More transmission questions

Old July 26th 05, 03:28 AM
Thomas Cameron

Default More transmission questions

OK, so I found out that the Lightning engine that I am putting into my 68
coupe was mated up to an E4OD transmission, not an AOD. So I am wondering
- since it seems like it is going to be a nightmare to get the
Lightning's computer to work correctly without the tranny it is expecting
to talk to, I have two questions:

1) Is the E4OD tranny a good one for a street car (i.e. should I consider
getting it from the same wreck I got the engine from)?

2) Will the E4OD fit in my transmission tunnel?

Thanks!
Thomas
Old July 26th 05, 05:30 AM
66 6F HCS

"Thomas Cameron" > wrote
> 1) Is the E4OD tranny a good one for a street car (i.e. should I consider
> getting it from the same wreck I got the engine from)?
>
> 2) Will the E4OD fit in my transmission tunnel?

"Full-size trucks first received the huge E4OD (Electronic 4 speed
OverDrive) transmission in 1989. Internally, it is essentially a C-6 with
overdrive added to the front (such as the A4LD is to the C-3) and an EEC
controlled valve body. The E4OD is a very large transmission, and would
require extensive modifications to the floorpans to fit in most cars. It
would also hang very low once installed unless you were willing to increase
the height of the engine and the transmission by approximately 3 inches."-
www.becontrols.com

Won't fit.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289

Old July 26th 05, 06:00 AM
Spike

lots of good info at www.windsor-fox.com from how to select to what
you'll need that's different from original....

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:28:35 GMT, Thomas Cameron
> wrote:

>OK, so I found out that the Lightning engine that I am putting into my 68
>coupe was mated up to an E4OD transmission, not an AOD. So I am wondering
>- since it seems like it is going to be a nightmare to get the
>Lightning's computer to work correctly without the tranny it is expecting
>to talk to, I have two questions:
>
>1) Is the E4OD tranny a good one for a street car (i.e. should I consider
>getting it from the same wreck I got the engine from)?
>
>2) Will the E4OD fit in my transmission tunnel?
>
>Thanks!
>Thomas

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address
Old July 26th 05, 02:03 PM

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> OK, so I found out that the Lightning engine that I am putting into my 68
> coupe was mated up to an E4OD transmission, not an AOD. So I am wondering
> - since it seems like it is going to be a nightmare to get the
> Lightning's computer to work correctly without the tranny it is expecting
> to talk to, I have two questions:
>
> 1) Is the E4OD tranny a good one for a street car (i.e. should I consider
> getting it from the same wreck I got the engine from)?
>
> 2) Will the E4OD fit in my transmission tunnel?

Just in case an AOD-E is in your future, here is a good site on the
install: http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/project_od.htm .

180 Out

Old July 26th 05, 09:53 PM
Thomas Cameron

I read that the AOD-E would not handle the torque from the Lightning's
351W. So I am still leaning towards just using the C4 until it breaks.
I'm really getting a lot of different points of view on this.

Windsor-Fox has been helpful, but it looks like it might wind up being
cheaper to just rip the EFI stuff off and go normally aspirated, which
would be a real bummer. I want the EFI bits to work, but I am not sure
it is feasible.

TC

Old July 27th 05, 01:07 AM
Spike

Should be some way it will work, and someone who has done it.
As far as the EFI stuff goes, with today's fuel prices, I'm beginning
to regret that I went to a carb.... as well as the responsiveness of
an EFI is a bit better than the carb.

Did you contact Windsor-Fox, or just review the information on the
site? If just a review, I would suggest you email them your questions.

There's more than one version of AODE. There's also the straight AOD.
Since I'm sticking with the carb (for now) I have not researched all
the ins and outs. I'm just looking at a straight AOD.

You might also try-
www.performanceautomatic.com
www.dynamicconverters.com
www.becontrols.com).... they have a 10 chapter guide which I would
suggest you copy and read (or I could just send it to you from where I
copied it). It's pretty detailed about the different transmissions,
torque converters, valve bodies, etc. A very good read for me a tranny
novice.

Check with Mustangs Plus www.mustangsplus.com tech section, and if
nothing is there, send them an email query. They built a 66 coupe
which I think has a 351 and which they converted to EFI.

The Truth is Out There : ) Sometimes you just have to dig a little
harder...

On 26 Jul 2005 13:53:14 -0700, "Thomas Cameron"

Old July 27th 05, 11:00 PM
Thomas Cameron

I have been trading e-mails with Windsor-Fox. He is probably sick to
death of me by now. :-(

I'm seriously leaning towards just yanking the EFI stuff off and going
with a normally aspirated motor for now. Looks like I will need a new
Mustang computer and a wiring harness mod, to the tune of several
hundred bucks, to make it work. And then there are no guarantees.

<sigh>

Old July 27th 05, 11:12 PM
Spike

If you are going to be looking at a major output of $$$$... I think I
would seriously consider going air breather now, if you can't find a
solution, and later converting to one of the aftermarkets (Edelbrock
had a tunable one with it's own "brain box"). You'd have to check what
applications they cover.

Meanwhile, I'd go ahead and contact the others on the list. Maybe, if
they don't know, they can give you a lead on someone who might. I've
done a lot of research which ended up a case of following leads like
that. Sometimes the led to good stuff, and sometimes they didn't. You
never know until you try.

Sometimes, you can talk to someone local. Example: The AOD conversion
I'm looking at, I called a local shop for prices, and the mechanic I
talked to just did the same conversion on his personal van.

On 27 Jul 2005 15:00:27 -0700, "Thomas Cameron"

Old July 28th 05, 12:26 AM
David M

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:00:27 -0700, Thomas Cameron rearranged some
electrons to form:

> I have been trading e-mails with Windsor-Fox. He is probably sick to
> death of me by now. :-(
>
> I'm seriously leaning towards just yanking the EFI stuff off and going
> with a normally aspirated motor for now. Looks like I will need a new
> Mustang computer and a wiring harness mod, to the tune of several
> hundred bucks, to make it work. And then there are no guarantees.
>
> <sigh>

Lesson learned...an expensive one at that.

--
David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

Old July 28th 05, 05:04 AM
66 6F HCS

"Spike" > wrote
> There's more than one version of AODE. There's also the straight AOD.
> Since I'm sticking with the carb (for now) I have not researched all
> the ins and outs. I'm just looking at a straight AOD.

The best/easy OD AT for what you're doing is the AOD with the 2" OD band
from the AODE and the hardened gearset from the 4R70W; the gearset put
behind the 5.4L trucks (Lightnings).

For the best/strength OD AT setup, I'd go with an AODE with the 2" OD band
and the hardened gearset from the 4R70W; giving a lower first and second
gear ratio to help initial acceleration. You'd need a transmission control
system such as the Baumannator TCS, to control the tranny though. You can
get one here.
http://www.becontrols.com/products/tcs.htm