Squeaky/chirpy (interior) fan - how to fix?

Old September 5th 07, 06:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bart Oleksy

Default Squeaky/chirpy (interior) fan - how to fix?

I have a '98 A6 QW and a '97 A4 Q2.8 that are both showing similar
symptoms with the interior fan...sounds like a squeaking/chirping noise
coming from the center fan from time to time.

In the A6, it often shows up immediately after going over a bump, then
dies down again after a few seconds, but sometimes just starts without
any noticeable incident.

Local shop thought it could only be fixed with a new fan, $400-ish plus
installation/labor/labour! Is there something else that can be done to
reduce/eliminate the noise? Can be very annoying if it lasts for very
long... thanks for all ideas!

Bart

Old September 5th 07, 06:55 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Daniels

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:47:06 -0600, against all advice, something
compelled Bart Oleksy >, to say:

> Local shop thought it could only be fixed with a new fan, $400-ish plus
> installation/labor/labour! Is there something else that can be done to
> reduce/eliminate the noise? Can be very annoying if it lasts for very
> long... thanks for all ideas!

Can you get to the fan? I'm thinking a little squirt of WD40
would do the trick.
--

Life is too short to play cheap guitars.
Old September 5th 07, 07:14 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bart Oleksy

Steve Daniels wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:47:06 -0600, against all advice, something
> compelled Bart Oleksy >, to say:
>
>> Local shop thought it could only be fixed with a new fan, $400-ish plus
>> installation/labor/labour! Is there something else that can be done to
>> reduce/eliminate the noise? Can be very annoying if it lasts for very
>> long... thanks for all ideas!

> Can you get to the fan? I'm thinking a little squirt of WD40
> would do the trick.

I haven't tried to get at it yet myself - not terribly handy at such
things, but willing to give easy things a try! I believe I can get the
vent covers off (!), but not sure how far the actual fan is from the
center vents. Anyone know?

I like the WD-40 idea, just not sure how to deliver the payload!

Thanks for the quick response.

Bart

Old September 5th 07, 07:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

Bart Oleksy wrote:
> Steve Daniels wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:47:06 -0600, against all advice, something
>> compelled Bart Oleksy >, to say:
>>
>>> Local shop thought it could only be fixed with a new fan,
>>> $400-ish plus installation/labor/labour! Is there something
>>> else that can be done to reduce/eliminate the noise? Can be
>>> very annoying if it lasts for very long... thanks for all ideas!

>> Can you get to the fan? I'm thinking a little squirt of WD40
>> would do the trick.

> I haven't tried to get at it yet myself - not terribly handy at such
> things, but willing to give easy things a try! I believe I can get
> the vent covers off (!), but not sure how far the actual fan is from
> the center vents. Anyone know?
>
> I like the WD-40 idea, just not sure how to deliver the payload!
>
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> Bart

I think it is accessible from under the plastic cover that is just in
front of the windshield (under the hood).

Turn the fan on and you will know where it is

Access top the bearings is probably covered but you could drill a small
hole in the center of the end of the motor, WD40 and then cover with
tape of silicone seal.
Old September 5th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
daytripper

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:28:32 -0600, Tony > wrote:

>Bart Oleksy wrote:
>> Steve Daniels wrote:
>>> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:47:06 -0600, against all advice, something
>>> compelled Bart Oleksy >, to say:

>>> Can you get to the fan? I'm thinking a little squirt of WD40
>>> would do the trick.

>> I haven't tried to get at it yet myself - not terribly handy at such
>> things, but willing to give easy things a try! I believe I can get
>> the vent covers off (!), but not sure how far the actual fan is from
>> the center vents. Anyone know?
>>
>> I like the WD-40 idea, just not sure how to deliver the payload!
>>
>> Thanks for the quick response.
>>
>> Bart
>>

>I think it is accessible from under the plastic cover that is just in
>front of the windshield (under the hood).
>
>Turn the fan on and you will know where it is
>
>Access top the bearings is probably covered but you could drill a small
>hole in the center of the end of the motor, WD40 and then cover with
>tape of silicone seal.

Per the Bentley CD, A4 1996 and up access to blower is via the glove box (the
door and innards of which need to be removed first). It looks trivial to do.

/daytripper
'00 s4 6spd
Old September 6th 07, 06:49 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
Bart Oleksy > wrote:

> I have a '98 A6 QW and a '97 A4 Q2.8 that are both showing similar
> symptoms with the interior fan...sounds like a squeaking/chirping noise
> coming from the center fan from time to time.
>
> In the A6, it often shows up immediately after going over a bump, then
> dies down again after a few seconds, but sometimes just starts without
> any noticeable incident.
>
> Local shop thought it could only be fixed with a new fan, $400-ish plus
> installation/labor/labour! Is there something else that can be done to
> reduce/eliminate the noise? Can be very annoying if it lasts for very
> long... thanks for all ideas!
>
> Bart

Sometimes DC motor brushes squeak against a glazed commutator when
they're run at low speed for a long time. A few minutes at full power
should fix it.
Old September 6th 07, 05:33 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bart Oleksy

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> In article >,
> Bart Oleksy > wrote:
>
>> I have a '98 A6 QW and a '97 A4 Q2.8 that are both showing similar
>> symptoms with the interior fan...sounds like a squeaking/chirping noise
>> coming from the center fan from time to time.
>>
>> In the A6, it often shows up immediately after going over a bump, then
>> dies down again after a few seconds, but sometimes just starts without
>> any noticeable incident.
>>
>> Local shop thought it could only be fixed with a new fan, $400-ish plus
>> installation/labor/labour! Is there something else that can be done to
>> reduce/eliminate the noise? Can be very annoying if it lasts for very
>> long... thanks for all ideas!
>>
>> Bart

> Sometimes DC motor brushes squeak against a glazed commutator when
> they're run at low speed for a long time. A few minutes at full power
> should fix it.

I haven't tried that with the A4 yet, but the A6 fan we've had on high
for quite a while (when it's on that borderline between using the AC on
low or no AC on high). Still, definitely worth a shot in the A4 - thanks!!

Bart

Old September 12th 07, 07:57 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Hooch

On Sep 5, 6:55 pm, Steve Daniels > wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:47:06 -0600, against all advice, something
> compelled Bart Oleksy >, to say:
>
> > Local shop thought it could only be fixed with a new fan, $400-ish plus
> > installation/labor/labour! Is there something else that can be done to
> > reduce/eliminate the noise? Can be very annoying if it lasts for very
> > long... thanks for all ideas!

> Can you get to the fan? I'm thinking a little squirt of WD40
> would do the trick.

Won't the interior of the car then smell of WD-40 until it all
evaporates?

Old September 12th 07, 01:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
batman

On Sep 12, 1:57 am, Hooch > wrote:
> On Sep 5, 6:55 pm, Steve Daniels > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:47:06 -0600, against all advice, something
> > compelled Bart Oleksy >, to say:

> > > Local shop thought it could only be fixed with a new fan, $400-ish plus
> > > installation/labor/labour! Is there something else that can be done to
> > > reduce/eliminate the noise? Can be very annoying if it lasts for very
> > > long... thanks for all ideas!

> > Can you get to the fan? I'm thinking a little squirt of WD40
> > would do the trick.

> Won't the interior of the car then smell of WD-40 until it all
> evaporates?

I had the same problem with my 2000 A6. Access the fan through the
glove box and remove fan, clean it up and use an appliance oil (will
last longer than WD-40). I did that a year ago and I am just starting
to hear a squeak every once in a while at low fan speed. The
appliance oil has a long tube (spout) so you are able to lube at the
fan area with out getting it all over everything else.

Brian

Old September 12th 07, 05:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Bart Oleksy

batman wrote:
> On Sep 12, 1:57 am, Hooch > wrote:
>> On Sep 5, 6:55 pm, Steve Daniels > wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:47:06 -0600, against all advice, something
>>> compelled Bart Oleksy >, to say:
>>> Can you get to the fan? I'm thinking a little squirt of WD40
>>> would do the trick.

>> Won't the interior of the car then smell of WD-40 until it all
>> evaporates?

> I had the same problem with my 2000 A6. Access the fan through the
> glove box and remove fan, clean it up and use an appliance oil (will
> last longer than WD-40). I did that a year ago and I am just starting
> to hear a squeak every once in a while at low fan speed. The
> appliance oil has a long tube (spout) so you are able to lube at the
> fan area with out getting it all over everything else.
>
> Brian

Sounds good to me! Will give that a try, or have the shop do it next
time. Much appreciated...

Will that also work on my B5 ('97) A4 2.8Q? I mean, accessing the fan
through the glove box?

Bart

Squeaky Pulley espressomaker Ford Explorer 3 December 29th 05 04:30 PM
Squeaky Brakes neosirex Honda 2 November 2nd 05 04:35 PM
Squeaky Suspension jaydee56 Ford Explorer 18 September 24th 05 10:01 PM
'04 ZO6 Squeaky Brakes Spud Corvette 9 July 5th 05 04:20 PM
Squeaky Gas Pedal Brian BMW 6 January 28th 05 03:17 AM