Consider buying American!

Old February 16th 08, 05:17 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
jim beam

Default Consider buying American!

wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:07:20 -0800, jim beam
> > wrote:
>
>>> It is why you have TWO separate brake systems. (at least before the
>>> ABS system) You can lose your brakes without a 100% chance of
>>> totalling your car but if I lose this belt I have been guaranteed a
>>> 100% chance of totalling my engine.

>> wrong answer. dual circuit is because of hydraulic problems, not rubber
>> problems.

> Hydraulic problemns are usually "rubber problems", either failed cups
> in the cylinders

for calipers, that's usually rust, not rubber. rubber can wear, [master
cylinders] but you'd expect that.

again, dual circuit is in case of hydraulic fluid loss, like if road
debris cuts a hose.

> or hoses.

i've got 19 year old hoses on my honda. no problems.

Old February 16th 08, 07:27 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>The low compression used for most turbos means their
>efficiency is poor.

When off-boost, which is a minority of the time.

Old February 16th 08, 07:30 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

jim beam wrote:

>unless you're drifting,
>there is no disadvantage with fwd.

LOL

Idiot.

Old February 16th 08, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Pszemol

"dizzy" > wrote in message ...
> jim beam wrote:
>
>>there
>>are many advantages to fwd for normal driving - that's why so many
>>vehicles use it.

> Correct.
>
> On the other hand, statements like Just Me's "Unless you're
> into throttle steer and serious performance driving, RWD has no
> advantages" are NOT correct.

Would you care to elaborate on RWD advantages
over FWD in passenger cars driven on a regular road?
Old February 16th 08, 11:59 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
jim beam > wrote:
> Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> >>>

> >> how much longer is "greatly longer"? put numbers to it.

> > On average over 4 times longer than a belt. Some may never need
> > changing throughout the service life of the engine.

> 1. it's more like 1.5 times.

Don't be silly. The newsgroups are full of cars breaking cam belts - but
how often do you hear of a chain going? There may well be some belts with
a service interval of 100,000 miles but they're not the norm.

> 2. "service life of the engine" is the whole point of going back to
> chains - "uneconomic to repair" means new car.

It's no big deal to change the chain(s) on many engines - easier than
belts on some.

> belts keep an engine going as long as it'll run.

And when they break the engine is scrap?

> chains, especially long run chains on
> overhead cams, turn the engine into an inefficient, polluting p.o.s.

Now you are being silly.

> >> and define the degree of wear considered "acceptable".

> > If it's quiet with the engine hot?
> >

> ridiculous.

Have you ever worked on an engine?

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 17th 08, 12:12 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.mercedes,alt.autos.bmw
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:59:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
> wrote:

> Don't be silly. The newsgroups are full of cars breaking cam belts - but
>how often do you hear of a chain going?

I never had a chain go, but I did have a chain tensioner go on a
Toyota 22R.

The failed tensioner let the chain skip, doing similar damage to what
a broken belt might have done.