C6 Automatic: Shifting out of Park w/ Dead Battery

Old April 25th 07, 03:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Frank M.

Default C6 Automatic: Shifting out of Park w/ Dead Battery

Just curious. The User's Manual for my '07 C6 w/ auto trans says that
to shift out of Park when the engine isn't or won't run, pull on the
shift lever slightly and just hit the Accesory button twice to pulse
the tranny selector engagement switch. But what if there is no battery
or a dead battery and you need to move the car to get access to under
the hood? Some other models have a small detent somewhere that allow a
screwdriver to be used to disengage Park.
Thanks.
--
Frank M.
Old April 25th 07, 09:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Frank M. wrote:
> Just curious. The User's Manual for my '07 C6 w/ auto trans says that
> to shift out of Park when the engine isn't or won't run, pull on the
> shift lever slightly and just hit the Accesory button twice to pulse
> the tranny selector engagement switch. But what if there is no battery
> or a dead battery and you need to move the car to get access to under
> the hood? Some other models have a small detent somewhere that allow a
> screwdriver to be used to disengage Park.
> Thanks.

This is a bit of a whine about a self-inflicted wound; however, GM must
assume that the battery never goes dead.

Had a battery go south last year while in a mall parking lot. No cell
phone with me as the truck has OnStar. Tried to place a call to AAA for
a jumpstart or tow. No dice--no backup battery for OnStar. Car
batteries just shouldn't go dead. -- PJ