High mileage A4s

Old July 12th 07, 04:44 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Nay-Sayer

Default High mileage A4s

Thinking about buying a high mileage A4 Quattro, '96 - '98 vintage,
and was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out
for? Thanks.

TNS

Old July 12th 07, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Yes Baby

"Nay-Sayer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thinking about buying a high mileage A4 Quattro, '96 - '98 vintage,
> and was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out
> for? Thanks.
>
> TNS

documented evidence of cam belt replacement..........

Old July 12th 07, 07:51 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Chris Bartram[_1_]

Nay-Sayer wrote:
> Thinking about buying a high mileage A4 Quattro, '96 - '98 vintage,
> and was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out
> for? Thanks.
>
> TNS

The obvious one is suspension wear, especially the front.
Old July 12th 07, 09:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
iws

"Nay-Sayer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thinking about buying a high mileage A4 Quattro, '96 - '98 vintage,
> and was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out
> for? Thanks.
>
> TNS

As others have suggested, timing belt replacement (and associated items such
as water pump, tensioners), front suspension components (control arms, tie
rod ends) and would add: oil or coolant leaks, evidence of sludge problem,
need for brake pads and rotors, CV joint boot integrity.

Old July 12th 07, 10:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Nay-Sayer

On Jul 12, 3:41 pm, "iws" > wrote:
> "Nay-Sayer" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > Thinking about buying a high mileage A4 Quattro, '96 - '98 vintage,
> > and was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out
> > for? Thanks.

> > TNS

> As others have suggested, timing belt replacement (and associated items such
> as water pump, tensioners), front suspension components (control arms, tie
> rod ends) and would add: oil or coolant leaks, evidence of sludge problem,
> need for brake pads and rotors, CV joint boot integrity.

How costly is it to repair these items and what are high mileage A4s,
again '96-'98 vintage, going for? Thanks to all.

TNS

Old July 13th 07, 04:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
iws

"Nay-Sayer" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 12, 3:41 pm, "iws" > wrote:
>> "Nay-Sayer" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>> > Thinking about buying a high mileage A4 Quattro, '96 - '98 vintage,
>> > and was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out
>> > for? Thanks.

>> > TNS

>> As others have suggested, timing belt replacement (and associated items
>> such
>> as water pump, tensioners), front suspension components (control arms,
>> tie
>> rod ends) and would add: oil or coolant leaks, evidence of sludge
>> problem,
>> need for brake pads and rotors, CV joint boot integrity.

> How costly is it to repair these items and what are high mileage A4s,
> again '96-'98 vintage, going for? Thanks to all.
>
> TNS

I have a '98 A4 2.8Q with 92K miles and I am the original owner. I had the
TB, WP and tensioners done at 72K all to the tune of around $1000. I have
had the radiator replaced (with some hoses) to the tune of about $700.
Various oil leaks - $600. Recently I had all the fronnt upper control arms
and tie rod ends replaced to the tune of $1300. The mechanic says the oil
leaks are back although I have not noticed drips on the garage floor or the
old smell of burning oil as the leaks dribbled onto the exhaust pipe.
Mechanic also said front pads and likely rotoirs needed replacement and
quoted about $500. I will do them myself for a fraction of that (this would
be the second time they've been done - the rears I did myself once). The
sludge problem is an issue mostly with the 1.8T IIRC. Audi has sort of taken
care of those engines that have been more or less trashed as a result - I
say sort of since my understanding is you have to have meticulous records of
oil and filter changes at exactly the recommended intervals. Just for that
reason, I would stay away from the 1.8T unless it's been maintained by the
book by the dealer. Also, without a chip, the 1.8T of those years in the
quattro version is a bit on the slow side. With a chip, it will be peppier
but will likely have been driven hard too. One thing I didn't mention is my
cruise control doesn't work. I haven't bothered to track down the problem
since I don't use it.

Price for one of these? I'd suggest looking on edmunds.com and check ebay to
see what similar cars have sold for. I suspect mine might be worth around
$5K.

Old July 14th 07, 02:54 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
wtrplnet

"iws" > wrote in message
> "Nay-Sayer" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On Jul 12, 3:41 pm, "iws" > wrote:
>>> "Nay-Sayer" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> oups.com...

>>> As others have suggested, timing belt replacement (and associated items
>>> such
>>> as water pump, tensioners), front suspension components (control arms,
>>> tie
>>> rod ends) and would add: oil or coolant leaks, evidence of sludge
>>> problem,
>>> need for brake pads and rotors, CV joint boot integrity.

>> How costly is it to repair these items and what are high mileage A4s,
>> again '96-'98 vintage, going for? Thanks to all.
>>
>> TNS

> I have a '98 A4 2.8Q with 92K miles and I am the original owner. I had the
> TB, WP and tensioners done at 72K all to the tune of around $1000. I have
> had the radiator replaced (with some hoses) to the tune of about $700.
> Various oil leaks - $600. Recently I had all the fronnt upper control arms
> and tie rod ends replaced to the tune of $1300. The mechanic says the oil
> leaks are back although I have not noticed drips on the garage floor or
> the old smell of burning oil as the leaks dribbled onto the exhaust pipe.
> Mechanic also said front pads and likely rotoirs needed replacement and
> quoted about $500. I will do them myself for a fraction of that (this
> would be the second time they've been done - the rears I did myself once).
> The sludge problem is an issue mostly with the 1.8T IIRC. Audi has sort of
> taken care of those engines that have been more or less trashed as a
> result - I say sort of since my understanding is you have to have
> meticulous records of oil and filter changes at exactly the recommended
> intervals. Just for that reason, I would stay away from the 1.8T unless
> it's been maintained by the book by the dealer. Also, without a chip, the
> 1.8T of those years in the quattro version is a bit on the slow side. With
> a chip, it will be peppier but will likely have been driven hard too. One
> thing I didn't mention is my cruise control doesn't work. I haven't
> bothered to track down the problem since I don't use it.
>
> Price for one of these? I'd suggest looking on edmunds.com and check ebay
> to see what similar cars have sold for. I suspect mine might be worth
> around $5K.

From a potential purchaser viewpoint... I found a really nice looking A4
Avant, 1999, 1.8T. Drove it, fine except for a pull to the right at higher
(55-60mph) speed. Had it inspected by an independant, minimum $4,000
repairs just to make it 'decent.' 100,000k miles, and it had documented
drive belt change at 80,000. Considering the needed repairs I couldn't
justify paying more than $2,000 for it. Seller wanted $8,000. Yesterday I
bought a 2006 Jetta (not my first choice) with 10,000 miles on it and three
more years on the factory warranty for $14,000. I have no regrets. The
Jetta has a 2.5L and 5 speed.

Old July 17th 07, 01:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Av

On 2007-07-14, wtrplnet > wrote:
> From a potential purchaser viewpoint... I found a really nice looking A4
> Avant, 1999, 1.8T. Drove it, fine except for a pull to the right at higher
> (55-60mph) speed. Had it inspected by an independant, minimum $4,000
> repairs just to make it 'decent.' 100,000k miles, and it had documented
> drive belt change at 80,000. Considering the needed repairs I couldn't
> justify paying more than $2,000 for it. Seller wanted $8,000. Yesterday I
> bought a 2006 Jetta (not my first choice) with 10,000 miles on it and three
> more years on the factory warranty for $14,000. I have no regrets. The
> Jetta has a 2.5L and 5 speed.

Watch closely for sludge build ups in those engines, even with regular
oil changes. If you notice any black substances inside the crank case,
deal with it immediately :-)

high mileage M3 [email protected] BMW 18 March 3rd 07 01:04 PM
high mileage oil choice? josh BMW 2 November 10th 05 01:39 AM
High Mileage 156 ? Chris S Alfa Romeo 6 October 7th 05 02:17 PM
Penzoil high-mileage oil Raymond J. Henry Technology 2 April 18th 05 07:56 PM
High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM