PBS reviews Pontiac Solstice

Old September 26th 05, 10:56 PM
Dana H. Myers

XS11E wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote in:
>

>>XS11E wrote:
>>
>>>I just watched "Motorweek" on PBS as they reviewed the Pontiac Solstice.
>>>They continually compared it to the MX-5

>>That seems odd to me; it would seem that the Solstice is more
>>similar in appearance and performance to a BMW Z4 2.5i (see
>>the tech data here http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/Z4/25i/techdata.htm ).

> Actually the Solstace is almost identical in performance to the MX-5 and the
> price is about the same.

Let's take a look at physical dimensions:

Weight:
Solstice: 2860 lbs
Z-4: 2932 lbs
MX-5: 2474 lbs

Length/width/height:
Z-4: 161.1/70.1/51.1 in
Solstice: 157.2/71.3/50.1 in
MX-5: 157.3/67.7/49.0 in

Wheelbase:
Z-4: 98.2 in
Solstice: 95.1 in
MX-5: 91.7 in

HP/torque:
Z-4: 184/175
Solstice: 177/166
MX-5: 170/140

I'd have to say the Solstice, on paper, is at least as much like
the Z-4 as the MX-5, particularly with respect to size/weight
and torque.

> The BMW Z-4 is in a totally different price class
> although there are similarities. Personally, I have to agree with grouping
> cars by price, the people who buy Z-4s will probably not be looking at the
> MX-5 or the Solstice and vice versa.

That is perhaps true, but that just might mean that GM under-priced the
Solstice :-)

Dana
Old September 26th 05, 11:38 PM

The Elise? Ugly? Not by a long shot.

Old September 26th 05, 11:42 PM

It'd be worth the wait. And I'll still have the Miata to zoom-zoom in.

Old September 27th 05, 02:35 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

>I also find it a little confusing that some folks like to think
>of the Mustang as a sports car. It's certainly not a sports car,
>IMHO, but it's clearly the seminal pony car. 40 years of progress
>has made it a vastly superior car to what it started out as, but it's
>still a Mustang. It just isn't very clever to expect it to be
>something else, something I think JC made the mistake of.

Not according to the way I read the article. He does not expect
it to be a sports car; the whole point of the article is that
where the rest of the world would make a sportscar, the US makes
a monstrosity like the Mustang. He gives historical reasons why
he thinks that happened.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 27th 05, 03:25 AM
Dana H. Myers

Leon van Dommelen wrote:
> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote:
>

>>I also find it a little confusing that some folks like to think
>>of the Mustang as a sports car. It's certainly not a sports car,
>>IMHO, but it's clearly the seminal pony car. 40 years of progress
>>has made it a vastly superior car to what it started out as, but it's
>>still a Mustang. It just isn't very clever to expect it to be
>>something else, something I think JC made the mistake of.

> Not according to the way I read the article. He does not expect
> it to be a sports car; the whole point of the article is that
> where the rest of the world would make a sportscar, the US makes
> a monstrosity like the Mustang. He gives historical reasons why
> he thinks that happened.

Sure, perhaps I did not make my point clearly enough. JC seems to
abhor the whole pony car formula. He reviewed a pony car, and he
complained about it bitterly. If he doesn't like pony cars, then
what was he doing driving one? Of course he won't like it, it's
something he doesn't like. Sports car or anything else, I just
think he made a mistake to expect it to be anything but a pony
car, something he seems to categorically dislike.

It's like someone that likes big cars driving a Miata and then
complaining how small it is. Pointless, but good for getting
people worked-up I suppose.

Dana
Old September 27th 05, 04:32 AM
pws

Dana H. Myers wrote:

> I have a 1998 Chevy Monte Carlo, a daily-driver car. It has 127k miles
> on it now. At 125k miles, the multi-function turn-signal switch stopped
> working reliably; $180 later, the car was whole again. The Monte Carlo
> is the same basic platform as a '98 Grand Prix.
>
> My 2002 MX-5 SE has been to the shop for:
>
> - power antenna gets stuck when starting the car
> - gas tank filler causes premature shut-off
>
> and it has the infamous clutch "judder", which I opted to live
> with until clutch replacement time rather than deal with the
> hassle of taking the car to the dealer once or twice to get it
> fixed. All of these things before 30k miles.
>
> Dana

My '96M never needed a repair of any sort except for a couple of
aftermarket parts that went bad and the window that I neglected to care
for during the entire 5 years that I drove it, up until it's demise at
75,000 miles. That, and a little body work, but that wasn't the car
maker's fault. It was by far the most reliable car I have ever owned.

I also feel that the original miata is a more reliable car than the 2nd
generation miata, and will probably prove to be more reliable than the
new one as well.

The Toyota Celica that I drove before that was also very reliable, as is
my parent's Camry at 12 years old and a friend's 1990 high-mileage,
poorly-maintained Sentra that just will not die.

The 1990 Ford Thunderbird SC that I drove for 2 years was in the shop
many times, it broke tranny's like crazy and had many other problems
that all started creeping up well before 100K miles. I have a neighbor
with a fairly new Impala that has seen a lot of shop time as well,
including a major engine repair before 40K miles. The Pontiac that my
father used to drive was one of the biggest lemons he ever owned, with
the exception of a Ford LTD that was by far the worst car I have ever
seen as far as reliability.
Both parents have said that they will never again purchase another
American-made car.

Our experiences have obviously been very different. I did have a Ford
Econoline that was ok, at least.

Pat
Old September 27th 05, 01:08 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote:

>Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>> "Dana H. Myers" > wrote:
>>

>>>I also find it a little confusing that some folks like to think
>>>of the Mustang as a sports car. It's certainly not a sports car,
>>>IMHO, but it's clearly the seminal pony car. 40 years of progress
>>>has made it a vastly superior car to what it started out as, but it's
>>>still a Mustang. It just isn't very clever to expect it to be
>>>something else, something I think JC made the mistake of.

>> Not according to the way I read the article. He does not expect
>> it to be a sports car; the whole point of the article is that
>> where the rest of the world would make a sportscar, the US makes
>> a monstrosity like the Mustang. He gives historical reasons why
>> he thinks that happened.

>Sure, perhaps I did not make my point clearly enough. JC seems to
>abhor the whole pony car formula.

And rightly so, IMHO.

> He reviewed a pony car, and he
>complained about it bitterly.

He did *not*, even talking about taking it home. However, he did
*verify*, as far as I see objectively, that in terms of what non US
standards would consider an enthusiast car, it is a miserable
failure.

> If he doesn't like pony cars, then
>what was he doing driving one? Of course he won't like it, it's
>something he doesn't like. Sports car or anything else, I just
>think he made a mistake to expect it to be anything but a pony
>car, something he seems to categorically dislike.
>
>It's like someone that likes big cars driving a Miata and then
>complaining how small it is.

Not quite. The smallness of the Miata is self-evident. Mazda
publishes the measurements freely. But AFAIK Ford does not have
a formal statement in the Mustang brochures saying "this car
not suitable for sportscar enthusiast due to miserable design."
JC's paper assesses some of what is wrong.

Old September 29th 05, 03:32 AM
Dave

In article >, pws > wrote:
wrote:
>> The Elise? Ugly? Not by a long shot.

>I think that the Elise is too funky looking to call it ugly, but I
>wouldn't call it pretty either.

I much prefer the looks of the Mk1. Mk2? Sometimes I think it
ugly. Take a look at a side profile with top up. Other
times, I think it way cool. I near drooled over a titanium one on
display at an event at the Glen a year back. But overall, yes it
fits my defn of "funky" too.
Old September 29th 05, 04:30 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2005-09-29, Dave > wrote:

>>I think that the Elise is too funky looking to call it ugly,
>>but I wouldn't call it pretty either.

I think it looks like something from a really bad Sci-Fi movie.
There's just way, way too many creases and scoopes and grilles
and slots and whatnot.

It's all details and no style.

> I much prefer the looks of the Mk1. Mk2? Sometimes I think
> it ugly. Take a look at a side profile with top up. Other
> times, I think it way cool. I near drooled over a titanium
> one on display at an event at the Glen a year back.

I wasn't sold on the NB looks the first few years either.

But I ended up with a titanium/blue Shinsen. I had to hunt for
one without the extra fiberglas stuck onto the rocker panels,
and I had to pay to get a body-colored fuel door to replace the
polished aluminum one, but I'm pretty happy with it now.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I own seven-eighths
at of all the artists in

Saturn vs Pontiac marx404 Saturn 16 April 5th 05 02:22 AM
Pontiac Solstice P T Saturn 5 March 18th 05 07:36 AM
Pontiac Solstice for 20k? HardwareLust Mazda 25 February 24th 05 03:36 AM
FS: 1997 Rob Atchison Pontiac Firebird "FUNNYCAR" Promo Sheet J.R. Sinclair General 0 March 3rd 04 05:46 AM