2002 A4 clunking noise

Old July 18th 07, 01:56 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default 2002 A4 clunking noise

I strange thing happened to my car this morning. As I was driving
away, I heard a clunking noise from under what seems to be the driver
side front wheel. I felt a slight, corresponding jolt through the
steering wheel. At first I though I had hit a pot hole, but then as I
drove more I realized that the clunk was happening even on smooth
road. It happens mostly (or at least I notice it mostly) at slow
speeds and in first gear.

As far as I can tell, it's not related to steering wheel position
(i.e. it happens when I'm driving straight or turning). Also, it
doesn't seem to be related to road conditions, such as bumps,
inclines, etc. It's relatively random, except for the fact that I
only seem to notice it as slow speeds.

It's very slight and you have to turn off the radio to hear it, but
I'm worried that there is a problem with the control arms or with a
bearing.

Could it just be a loose skid guard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Old July 18th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

wrote:
> I strange thing happened to my car this morning. As I was driving
> away, I heard a clunking noise from under what seems to be the driver
> side front wheel. I felt a slight, corresponding jolt through the
> steering wheel. At first I though I had hit a pot hole, but then as I
> drove more I realized that the clunk was happening even on smooth
> road. It happens mostly (or at least I notice it mostly) at slow
> speeds and in first gear.
>
> As far as I can tell, it's not related to steering wheel position
> (i.e. it happens when I'm driving straight or turning). Also, it
> doesn't seem to be related to road conditions, such as bumps,
> inclines, etc. It's relatively random, except for the fact that I
> only seem to notice it as slow speeds.
>
> It's very slight and you have to turn off the radio to hear it, but
> I'm worried that there is a problem with the control arms or with a
> bearing.
>
> Could it just be a loose skid guard?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

It could be a CV joint, bearing, brakes or any moving component. You
will need to have a mechanic check it to find out. The is no typical
failure that can be diagnosed without seeing the car but the CV is the
first thing I would look at.
Old July 22nd 07, 02:55 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks for the reply. The noise has gotten worse over the last two
days. Unfortunately, I am hundreds of miles away from home. Should I
be worried about driving home tomorrow? What's the worst that can
happen?

This car has been nothing but a pain in the ass since I bought it. Is
there any channels through which I can complain that would make a
difference to audi?

Old July 22nd 07, 03:16 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:55:56 -0700, "
> wrote:
>
>Madesio wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:56:53 +0000, wrote:
>>
>> > I strange thing happened to my car this morning. As I was driving
>> > away, I heard a clunking noise from under what seems to be the driver
>> > side front wheel. I felt a slight, corresponding jolt through the
>> > steering wheel. At first I though I had hit a pot hole, but then as I
>> > drove more I realized that the clunk was happening even on smooth
>> > road. It happens mostly (or at least I notice it mostly) at slow
>> > speeds and in first gear.
>> >
>> > As far as I can tell, it's not related to steering wheel position
>> > (i.e. it happens when I'm driving straight or turning). Also, it
>> > doesn't seem to be related to road conditions, such as bumps,
>> > inclines, etc. It's relatively random, except for the fact that I
>> > only seem to notice it as slow speeds.
>> >
>> > It's very slight and you have to turn off the radio to hear it, but
>> > I'm worried that there is a problem with the control arms or with a
>> > bearing.

>> You have good reason to suspect the control arms (uppers). When the
>> bushings wear, clunking noises will randomly come and go, progressively
>> getting worse as time goes by.
>>
>> > Could it just be a loose skid guard?

>> Doubt that if you can feel it resonate through the steering column.
>> I'd make an appointment to have your suspension thoroughly inspected.

>Thanks for the reply. The noise has gotten worse over the last two
>days. Unfortunately, I am hundreds of miles away from home. Should I
>be worried about driving home tomorrow? What's the worst that can
>happen?
>
>This car has been nothing but a pain in the ass since I bought it. Is
>there any channels through which I can complain that would make a
>difference to audi?

If it is the classic A4 worn control arm bushing syndrome, you can keep
driving it pretty much indefinitely - or until you can't stand the noise any
longer.

I don't know who you could complain to that'll be receptive to hearing about a
5 year old car with suspension noise...

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old July 22nd 07, 12:26 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Thanks for the truly worst case scenario!

I have had the car in the shop at least once every two months over the
past year. It just seems to me like audi didn't take much time in
building this car right. how can a supposed "luxury car" have more
reliability problems than a hyundai?

anyway, i am going to drive the car home and take it to my mechanic
tomorrow morning. i'll report back on what i find out.

Old July 22nd 07, 12:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

one other quick question: do the control arms eventually wear out on
all four wheels, or is it an issue that mainly happens with the front
wheels? is there any sense, while i have it in the shop, of having
all of the bushings replaced even if only one of them is bad right at
this moment?

Old July 22nd 07, 06:44 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
iws

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> one other quick question: do the control arms eventually wear out on
> all four wheels, or is it an issue that mainly happens with the front
> wheels? is there any sense, while i have it in the shop, of having
> all of the bushings replaced even if only one of them is bad right at
> this moment?

The control arm problem is usually associated with the front upper arms. I
drove my '98 A4 for thousands of miles as the problem gradually got worse.
Finally had it fixed recently when I bought new tires. Total at an
independent including tie rod ends and 4-wheel alignment was about $1300.

Old July 22nd 07, 06:51 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Peter[_10_]

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:26:59 -0000, "
> wrote:

>I have had the car in the shop at least once every two months over the
>past year. It just seems to me like audi didn't take much time in
>building this car right. how can a supposed "luxury car" have more
>reliability problems than a hyundai?

Interesting. I also have an '02 A4, and my experience couldn't be
different. I've owned it over two years, and all it's had in that time
has been a couple of routine services (about 15 months apart, right
when the dashboard computer said they were needed) and a set of new
tyres. That's it. Nothing more has been needed. (Well, apart from
fairly frequent oil top-ups - I carry a bottle in the boot.) At the
last service - in January - I was warned that it'll need brake pads
soon, but the dashboard warning hasn't lit yet.

I've been well impressed with the Audi quality.

My contrast is with the BMW that I traded in for the A4. It was a
323i, seven years old when I parted with it. That car had been in and
out of the dealer's workshop ever since I bought it - typically, about
three times a year. The dealer just regarded that car as a siphon
feeding money from my bank account to theirs. I didn't like their
personal attitude, either - it amounted to 'you're not good enough to
own a BMW'. The Audi's costing me about half as much money to run, and
a lot less hassle. For that and other reasons, I'd rather own the Audi
than the Beemer.

I really do hope that your clunking doesn't turn out to be serious.

Peter.
Old July 22nd 07, 11:19 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
KLS

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 10:44:24 -0700, "iws" > wrote:

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> one other quick question: do the control arms eventually wear out on
>> all four wheels, or is it an issue that mainly happens with the front
>> wheels? is there any sense, while i have it in the shop, of having
>> all of the bushings replaced even if only one of them is bad right at
>> this moment?

>The control arm problem is usually associated with the front upper arms. I
>drove my '98 A4 for thousands of miles as the problem gradually got worse.
>Finally had it fixed recently when I bought new tires. Total at an
>independent including tie rod ends and 4-wheel alignment was about $1300.

I've had mine replaced twice, and only on the right front passenger
side, both uppers and lowers (at different times), and I'm at 109k
now. I'm not sure when the next replacement will happen, and I'll be
curious how much longer the other three corners last. I'll be putting
in new struts when I replace the tires in September/October (I'm
seeing tire slap now, which tells me a couple if not all of the
factory struts are gone, but I'm not feeling it much in the ride).

1998.5 A4Q, love this car
Old July 22nd 07, 11:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

On Jul 22, 1:51 pm, Peter >
wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:26:59 -0000, "
>
> > wrote:
> >I have had the car in the shop at least once every two months over the
> >past year. It just seems to me like audi didn't take much time in
> >building this car right. how can a supposed "luxury car" have more
> >reliability problems than a hyundai?

> Interesting. I also have an '02 A4, and my experience couldn't be
> different. I've owned it over two years, and all it's had in that time
> has been a couple of routine services (about 15 months apart, right
> when the dashboard computer said they were needed) and a set of new
> tyres. That's it. Nothing more has been needed. (Well, apart from
> fairly frequent oil top-ups - I carry a bottle in the boot.) At the
> last service - in January - I was warned that it'll need brake pads
> soon, but the dashboard warning hasn't lit yet.
>
> I've been well impressed with the Audi quality.
>
> My contrast is with the BMW that I traded in for the A4. It was a
> 323i, seven years old when I parted with it. That car had been in and
> out of the dealer's workshop ever since I bought it - typically, about
> three times a year. The dealer just regarded that car as a siphon
> feeding money from my bank account to theirs. I didn't like their
> personal attitude, either - it amounted to 'you're not good enough to
> own a BMW'. The Audi's costing me about half as much money to run, and
> a lot less hassle. For that and other reasons, I'd rather own the Audi
> than the Beemer.
>
> I really do hope that your clunking doesn't turn out to be serious.
>
> Peter.

thanks for the wishes. i bought this car with 28,000 miles on it and,
granted, i have driven it hard. a lot of city driving on the barely
paved streets of baltimore. but i have had a bad thermometer, two bad
vacuum lines, and now this issue all in about a year. add that to
regular service and my bill is really rising.

i drove home today from the shore, probably about 150 miles. the
clunking was there at low speeds, when driving out of a toll booth for
instance, but there was nothing noticeable at highway speeds.

also, as a slight adjustment to my original post: i now do not
believe that the noise is in any way connected to vibrations that i
can feel through the steering wheel. i studied that as much as i
could, and there was no correlation between the sound, a bump in the
road, or vibrations through the steering wheel.

if the problem truly were related to the bushings, wouldn't the thunks
come during moments of turning, accelerating, or hitting road bumps?
as far as i can tell, the noise is MORE likely to happen when
traveling slowly on smooth roads in first or second gear at a steady
pace.

it's very strange.

i also noticed that my door has recently gotten a little creaky when i
open and close it. the sound is a very similar pitch to the thunk i'm
describing. is it possible that the door swing mechanism is creating
the noise, even when closed? i'm going to spray some WD-40 on it to
see if that helps.

also, is there anything that a ley-person could see regarding bad
control arms from an unsprung inspection? cracks? leaks? is there
any portion of the assembly i should particularly look at?

any help would be greatly appreciated.