Tire load ratings

Old June 1st 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Kurt P. Herzog

Default Tire load ratings

I have been running Les Schwab XTX tires on my half-ton Chevy 4x4 with
good results, though I still get an occasional flat from rock
punctures on gravel roads. The tires are "C" load rating. The all-up
weight of the rig is 6100 lbs. I would like to get better protection
from punctures, as at my age it is a real chore to change a wheel.

My question is what are the trade-offs of upping the load rating on
the next set to "D"? Will I see any difference in tire tread wear?
Any difference in the ride? Any adjustment to air pressure? Any
reduction in punctures?

Thanks . . . Kurt

Kurt Herzog

Grants Pass, Oregon
Old June 1st 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:43:35 -0700, Kurt P. Herzog
> wrote:

>I have been running Les Schwab XTX tires on my half-ton Chevy 4x4 with
>good results, though I still get an occasional flat from rock
>punctures on gravel roads. The tires are "C" load rating. The all-up
>weight of the rig is 6100 lbs. I would like to get better protection
>from punctures, as at my age it is a real chore to change a wheel.
>
>My question is what are the trade-offs of upping the load rating on
>the next set to "D"? Will I see any difference in tire tread wear?
>Any difference in the ride? Any adjustment to air pressure? Any
>reduction in punctures?
>
>Thanks . . . Kurt
>
>Kurt Herzog
>
>Grants Pass, Oregon

The problems you are having are more the result of dside wall
thickness than ply rating. Truck radials can have thin side walls.
They are designed that way to reduce power loss to flexing , run
cooler and allow tread to stay in better contact with road. You need
to try a LT tire with thicker and stiffer sidewalls. You might look at
a BGF AT tires because they are known for their 3 ply sidewalls and
thicker rubber too vs most other radial LT tires only having 2 plys
there. They may be other tires too out their but the BFG's are know
for this and have been for years. The ride a bit stiffer because their
is less sidewall flex but they are a lot more durable in sidewall area
and may be the answer to your problems.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old June 1st 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
PeterD

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:43:35 -0700, Kurt P. Herzog
> wrote:

>I have been running Les Schwab XTX tires on my half-ton Chevy 4x4 with
>good results, though I still get an occasional flat from rock
>punctures on gravel roads. The tires are "C" load rating. The all-up
>weight of the rig is 6100 lbs. I would like to get better protection
>from punctures, as at my age it is a real chore to change a wheel.
>
>My question is what are the trade-offs of upping the load rating on
>the next set to "D"? Will I see any difference in tire tread wear?
>Any difference in the ride? Any adjustment to air pressure? Any
>reduction in punctures?
>
>Thanks . . . Kurt
>
>Kurt Herzog
>
>Grants Pass, Oregon

Load range letters mean virtually nothing, do not correlate to any
specific load rating in pounds (or kilograms, or whatevers) nor do
they translate from one tire size or brand to another.

The only useful thing is the rating in pounds/kg.

And if you are getting punctures from rocks through the tread,
something is seriously wrong!
Old June 4th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
C. E. White[_1_]

"PeterD" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:43:35 -0700, Kurt P. Herzog
> > wrote:
>
>>I have been running Les Schwab XTX tires on my half-ton Chevy 4x4
>>with
>>good results, though I still get an occasional flat from rock
>>punctures on gravel roads. The tires are "C" load rating. The
>>all-up
>>weight of the rig is 6100 lbs. I would like to get better
>>protection
>>from punctures, as at my age it is a real chore to change a wheel.
>>
>>My question is what are the trade-offs of upping the load rating on
>>the next set to "D"? Will I see any difference in tire tread wear?
>>Any difference in the ride? Any adjustment to air pressure? Any
>>reduction in punctures?
>>
>>Thanks . . . Kurt
>>
>>Kurt Herzog
>>
>>Grants Pass, Oregon

> Load range letters mean virtually nothing, do not correlate to any
> specific load rating in pounds (or kilograms, or whatevers) nor do
> they translate from one tire size or brand to another.

Wrong information. For a given size/type, the loading ratings for a
particular "letter" will be the same regardless of the manufacturer.
This doesn't necessarily mean that one brand of tire might not be
better than another, but they will all be rated the same.

For example, here is an example of one size of load range C light
truck tires from four brands:

Michelin LT235/75R15/C - 1985@50 (single)
BF Goodrich LT235/75R15/C - 1985@50 (single)
Goodyear LT235/7515/C - 1985@50 psi (single)
Cooper LT235/75R15/C - 1985@ 50 psi (single)

Notice they all have the same maximum load rating at the same maximum
pressure. The actual load rating at the recommended pressure for a
particular application will be less of course.

See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=55

> The only useful thing is the rating in pounds/kg.
>
> And if you are getting punctures from rocks through the tread,
> something is seriously wrong!

Light truck tires are generally better able to handle rocks that than
"P" series tires. Over-inflation makes any tire more vulnerable to
rock damage. I can remember a few years ago when on of the neighbors
got a new truck. He lived down a 3 mile long gravel road. In the first
month he lost 2 tires to rock cuts in the tread area (Firestoen P
Metric Tires). My Father asked him what pressure he was running. He
was running them at the max pressure listed on the tire's sidewall. My
Father told him to reduce the pressure to the recommended pressure
shown on the vehicle's inflation placard. Problem solved - he didn't
loose another tire.

Ed

Old June 4th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:22:35 -0400, "C. E. White"
> wrote:

>"PeterD" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:43:35 -0700, Kurt P. Herzog
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I have been running Les Schwab XTX tires on my half-ton Chevy 4x4
>>>with
>>>good results, though I still get an occasional flat from rock
>>>punctures on gravel roads. The tires are "C" load rating. The
>>>all-up
>>>weight of the rig is 6100 lbs. I would like to get better
>>>protection
>>>from punctures, as at my age it is a real chore to change a wheel.
>>>
>>>My question is what are the trade-offs of upping the load rating on
>>>the next set to "D"? Will I see any difference in tire tread wear?
>>>Any difference in the ride? Any adjustment to air pressure? Any
>>>reduction in punctures?
>>>
>>>Thanks . . . Kurt
>>>
>>>Kurt Herzog
>>>
>>>Grants Pass, Oregon

>> Load range letters mean virtually nothing, do not correlate to any
>> specific load rating in pounds (or kilograms, or whatevers) nor do
>> they translate from one tire size or brand to another.

>Wrong information. For a given size/type, the loading ratings for a
>particular "letter" will be the same regardless of the manufacturer.
>This doesn't necessarily mean that one brand of tire might not be
>better than another, but they will all be rated the same.

You are correct. Load range "C" means it has a 6 ply rating and is a
50PSI tire as a D can be 60 or 65 *depending on brand, a E 80 PSI and
a F 100 PSI and so on. Higher PSI rating mean tires have to have
stroung sidewall plys to withstand extra pressure. Like I stated
earlier though the BFG A/T has a tri gaurd 3 ply sidewall that offer
much better rock protection

>For example, here is an example of one size of load range C light
>truck tires from four brands:
>
>Michelin LT235/75R15/C - 1985@50 (single)
>BF Goodrich LT235/75R15/C - 1985@50 (single)
>Goodyear LT235/7515/C - 1985@50 psi (single)
>Cooper LT235/75R15/C - 1985@ 50 psi (single)
>
>Notice they all have the same maximum load rating at the same maximum
>pressure. The actual load rating at the recommended pressure for a
>particular application will be less of course.
>
>See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=55
>

>> The only useful thing is the rating in pounds/kg.
>>
>> And if you are getting punctures from rocks through the tread,
>> something is seriously wrong!

>Light truck tires are generally better able to handle rocks that than
>"P" series tires. Over-inflation makes any tire more vulnerable to
>rock damage. I can remember a few years ago when on of the neighbors
>got a new truck. He lived down a 3 mile long gravel road. In the first
>month he lost 2 tires to rock cuts in the tread area (Firestoen P
>Metric Tires). My Father asked him what pressure he was running. He
>was running them at the max pressure listed on the tire's sidewall. My
>Father told him to reduce the pressure to the recommended pressure
>shown on the vehicle's inflation placard. Problem solved - he didn't
>loose another tire.
>
>Ed

There is too schools of thought on tire PSI and rock cuts. Some seem
to think that lower pressure muake cuts lees likely while others say
not. It really depends on the "rock" If you are driving down big
chunky gravel roads, you want higher pressure because you want less
squat in tire and therfore less bulge as ground level of sidewall to
be cut by rock. As stated earlier, try a BFG A/T with thicker.
storunger sidewalls or if you want max durabilty get some old 8 or 10
ply rated non radial bias ply tires as the sidewalls have the same ply
strength as tread. I have never lost a sidewall with then off road. I
also use these low tech tires on my plow trucks in winter as their
sturdy design resists damge from hidden object and curb in the snow.
The trade off it is somewhat reduced handling and increased rolling
resistance and shorter tire life than a radial but they will take a
lot of abuse otherwise off road.

TheSnoMan.com

Tires sizes and effect on speed/load ratings? y_p_w Technology 5 November 15th 06 02:47 AM
concord,ca police department gives people tickets that have 525lbs. in a 1 ton pu truck and when the tire load range. on ea tire is 3042lbs. blue sky Driving 2 March 19th 06 05:58 PM
Ratings Robot dj BMW 12 March 16th 06 02:14 AM
tire inflation chart, max load vrs. normal driving jeff Ford Explorer 2 December 13th 05 01:36 PM
MPG ratings NJ Vike Chrysler 10 September 25th 05 03:29 PM