Power Steering Fluid vs Slick 50?

Old March 13th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Power Steering Fluid vs Slick 50?

is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand oil
additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?

Larry Von

Old March 14th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:21:32 -0800, "Barbara Harris"
> wrote:

>is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand oil
>additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?
>
> Larry Von

It is possible to substitute liquid comet for a synthetic brand oil
additive. The question would be why in the heck would someone do it?
Steve B.
Old March 14th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:09:14 GMT Steve B. > wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:21:32 -0800, "Barbara Harris"
> > wrote:
>
> >is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand oil
> >additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?

> It is possible to substitute liquid comet for a synthetic brand oil
> additive. The question would be why in the heck would someone do it?
> Steve B.

To be different?

--
remove MYSHOES to email
Old March 14th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Barbara Harris wrote:
> is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand oil
> additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?
>
> Larry Von

Only one way to find out.

--
Thank you,

Old March 14th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Barbara Harris wrote:
> is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand oil
> additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?
>
> Larry Von

It's possible to substitute it, sure. But I would not recommend either
the substitution or the use of Slick 50 or any other additive. I would
use fluids as follows:

1. Engine oil in the engine.
2. Transmission fluid in the transmission.
3. Power steering fluid in the power steering unit.
4. Brake fluid in the master cylinder.
5. Coolant in the cooling system.
6. Washer fluid in the washer fluid reservoir.
7. Slick 50, Motor Honey, snake oil and other additives should be left
on the shelf and save yourself a bunch of money.

Old March 14th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Barbara Harris wrote:
[ snip ]
> Larry Von

Gender identity crisis on top of sheer stupidity.

Old March 14th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Backbone > wrote:
> wrote in message
>power steering fluid goes in the power steering reservoir.
>
>here we go again, transmission fluid goes in the automatic x-mission,
>motor oil goes in the crankcase.

But, reportedly that blue stuff that goes into toilets makes a really
fine martini.
--scott

Old March 14th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
power steering fluid goes in the power steering reservoir.

here we go again, transmission fluid goes in the automatic x-mission,
motor oil goes in the crankcase.

LOL - Troll -->>Plonk!!

Old March 14th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Barbara Harris" > wrote in message
> is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand

oil
> additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?

NO! Best thing to do to prolong the life of your PowerSteeringPump is to
add a filter to your PowerSteeringPumps return line!

Old March 14th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Barbara Harris wrote:

> is it possible to substitute power steering fluid for a synthetic brand oil
> additive e.g., slick 50, prolong, duralube?

Read the vehicle's owner's manual. It tells you to not add anything to
the engine oil, usually for good reason.

Power steering fluid may be like Dexron transmission fluid (for some
cars Dexron is even specified as the power steering fluid), in which
case it contains a high enough concentration of detergent to damage the
engine in the long run.. This is why when a pint of Dexron is added to
the engine oil to clean out a stuck valve lifter, the oil and filter
have to be changed in 100 miles and then again in another 100 miles.

Consumer Reports found no reduction in engine wear in NYC taxicabs
running Slick 50, and, contrary to what additive sellers claim, regular
high-grade motor oil (anything with an API certification of SL or SM,
in the case of gasoline engines) contains all the needed additives, and
at least 20% it is additives. So if your engine uses $10 worth of oil
(5 quarts), that's $2 for the additives, compared to $10-20 for a
bottle of Slippery-50. (actually it may be more like $1 because
viscosity improvers are a different type of additive). Would you
rather use an additive package that's been tested and quality certified
by the API and approved by the company that designed, built, and
warrants your engine, or would you rather take your chances with
something uncertified and marketed with false claims?