C5 Convertible ...no Garage!

Old April 22nd 07, 05:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
redranger69

Default C5 Convertible ...no Garage!

I'm looking at buying a C5 convertible. I don't have a garage to keep
it in, so I will buy a cover. Am I just asking for trouble by not
being able to garage it?
I live in So Cal a couple of miles from the ocean, so it doesn't get
too hot or cold.
thanks for reading

Old April 22nd 07, 06:32 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

redranger69 wrote:
> I'm looking at buying a C5 convertible. I don't have a garage to keep
> it in, so I will buy a cover. Am I just asking for trouble by not
> being able to garage it?
> I live in So Cal a couple of miles from the ocean, so it doesn't get
> too hot or cold.
> thanks for reading

I've lived on the beach (garaging didn't help), about 1/2 mile inland
(garage was a must) and now 2 miles from the beach.

When the surf's up and the westerly breeze is above 15kt it carries salt
a couple of miles inland. TV masts and west facing aluminum screen
frames show salt damage within 6-mos of installation. So, there's
potential for damage but a cover and a weekly wash is adequate.

I covered a 911 outdoors for nearly three years--no problem (and the
preservation on that 911 doesn't approach what the C5 has.)

Pay extra attention to cleaning wheels & brake components. -- enjoy.

Ask the folks at < http://www.coastcarcovers.com/ > about near-ocean
covers. Tell them it's for a convertible and whether it will be covered
mostly during the day or during the night.

--
PJ
Old April 22nd 07, 05:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Redbull

A cover should protect it from salt spray which is carried inland at least a
couple of miles..also from salt water fog...and a frequent car wash helps.

Old April 23rd 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"redranger69" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm looking at buying a C5 convertible. I don't have a garage to keep
> it in, so I will buy a cover. Am I just asking for trouble by not
> being able to garage it?
> I live in So Cal a couple of miles from the ocean, so it doesn't get
> too hot or cold.
> thanks for reading

I take it that the Vettes of today as opposed to the ones I owned (and am
familiar with) back in the late 60s are more delicate. I used a cover in San
Antonio, TX, which was effective in preventing paint fading. Otherwise, my
old 71 454 4 spd was very strong.

Old April 23rd 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ric Seyler

Do a lot of rinsing, I lived on an island 7 miles off the coast of Florida
for the last 24 years. Even having a garage for my ragtop I had to
constantly
rinse it off. Average 3 times a week. We are lucky that our water wasn't too
hard and didn't have a problem with water spots, as long as you drove it to
air dry it immediately after rinsing.

Funny to see people looking at me going down the street swerving back
and forth
like I was putting heat into my tires before the green flag!! LOL

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson
Old April 23rd 07, 07:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Ric Seyler" > wrote in message
> Do a lot of rinsing, I lived on an island 7 miles off the
> coast of Florida
> for the last 24 years. Even having a garage for my ragtop
> I had to constantly
> rinse it off. Average 3 times a week. We are lucky that
> our water wasn't too
> hard and didn't have a problem with water spots, as long
> as you drove it to
> air dry it immediately after rinsing.
>
> Funny to see people looking at me going down the street
> swerving back and forth
> like I was putting heat into my tires before the green
> flag!! LOL
>
> redranger69 wrote:
>
>>I'm looking at buying a C5 convertible. I don't have a
>>garage to keep
>>it in, so I will buy a cover. Am I just asking for trouble
>>by not
>>being able to garage it?
>>I live in So Cal a couple of miles from the ocean, so it
>>doesn't get
>>too hot or cold.
>>thanks for reading
>>

> --
> Ric Seyler
> Online Racing: RicSeyler
> GPL Handicap 6.35

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
> remove –SPAM- from email address
> --------------------------------------
> "Homer no function beer well without."
> - H.J. Simpson

do you realize that excessive water pushed the salt down
further down in crevasses and will cause more rust on metal
parts.
that's why you see a lot of rust around tail light and the
bottom of fender walls on cars that are
from the coast areas.
my brother lives by Galveston Tx. and hardly washes his
truck for that very reason. His wife washes her truck all
the time. she has excessive rust and he hardly has any.

my2˘
--
"Key"
=====

Old April 23rd 07, 09:00 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

'Key wrote:
> "Ric Seyler" > wrote in message
>> Do a lot of rinsing, I lived on an island 7 miles off the
>> coast of Florida
>> for the last 24 years. Even having a garage for my ragtop
>> I had to constantly
>> rinse it off. Average 3 times a week. We are lucky that
>> our water wasn't too
>> hard and didn't have a problem with water spots, as long
>> as you drove it to
>> air dry it immediately after rinsing.
>>
>> Funny to see people looking at me going down the street
>> swerving back and forth
>> like I was putting heat into my tires before the green
>> flag!! LOL
>>
>> redranger69 wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking at buying a C5 convertible. I don't have a
>>> garage to keep
>>> it in, so I will buy a cover. Am I just asking for trouble
>>> by not
>>> being able to garage it?
>>> I live in So Cal a couple of miles from the ocean, so it
>>> doesn't get
>>> too hot or cold.
>>> thanks for reading
>>>

>> --
>> Ric Seyler
>> Online Racing: RicSeyler
>> GPL Handicap 6.35

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
>> remove –SPAM- from email address
>> --------------------------------------
>> "Homer no function beer well without."
>> - H.J. Simpson

> do you realize that excessive water pushed the salt down
> further down in crevasses and will cause more rust on metal
> parts.
> that's why you see a lot of rust around tail light and the
> bottom of fender walls on cars that are
> from the coast areas.
> my brother lives by Galveston Tx. and hardly washes his
> truck for that very reason. His wife washes her truck all
> the time. she has excessive rust and he hardly has any.
>
> my2˘

Sorry, 'Key I can't buy into that line. May be worth the 2˘ in Louisana
but not within 100 yards of my 20.

....not borne out by my experience near the Pacific Ocean. Whether it be
an older rust-prone 911 or a C4 or a C5 ... I've regularly rinsed with
softened water (even though it has more salt than un-softened tap
water.) Works better than neglect!

In daily SoCal driving there's lots of road grime. Left on the finish,
it's an invitation to scuffing. 'Hardly washing,' may be OK for a truck
in Galveston or a 'vette in Louisana. In SoCal, near the beach, a
dirty/salty car is *pure-dumb*.

I'm two miles inland but ungaraged cars gather dew on 1/3 of the nights
each year. A cover helps but on cool nights it will form on the bottom
half of the wheels and brakes -- when there's salt residue on those
parts, corrosion sets in.

--
PJ

Old April 24th 07, 04:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ric Seyler

'Key wrote:

>"Ric Seyler" > wrote in message
.. .

>>Do a lot of rinsing, I lived on an island 7 miles off the
>>coast of Florida
>>for the last 24 years. Even having a garage for my ragtop
>>I had to constantly
>>rinse it off. Average 3 times a week. We are lucky that
>>our water wasn't too
>>hard and didn't have a problem with water spots, as long
>>as you drove it to
>>air dry it immediately after rinsing.
>>
>>Funny to see people looking at me going down the street
>>swerving back and forth
>>like I was putting heat into my tires before the green
>>flag!! LOL
>>
>>redranger69 wrote:
>>

>>>I'm looking at buying a C5 convertible. I don't have a
>>>garage to keep
>>>it in, so I will buy a cover. Am I just asking for trouble
>>>by not
>>>being able to garage it?
>>>I live in So Cal a couple of miles from the ocean, so it
>>>doesn't get
>>>too hot or cold.
>>>thanks for reading
>>>

>>--
>>Ric Seyler
>>Online Racing: RicSeyler
>>GPL Handicap 6.35

>>http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
>>remove -SPAM- from email address
>>--------------------------------------
>>"Homer no function beer well without."
>>- H.J. Simpson
>>

>do you realize that excessive water pushed the salt down
>further down in crevasses and will cause more rust on metal
>parts.
>that's why you see a lot of rust around tail light and the
>bottom of fender walls on cars that are
>from the coast areas.
>my brother lives by Galveston Tx. and hardly washes his
>truck for that very reason. His wife washes her truck all
>the time. she has excessive rust and he hardly has any.
>
>my2˘

Well I don't know about that personally. But I guess it COULD be true.
<shrughs shoulders> But I think it would be much better than just
letting the salt sit
all over the vehicle. Driving it outdoors will also let the sun hit it
with UV rays, and ozone
will attack it, yada yada..... What'cha gonna do? LOLOL