Blind Spot Detection

Old January 16th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Blind Spot Detection

Arif Khokar wrote:
> jaybird wrote:
> > "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message

> >>What's so hard about adjusting your mirrors correctly?

> > Or applying some $1.99 convex stick-on mirrors in the bottom corner of the
> > car's mirrors...

> Proper adjustment of side mirrors practically eliminates the need for
> such add-ons.

You keep forgetting to add "...depending on the vehicle and situation."

Dave

Old January 16th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Dave in SD" > wrote in message

>> Proper adjustment of side mirrors practically eliminates the need for
>> such add-ons.

> You keep forgetting to add "...depending on the vehicle and situation."

He used the qualifier "practically" signifying some room for
exception.

Bernard

Old January 16th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

BE wrote:

> Mirrors are for magicians, I turn my head and look.

Driving down the road at ~70 mph with your head turned the other way is
for idiots. I adjust my mirrors properly.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; drove that)

Old January 16th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:
>> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message

>>>What's so hard about adjusting your mirrors correctly?

>> Or applying some $1.99 convex stick-on mirrors in the bottom corner of
>> the car's mirrors...

> Proper adjustment of side mirrors practically eliminates the need for such
> add-ons.

Well, congratulations. I like the little round mirrors in addition.

--
---
jaybird

Old January 17th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:43:05 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>>>For all the idiots who don't set their side mirrors correctly and/or
>>>drive a vehicle so big that blind spots are unavoidable:

>What's so hard about adjusting your mirrors correctly?
>
>nate

Agreed. I don't believe in blind spots.

*************************
Dave
Old January 17th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:17:09 -0500, "BE" > wrote:

>> The problem is that state drivers manuals do not detail the proper way to
>> adjust the side mirrors.

>Mirrors are for magicians, I turn my head and look.

Which is far more dangerous. Your eyes should be focused on where
your vehicle is going - to the front.

*************************
Dave
Old January 17th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

jaybird wrote:
> "Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> > jaybird wrote:

> >> Or applying some $1.99 convex stick-on mirrors in the bottom corner of
> >> the car's mirrors...

> > Proper adjustment of side mirrors practically eliminates the need for such
> > add-ons.

> Well, congratulations. I like the little round mirrors in addition.
>
> --
> ---
> jaybird
> ---
> I am not the cause of your problems.
> My actions are the result of your actions.
> Your life is not my fault.

That is something I have been meaining to add to the F150 but never got
around to it. It has the manual mirrors so you can't adjust from the
seat and did I ever miss not being able to change it a month ago.
Wound up needing to take it into city traffic (Spokane, Wa) as the car
had a flat. The F150 is my wood hauling rig so hardly ever gets into
heavy traffic thus the passenger mirror is adjusted to show the side of
the PU for ease in backing. Really makes a guy realize how big that
blind spot can be.

Harry K

Old January 17th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Harry K" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> jaybird wrote:

>> > Proper adjustment of side mirrors practically eliminates the need for
>> > such
>> > add-ons.

>> Well, congratulations. I like the little round mirrors in addition.
>>
>> --
>> ---
>> jaybird
>> ---
>> I am not the cause of your problems.
>> My actions are the result of your actions.
>> Your life is not my fault.

> That is something I have been meaining to add to the F150 but never got
> around to it. It has the manual mirrors so you can't adjust from the
> seat and did I ever miss not being able to change it a month ago.
> Wound up needing to take it into city traffic (Spokane, Wa) as the car
> had a flat. The F150 is my wood hauling rig so hardly ever gets into
> heavy traffic thus the passenger mirror is adjusted to show the side of
> the PU for ease in backing. Really makes a guy realize how big that
> blind spot can be.

Yeah, I like the little mirrors because no matter where yours are angled,
you can still see any traffic next to you in them.

--
---
jaybird

Old January 17th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave in SD wrote:
> Arif Khokar wrote:
> > jaybird wrote:

> > > Or applying some $1.99 convex stick-on mirrors in the bottom corner of the
> > > car's mirrors...

> > Proper adjustment of side mirrors practically eliminates the need for
> > such add-ons.

> You keep forgetting to add "...depending on the vehicle and situation."
>
> Dave

yeah, mirrors are much better now than they used to be. The little
round things that they used in the 50's and 60's are nowhere near as
nice as the big rectangular ones that they've been putting on cars
since the early 80's. I can see having a blind spot in an old car,
even if the mirror(s) are adjusted correctly.

even scarier, my '55 coupe shows no signs of ever having had outside
mirrors installed. I will have to rectify that one of these days, but
my vanity will probably mandate installing some of the little round
repros rather than the preferable modern style mirrors...

nate

Old January 17th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave in SD wrote:
> Arif Khokar wrote:
> > jaybird wrote:

> > > Or applying some $1.99 convex stick-on mirrors in the bottom corner of the
> > > car's mirrors...

> > Proper adjustment of side mirrors practically eliminates the need for
> > such add-ons.

> You keep forgetting to add "...depending on the vehicle and situation."

Out of 10 different vehicle models I've driven over the years, not one
of them had a blindspot large enough to hide a car with proper mirror
adjustment.

If I can adjust the mirrors on a Ford Expedition such that I don't have
"traditional" blindspots, there's no reason why someone driving any
vehicle short of a semi should have a large blind spot using the same
type of mirror adjustment.

As for motorcyclists who decide to ride in such a way that they
position themselves in the blindspot that sometimes occurs between the
FOV of the rear view and side view mirrors (which can be easily
eliminated by slight adjustment of either mirror), then they're just
asking for it.

$20000.00 in Two Weeks -- Guaranteed! grdperday BMW 0 January 3rd 06 03:11 AM
E39 rear sun blind wiring Grant BMW 0 August 1st 05 10:38 PM
Front spot lamps on a 156... Domestos Alfa Romeo 4 June 30th 05 07:46 PM
Remove blind spot mirror from side view mirror. Wiz General 3 April 8th 05 02:36 PM