Why did this fix work?

Old December 19th 04, 03:12 AM
Bob

"nooobody" > wrote in message
news:%51xd.541800$%k.323830@pd7tw2no...
>I wrote:
>> One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in

> Ontario,
>> Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
>> stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why it
>> worked. Can anyone guess the reason?

> Further information:
>
> The vehicle in question was an 82 Mazda B2000, so it did not have
> fuel injection.
>
> By "would not start" I meant it cranked fine but would not fire. The
> anti-freeze I put in had been stored in an unheated garage, so was no
> warmer than the coolant already in the engine. Outside air temp was
> about 0 Fahrenheit. When I removed the rad cap to check the coolant
> there was no sign of freezing, but its strength as measured with my
> a-f checker showed it should be good to about 0 - 5 Fahrenheit.
>
> The effect was immediate: it would not start - I drained some coolant
> and put in anti-freeze - it started right away.
>
> Here's a hint: The fuel system was not stock.

co·in·ci·dence
Pronunciation: kO-'in(t)-s&-d&n(t)s, -s&-"den(t)s
Function: noun
1 : the act or condition of coinciding : CORRESPONDENCE
2 : the occurrence of events that happen at the same time by accident but
seem to have some connection; also : any of these occurrences

Old December 19th 04, 03:42 PM
ed

Bob wrote:
> "nooobody" > wrote in message
>
>>I wrote:
>>
>>>One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in

>>Ontario,
>>
>>>Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
>>>stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why it
>>>worked. Can anyone guess the reason?

>>Further information:
>>
>>The vehicle in question was an 82 Mazda B2000, so it did not have
>>fuel injection.
>>
>>By "would not start" I meant it cranked fine but would not fire. The
>>anti-freeze I put in had been stored in an unheated garage, so was no
>>warmer than the coolant already in the engine. Outside air temp was
>>about 0 Fahrenheit. When I removed the rad cap to check the coolant
>>there was no sign of freezing, but its strength as measured with my
>>a-f checker showed it should be good to about 0 - 5 Fahrenheit.
>>
>>The effect was immediate: it would not start - I drained some coolant
>>and put in anti-freeze - it started right away.
>>
>>Here's a hint: The fuel system was not stock.
>>

> co·in·ci·dence
> Pronunciation: kO-'in(t)-s&-d&n(t)s, -s&-"den(t)s
> Function: noun
> 1 : the act or condition of coinciding : CORRESPONDENCE
> 2 : the occurrence of events that happen at the same time by accident but
> seem to have some connection; also : any of these occurrences

Its not a result uless you can duplicate it a few more times, otherwise
pure 'luck' can't be ruled out.
Old December 20th 04, 09:53 PM
.

"nooobody" > wrote in message
> I wrote:
> > One morning in the winter, several years ago when I lived in

> Ontario,
> > Canada, my Maza pickup truck would not start. The fix? Putting a
> > stronger anti-freeze solution into the cooling system. I know why it
> > worked. Can anyone guess the reason?

> Further information:
>
> The vehicle in question was an 82 Mazda B2000, so it did not have
> fuel injection.
>
> By "would not start" I meant it cranked fine but would not fire. The
> anti-freeze I put in had been stored in an unheated garage, so was no
> warmer than the coolant already in the engine. Outside air temp was
> about 0 Fahrenheit. When I removed the rad cap to check the coolant
> there was no sign of freezing, but its strength as measured with my
> a-f checker showed it should be good to about 0 - 5 Fahrenheit.
>
> The effect was immediate: it would not start - I drained some coolant
> and put in anti-freeze - it started right away.
>
> Here's a hint: The fuel system was not stock.

You didn't say you added antifreeze to the radiator.
Is that a wankel engine with the antifreeze fed cold
start injector?

Old December 21st 04, 02:07 AM
nooobody

.. wrote:
> You didn't say you added antifreeze to the radiator.
> Is that a wankel engine with the antifreeze fed cold
> start injector?

I did add antifreeze to the rad. Good guess, but it was not a wankel,
and didn't have a cold start injector. Here's another clue: The
gasoline tank was bone dry (had been since I got the truck) but the
truck was not out of fuel.

Old December 21st 04, 02:59 AM
Don Bruder

In article <azLxd.557311$%k.519502@pd7tw2no>,
"nooobody" > wrote:

> . wrote:
> > You didn't say you added antifreeze to the radiator.
> > Is that a wankel engine with the antifreeze fed cold
> > start injector?

> I did add antifreeze to the rad. Good guess, but it was not a wankel,
> and didn't have a cold start injector. Here's another clue: The
> gasoline tank was bone dry (had been since I got the truck) but the
> truck was not out of fuel.

Based on how long you're dragging this out, here's the response I
suspect you're looking for:

D00000D!!! Yer so clever it's just sick!!!! God hisself couldn't have
fixed it, but you did! 2 RAD!

Now, would you either spill what the problem was, or shuddup with the
self-tooting horn already?

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html> for full details.
Old December 21st 04, 03:33 AM
Bob

"Don Bruder" > wrote in message
> In article <azLxd.557311$%k.519502@pd7tw2no>,
> "nooobody" > wrote:
>
>> . wrote:
>> > You didn't say you added antifreeze to the radiator.
>> > Is that a wankel engine with the antifreeze fed cold
>> > start injector?

>> I did add antifreeze to the rad. Good guess, but it was not a wankel,
>> and didn't have a cold start injector. Here's another clue: The
>> gasoline tank was bone dry (had been since I got the truck) but the
>> truck was not out of fuel.
>>

> Based on how long you're dragging this out, here's the response I
> suspect you're looking for:
>

> D00000D!!! Yer so clever it's just sick!!!! God hisself couldn't have
> fixed it, but you did! 2 RAD!
>

> Now, would you either spill what the problem was, or shuddup with the
> self-tooting horn already?

I agree, spill the beans or shut up. I still believe it was nothing more
than a coincidence. Just because it started after he added antifreeze
doesn't prove anything.
Bob

Old December 21st 04, 06:43 AM
.

"nooobody" > wrote in message
> . wrote:
> > You didn't say you added antifreeze to the radiator.
> > Is that a wankel engine with the antifreeze fed cold
> > start injector?

> I did add antifreeze to the rad. Good guess, but it was not a wankel,
> and didn't have a cold start injector. Here's another clue: The
> gasoline tank was bone dry (had been since I got the truck) but the
> truck was not out of fuel.

Then I'd guess it's a converted gaseous fueled engine with a
system utilizing a coolant level or temperature start/run lockout.

Old December 21st 04, 06:53 AM
.

"." > wrote in message
> "nooobody" > wrote in message
> > . wrote:
> > > You didn't say you added antifreeze to the radiator.
> > > Is that a wankel engine with the antifreeze fed cold
> > > start injector?

> > I did add antifreeze to the rad. Good guess, but it was not a

wankel,
> > and didn't have a cold start injector. Here's another clue: The
> > gasoline tank was bone dry (had been since I got the truck) but the
> > truck was not out of fuel.
> >

> Then I'd guess it's a converted gaseous fueled engine with a
> system utilizing a coolant level or temperature start/run lockout.

Or perhaps an alcohol fueled engine icing a "coolant warmed" carb.

Old December 21st 04, 11:26 AM
Leroy Mowry

"nooobody" > wrote
> I did add antifreeze to the rad. Good guess, but it was not a wankel,
> and didn't have a cold start injector. Here's another clue: The
> gasoline tank was bone dry (had been since I got the truck) but the
> truck was not out of fuel.

The new alcohol based antifreeze, a leaky motor help ignite the fuel.

The new antifreeze spilled onto some electrical part and brought it to life.

The new antifreeze help to open the carb for more fuel and air.

The new sealing antifreeze help seal cylinder compression.

The new antifreeze help unfroze the carb.

The new antifreeze has an essential nutrient, filled with vitamins C, A, R, and B.

I give up, what IS IT???

Old December 21st 04, 04:57 PM
Mike Romain

Bob wrote:

> "Don Bruder" > wrote in message
> > In article <azLxd.557311$%k.519502@pd7tw2no>,

> >> I did add antifreeze to the rad. Good guess, but it was not a wankel,
> >> and didn't have a cold start injector. Here's another clue: The
> >> gasoline tank was bone dry (had been since I got the truck) but the
> >> truck was not out of fuel.
> >>

> > Based on how long you're dragging this out, here's the response I
> > suspect you're looking for:
> >

> > D00000D!!! Yer so clever it's just sick!!!! God hisself couldn't have
> > fixed it, but you did! 2 RAD!
> >

> > Now, would you either spill what the problem was, or shuddup with the
> > self-tooting horn already?
> >

> I agree, spill the beans or shut up. I still believe it was nothing more
> than a coincidence. Just because it started after he added antifreeze
> doesn't prove anything.
> Bob

It just means his battery recovered some from the heat it generated when
it failed to start the first time.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Best Home Base Work Reynard 4x4 0 November 10th 04 02:27 AM
Best Home Base Work Reynard General 0 November 9th 04 08:59 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Antique cars 0 November 9th 04 04:36 PM
ASE Work experience question thongsai General 0 July 9th 04 11:16 PM
96 Ford Contour Zetec engine - hard to work on? john smith General 0 March 16th 04 11:23 AM