85 vette

Old April 15th 07, 06:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
rewcsw

Default 85 vette

i just purchased an 85 vette that has been somewhat neglected. I am having
a problem with the digital dash lights. They go bright and dim and the
volt meter fluctuates up and down as well. What can I do to fix this??

Old April 15th 07, 09:44 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
labtech_one

Well, first I'd do an battery test, (if low charge to full charge or
replace )
then an alternator/regulator test, ( might as well replace the drive belt
while your in there).
make sure all grounds are good from the battery, clean & replace as needed
any battery terminals.

Since the 'symtoms' you describe seem to be in the charging system
this is the obvious place to start.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 17th 07, 07:33 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
hmmmmmm

Default 85 vette.....and more.....

sounds like a newer corvette is needed!.

if not, then a complete body-off restoration SHOULD
get rid of the problem....

:-P

or just do what the other guy reckon's...

p.s. is the new C7 "really" moving to a 42volts setup???

lkaboutautos.com...

Old April 17th 07, 01:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
fweddybear

"hmmmmmm" > wrote in message
u...
> sounds like a newer corvette is needed!.
>
> if not, then a complete body-off restoration SHOULD
> get rid of the problem....
>
> :-P
>
> or just do what the other guy reckon's...
>
> p.s. is the new C7 "really" moving to a 42volts setup???
>

> "rewcsw" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>> i just purchased an 85 vette that has been somewhat neglected. I am
>> having
>> a problem with the digital dash lights. They go bright and dim and the
>> volt meter fluctuates up and down as well. What can I do to fix this??

You can repair the cluster.....it will be between 300 and 500 bucks....

Fwed

Old April 17th 07, 08:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"fweddybear" > wrote in message

> "hmmmmmm" > wrote in message
> u...
>> sounds like a newer corvette is needed!.
>>
>> if not, then a complete body-off restoration SHOULD
>> get rid of the problem....
>>
>> :-P
>>
>> or just do what the other guy reckon's...
>>
>> p.s. is the new C7 "really" moving to a 42volts setup???
>>

>> "rewcsw" > wrote in message
>> lkaboutautos.com...
>>> i just purchased an 85 vette that has been somewhat
>>> neglected. I am having
>>> a problem with the digital dash lights. They go bright
>>> and dim and the
>>> volt meter fluctuates up and down as well. What can I
>>> do to fix this??

> You can repair the cluster.....it will be between 300
> and 500 bucks....
>
> Fwed

he didn't say the cluster didn't work.
if the cluster was bad?
chances are it wouldn't light up at all.
I had to have mine repaired but it because it wouldn't light
up.

--
"Key"
=====

Old April 17th 07, 08:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
fweddybear

"'Key" > wrote in message
. ..
> "fweddybear" > wrote in message
>>
>> "hmmmmmm" > wrote in message
>> u...
>>> sounds like a newer corvette is needed!.
>>>
>>> if not, then a complete body-off restoration SHOULD
>>> get rid of the problem....
>>>
>>> :-P
>>>
>>> or just do what the other guy reckon's...
>>>
>>> p.s. is the new C7 "really" moving to a 42volts setup???
>>>

>>> "rewcsw" > wrote in message
>>> lkaboutautos.com...

>> You can repair the cluster.....it will be between 300 and 500
>> bucks....
>>
>> Fwed

> he didn't say the cluster didn't work.
> if the cluster was bad?
> chances are it wouldn't light up at all.
> I had to have mine repaired but it because it wouldn't light up.
>
> --
> "Key"
> =====

My cluster needs to be repaired, but it shows no sign of not working
either. It is drawing too much current and every now and then I have a dead
battery.

Fwed

Old April 17th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"fweddybear" > wrote in message

> "'Key" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "fweddybear" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "hmmmmmm" > wrote in message
>>> u...

>>> You can repair the cluster.....it will be between 300
>>> and 500 bucks....
>>>
>>> Fwed

>> he didn't say the cluster didn't work.
>> if the cluster was bad?
>> chances are it wouldn't light up at all.
>> I had to have mine repaired but it because it wouldn't
>> light up.
>>
>> --
>> "Key"
>> =====

> My cluster needs to be repaired, but it shows no sign
> of not working either. It is drawing too much current and
> every now and then I have a dead battery.
>
> Fwed

how do you know its your cluster that's causing your
problem?
might not be your cluster that's drawing too much current.

my2¢
--
"Key"
=====

Old April 17th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
fweddybear

"'Key" > wrote in message
. ..
> "fweddybear" > wrote in message
>>
>> "'Key" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> he didn't say the cluster didn't work.
>>> if the cluster was bad?
>>> chances are it wouldn't light up at all.
>>> I had to have mine repaired but it because it wouldn't light up.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Key"
>>> =====

>> My cluster needs to be repaired, but it shows no sign of not working
>> either. It is drawing too much current and every now and then I have a
>> dead battery.
>>
>> Fwed

> how do you know its your cluster that's causing your problem?
> might not be your cluster that's drawing too much current.
>
> my2¢
> --
> "Key"
> =====

I've had it checked by my mechanic....there is a fuse he pulled for the
cluster that indicated no more short....after that, I started poking around
the internet about cluster repair and found a site from a lace in bristol ct
that has them... They are too bad as far as price, and you can replace them
yourself fairly easily (without having to take the dash apart)

Fwed

Old April 17th 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"fweddybear" > wrote in message

> "'Key" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "fweddybear" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "'Key" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> My cluster needs to be repaired, but it shows no sign
>>> of not working either. It is drawing too much current
>>> and every now and then I have a dead battery.
>>>
>>> Fwed

>> how do you know its your cluster that's causing your
>> problem?
>> might not be your cluster that's drawing too much
>> current.
>>
>> my2¢
>> --
>> "Key"
>> =====

> I've had it checked by my mechanic....there is a fuse
> he pulled for the cluster that indicated no more
> short....after that, I started poking around the internet
> about cluster repair and found a site from a lace in
> bristol ct that has them... They are too bad as far as
> price, and you can replace them yourself fairly easily
> (without having to take the dash apart)
>
> Fwed

You can have them repaired.

Taber Corvette Parts
421 Outer S. State St.
Chandler, IN 47610
1-877-349-2838

Current Special on 84-89 Corvette Dash Clusters: rebuild
your Corvette Dash Cluster for $245.00. If you have a bad
power supply there is a $100.00 fee for replacing the power
supply. Most dash clusters do not require a new power
supply, however some dash clusters do.

http://www.tabercorvetteparts.com/parts/clusters.html

g'day
--
"Key"
=====

Old April 18th 07, 01:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
fweddybear

"'Key" > wrote in message
news
> "fweddybear" > wrote in message
>>
>> "'Key" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> how do you know its your cluster that's causing your problem?
>>> might not be your cluster that's drawing too much current.
>>>
>>> my2¢
>>> --
>>> "Key"
>>> =====

>> I've had it checked by my mechanic....there is a fuse he pulled for
>> the cluster that indicated no more short....after that, I started poking
>> around the internet about cluster repair and found a site from a lace in
>> bristol ct that has them... They are too bad as far as price, and you can
>> replace them yourself fairly easily (without having to take the dash
>> apart)
>>
>> Fwed

> You can have them repaired.
>
> Taber Corvette Parts
> 421 Outer S. State St.
> Chandler, IN 47610
> 1-877-349-2838
>
> Current Special on 84-89 Corvette Dash Clusters: rebuild your Corvette
> Dash Cluster for $245.00. If you have a bad power supply there is a
> $100.00 fee for replacing the power supply. Most dash clusters do not
> require a new power supply, however some dash clusters do.
>
> http://www.tabercorvetteparts.com/parts/clusters.html
>
> g'day
> --
> "Key"

Yes, as I mentioned they can be repaired.... I don't really drive the
car...and I have other priorities at the moment, so its pretty much last on
the list... i have the battery cable disconnected and when I use it, i
connect it then...The place in bristol ct is right down the road from me...
well about half hour away....geez.. i thought i had a link to them, but
apparently i never bookmarked it....i did bookmark the link you have
though...

Thanks..

Fwed

69 vette John Moore Corvette 6 May 6th 06 07:51 AM
New 06 C6 Vette xblazinlv Corvette 0 December 23rd 05 09:28 AM
89 vette H ZARATE Corvette 7 August 16th 05 01:14 AM
FS: 75 Vette Dave Corvette 1 June 15th 05 04:53 PM
First Vette JG Corvette 0 April 3rd 05 02:41 PM