel batteries
came up. Unfortunately I could buy a regular 36mos/84mos. battery for
$85 (w/core) and the same gel was $200 (I guess with core also).
Anyway around where I am, the average battery is good for 3 to 4 years
(bakes in the hot sun... 95F typical summer day). Seems like this
gel battery is not worth the money but any comments if I'm wrong and
why? I must have had my head in the sand because I never heard of
them and this auto parts person said he's had his for 2 years (which
didn't help me decide since most batteries will do that easily around
here).
Old May 2nd 08, 02:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

<observer> wrote in message
>I was in an auto parts store and in conversation, the gel batteries
> came up. Unfortunately I could buy a regular 36mos/84mos. battery
> for
> $85 (w/core) and the same gel was $200 (I guess with core also).
> Anyway around where I am, the average battery is good for 3 to 4
> years
> (bakes in the hot sun... 95F typical summer day). Seems like this
> gel battery is not worth the money but any comments if I'm wrong and
> why? I must have had my head in the sand because I never heard of
> them and this auto parts person said he's had his for 2 years (which
> didn't help me decide since most batteries will do that easily
> around
> here).

Not an option for me, to many but not all of the people I know that
paid the big money have had failures. Although we don't have the
baking weather you speak of we do have -20° to +100° and I have a
Delco stock battery in my truck that is 6 years old (watch it quit
tonight).

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old May 2nd 08, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

observer wrote:
> I was in an auto parts store and in conversation, the gel batteries
> came up. Unfortunately I could buy a regular 36mos/84mos. battery for
> $85 (w/core) and the same gel was $200 (I guess with core also).
> Anyway around where I am, the average battery is good for 3 to 4 years
> (bakes in the hot sun... 95F typical summer day). Seems like this
> gel battery is not worth the money but any comments if I'm wrong and
> why? I must have had my head in the sand because I never heard of
> them and this auto parts person said he's had his for 2 years (which
> didn't help me decide since most batteries will do that easily around
> here).

Rundown on Gel, AGM & conventional batts:
<
http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html#3

Opinion: -- unlike airplanes and computers, most
cars lack precise battery chargers. Like Dad,
an alternator with lead-acid works for me.

--
pj
Old May 2nd 08, 11:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

<observer> wrote in message
>I was in an auto parts store and in conversation, the gel
>batteries
> came up. Unfortunately I could buy a regular 36mos/84mos.
> battery for
> $85 (w/core) and the same gel was $200 (I guess with core
> also).
> Anyway around where I am, the average battery is good for
> 3 to 4 years
> (bakes in the hot sun... 95F typical summer day). Seems
> like this
> gel battery is not worth the money but any comments if I'm
> wrong and
> why? I must have had my head in the sand because I never
> heard of
> them and this auto parts person said he's had his for 2
> years (which
> didn't help me decide since most batteries will do that
> easily around
> here).

If you want your battery to last longer ?
forget the gel battery and get a Battery Tender...
http://www.batterytender.com/

g'day
--
'Key
=====

Dual Batteries Big Iron Jeep 8 March 25th 08 03:20 AM
Car Batteries. [email protected] Technology 0 March 19th 07 05:32 PM
97 SC2 Batteries HyperCube33 Saturn 3 September 15th 06 03:17 AM
SI batteries - 87 E30 320i Andrew Allen BMW 2 March 31st 06 07:20 PM
Optima Batteries Mike Moeller Mazda 0 April 26th 05 05:45 AM