audi a6 2.7t smoking

Old December 8th 07, 02:15 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jims Audi[_2_]

Default audi a6 2.7t smoking

My 2000 audi a6 2.7t just started smoking (real bad) out of both
exhaust pipes. It also sounds like the waste gate is partially open
(like a small exhaust leak). The oil is 3 weeks old (synthetic 5w 40)
as is the filter. I am not getting any engine codes and the car seems
to run OK. Not that I took it too far when I saw the smoke. Could it
be the turbo? What would cause that to happen? Too lean a fuel
mixture? Just age?
Old December 8th 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dano58

On Dec 8, 9:15 am, Jims Audi > wrote:
> My 2000 audi a6 2.7t just started smoking (real bad) out of both
> exhaust pipes. It also sounds like the waste gate is partially open
> (like a small exhaust leak). The oil is 3 weeks old (synthetic 5w 40)
> as is the filter. I am not getting any engine codes and the car seems
> to run OK. Not that I took it too far when I saw the smoke. Could it
> be the turbo? What would cause that to happen? Too lean a fuel
> mixture? Just age?

What color is the oil? If it's white-ish gray, then probably head
gasket is shot (coolant getting into the cylinders). If it's bue-ish
then you are buring oil so could be any number of things.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA
Old December 8th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jims Audi[_2_]

On Dec 8, 11:45 am, Dano58 > wrote:
> On Dec 8, 9:15 am, Jims Audi > wrote:
>
> > My 2000 audi a6 2.7t just started smoking (real bad) out of both
> > exhaust pipes. It also sounds like the waste gate is partially open
> > (like a small exhaust leak). The oil is 3 weeks old (synthetic 5w 40)
> > as is the filter. I am not getting any engine codes and the car seems
> > to run OK. Not that I took it too far when I saw the smoke. Could it
> > be the turbo? What would cause that to happen? Too lean a fuel
> > mixture? Just age?

> What color is the oil? If it's white-ish gray, then probably head
> gasket is shot (coolant getting into the cylinders). If it's bue-ish
> then you are buring oil so could be any number of things.
>
> Dan D
> '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
> Central NJ USA

Oil color is good.
Color of smoke is bluish.
I am definitely burning oil.
Any ideas?
Old December 8th 07, 08:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article
Jims Audi > wrote:

> My 2000 audi a6 2.7t just started smoking (real bad) out of both
> exhaust pipes. It also sounds like the waste gate is partially open
> (like a small exhaust leak). The oil is 3 weeks old (synthetic 5w 40)
> as is the filter. I am not getting any engine codes and the car seems
> to run OK. Not that I took it too far when I saw the smoke. Could it
> be the turbo? What would cause that to happen? Too lean a fuel
> mixture? Just age?

Is there anything you can unscrew to give you a look between the exhaust
manifold and the turbo? Maybe an oxygen sensor or EGR valve? It may
help you determine if it's the turbo or something like the valve stem
seals.

It would be good to fix it before your catalytic converter clogs or
melts.
Old December 9th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jims Audi[_2_]

On Dec 8, 3:34 pm, Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Jims Audi > wrote:
>
> > My 2000 audi a6 2.7t just started smoking (real bad) out of both
> > exhaust pipes. It also sounds like the waste gate is partially open
> > (like a small exhaust leak). The oil is 3 weeks old (synthetic 5w 40)
> > as is the filter. I am not getting any engine codes and the car seems
> > to run OK. Not that I took it too far when I saw the smoke. Could it
> > be the turbo? What would cause that to happen? Too lean a fuel
> > mixture? Just age?

> Is there anything you can unscrew to give you a look between the exhaust
> manifold and the turbo? Maybe an oxygen sensor or EGR valve? It may
> help you determine if it's the turbo or something like the valve stem
> seals.
>
> It would be good to fix it before your catalytic converter clogs or
> melts.

I cant see an easy way to get at anything prior to the turbo. The
engine compartment is jammed full.
Old December 10th 07, 02:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Vk

On Dec 9, 11:24 am, Jims Audi > wrote:
> On Dec 8, 3:34 pm, Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:
>

> > In article
> > >,
> > Jims Audi > wrote:

> > > My 2000 audi a6 2.7t just started smoking (real bad) out of both
> > > exhaust pipes. It also sounds like the waste gate is partially open
> > > (like a small exhaust leak). The oil is 3 weeks old (synthetic 5w 40)
> > > as is the filter. I am not getting any engine codes and the car seems
> > > to run OK. Not that I took it too far when I saw the smoke. Could it
> > > be the turbo? What would cause that to happen? Too lean a fuel
> > > mixture? Just age?

> > Is there anything you can unscrew to give you a look between the exhaust
> > manifold and the turbo? Maybe an oxygen sensor or EGR valve? It may
> > help you determine if it's the turbo or something like the valve stem
> > seals.

> > It would be good to fix it before your catalytic converter clogs or
> > melts.

> I cant see an easy way to get at anything prior to the turbo. The
> engine compartment is jammed full.- Hide quoted text -

I have the same car. I had same issue last year or early this year (~
81K). Well, I posted on this forum but did not hear anything. First of
all, if you are in really cold areas then you may expect some smoke in
the winters. At the start of the winter, it seems to be a lot. Mine
had some bad smoke once when I started to work for 3-4 miles in the
morning (temperatures ~ 25-30 F or -2 to -5 C). I turned around and
went to a mechanic shop. But by then there was no smoke. The mechanic
said it was usual in the winters. If there is any oil that settled and
froze overnight may burn incompletely and give some smoke cold
weather. I did not see much smoke later on. I still keep a watch on
it.

After couple of months, all of a sudden my car starting shaking real
bad in a parking lot and then I had issues in the engine. one of the 6
valves had debris/ residue settled in it and was misfiring. It had to
be replaced and costed a bomb (1200$). It could be a completely
independent issue from the smoke but I believe the smoke (if it is too
bad) was an indication of the debris collected. I would get it checked
or atleast have an engine oil flush (100$) which is good for the car
as part of maintenace at a high mileage. I would check with a dealer
and see if it is suggested and get it done at any good oil change
shop. Good luck. Let us know if you found any solutions to your smoke
issue.
Old December 11th 07, 11:17 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jims Audi[_2_]

On Dec 10, 9:28 am, Vk > wrote:
> On Dec 9, 11:24 am, Jims Audi > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 3:34 pm, Kevin McMurtrie > wrote:

> > > In article

> > > Is there anything you can unscrew to give you a look between the exhaust
> > > manifold and the turbo? Maybe an oxygen sensor or EGR valve? It may
> > > help you determine if it's the turbo or something like the valve stem
> > > seals.

> > > It would be good to fix it before your catalytic converter clogs or
> > > melts.

> > I cant see an easy way to get at anything prior to the turbo. The
> > engine compartment is jammed full.- Hide quoted text -

> I have the same car. I had same issue last year or early this year (~
> 81K). Well, I posted on this forum but did not hear anything. First of
> all, if you are in really cold areas then you may expect some smoke in
> the winters. At the start of the winter, it seems to be a lot. Mine
> had some bad smoke once when I started to work for 3-4 miles in the
> morning (temperatures ~ 25-30 F or -2 to -5 C). I turned around and
> went to a mechanic shop. But by then there was no smoke. The mechanic
> said it was usual in the winters. If there is any oil that settled and
> froze overnight may burn incompletely and give some smoke cold
> weather. I did not see much smoke later on. I still keep a watch on
> it.
>
> After couple of months, all of a sudden my car starting shaking real
> bad in a parking lot and then I had issues in the engine. one of the 6
> valves had debris/ residue settled in it and was misfiring. It had to
> be replaced and costed a bomb (1200$). It could be a completely
> independent issue from the smoke but I believe the smoke (if it is too
> bad) was an indication of the debris collected. I would get it checked
> or atleast have an engine oil flush (100$) which is good for the car
> as part of maintenace at a high mileage. I would check with a dealer
> and see if it is suggested and get it done at any good oil change
> shop. Good luck. Let us know if you found any solutions to your smoke
> issue.- Hide quoted text -

Did you have a sound like an exhaust leak or an open turbo waste gate?
Old December 12th 07, 03:08 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Vk

On Dec 11, 5:17 pm, Jims Audi > wrote:
> On Dec 10, 9:28 am, Vk > wrote:

> > > I cant see an easy way to get at anything prior to the turbo. The
> > > engine compartment is jammed full.- Hide quoted text -

> > I have the same car. I had same issue last year or early this year (~
> > 81K). Well, I posted on this forum but did not hear anything. First of
> > all, if you are in really cold areas then you may expect some smoke in
> > the winters. At the start of the winter, it seems to be a lot. Mine
> > had some bad smoke once when I started to work for 3-4 miles in the
> > morning (temperatures ~ 25-30 F or -2 to -5 C). I turned around and
> > went to a mechanic shop. But by then there was no smoke. The mechanic
> > said it was usual in the winters. If there is any oil that settled and
> > froze overnight may burn incompletely and give some smoke cold
> > weather. I did not see much smoke later on. I still keep a watch on
> > it.

> > After couple of months, all of a sudden my car starting shaking real
> > bad in a parking lot and then I had issues in the engine. one of the 6
> > valves had debris/ residue settled in it and was misfiring. It had to
> > be replaced and costed a bomb (1200$). It could be a completely
> > independent issue from the smoke but I believe the smoke (if it is too
> > bad) was an indication of the debris collected. I would get it checked
> > or atleast have an engine oil flush (100$) which is good for the car
> > as part of maintenace at a high mileage. I would check with a dealer
> > and see if it is suggested and get it done at any good oil change
> > shop. Good luck. Let us know if you found any solutions to your smoke
> > issue.- Hide quoted text -

> Did you have a sound like an exhaust leak or an open turbo waste gate?- Hide quoted text -

No. I did not have any noise. Not that I could notice.
Old December 12th 07, 11:53 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jims Audi[_2_]

I do.
Old January 13th 08, 03:12 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

It is not uncommon for the early 2.7 biturbos to need turbos. Drop the
under engine cover and you will see the intercoolers. Pull the hoses
off and check to see if any oil is present. Some oil is normal but if
there is a lot than the turbos need replacing. The cat converters are
very efficent and you might not always see excessive amount of smoke.

From 1999 to 2001 when VW was having oil consumption issues with the
2.0 we had cars that were documented oil consumers and never saw smoke
out the tail pipes.

Again why did you go to synthetic oil? This car is suppose to use
regular oil. Model year 2004 is when everything swapped over to
synthetic across the model line.

Have you performed an oil consumption test?

Make sure the oil is at the full mark and write down the exact
mileage.

Use 4 full tanks of fuel.

Check the oil to see if it is moving.

If it is now monitor after each tank full.

The bottom line is you have to be at exactly 1 quart used on the
stick.

When you are write down the mileage top off the oil and do it again.

After the second quart now compare the results.

Is the second reading close to the first?

If it is close than that is the consumption to 1 quart of oil.

I wouldn't condem anything until you know exactly what the consumption
is.

Other posters did mention cold weather start up. Depending on your
location it is not uncommon to push some smoke because of fuel
enrichment during cold start up.

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 06:15:30 -0800 (PST), Jims Audi
> wrote:

>My 2000 audi a6 2.7t just started smoking (real bad) out of both
>exhaust pipes. It also sounds like the waste gate is partially open
>(like a small exhaust leak). The oil is 3 weeks old (synthetic 5w 40)
>as is the filter. I am not getting any engine codes and the car seems
>to run OK. Not that I took it too far when I saw the smoke. Could it
>be the turbo? What would cause that to happen? Too lean a fuel
>mixture? Just age?

No smoking sign in car? Alexander Rogge Driving 98 October 14th 07 12:43 AM
pcv breather smoking 88yj Jeep 5 September 19th 07 09:29 PM
Motorcycles and smoking Fred G. Mackey[_2_] Driving 11 June 23rd 07 01:21 AM
Getting rid of smoking smells Ignasi. BMW 18 April 8th 06 09:34 PM
smoking in the car Mike Z. Helm Driving 0 December 7th 04 07:02 PM