Moving car through U.S. from Canada on temporary registration?

Old January 9th 06, 02:23 AM posted to alt.travel.canada,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.autos.driving,misc.immigration.canada

Default Moving car through U.S. from Canada on temporary registration?

Hello,

I'll be buying a car in another province in Canada and driving it
back through the U.S. to my home province with a temporary registration
permit. This means that the car will not have any plates in place and
will only have a temporary paper permit placed on the front window.

To me, this seems somewhat risky to drive long distances, through two
countries with no obvious plates on display.

Am I more likely to get stopped or hassled at the border in this
situation?

Has anyone done this before and have you had any problems?

Dave

Old January 15th 06, 09:26 PM posted to alt.travel.canada,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.autos.driving,misc.immigration.canada

from the Insurance Corp. of BC website:
=====================================
Below is a highlighted representation of the following document:
http://www.icbc.com/faqs/vehicle/bring_backpu.asp

Your search term: temporary registration

Question

I bought a vehicle outside B.C. How do I insure it to bring it back to
B.C.?

Answer

When you buy a vehicle outside of B.C., you can get a Temporary
Operation Permit from the jurisdiction where you bought the vehicle or a
Binder for Owner's Interim Certificate of Insurance. It allows the
vehicle to be driven back through Canada and the USA and provides
insurance coverage for the vehicle only.

More information.

After returning to B.C.

Once you have returned to your destination in B.C., the permit is no
longer valid. You must purchase a Temporary Operation Permit and Owner's
Certificate of Insurance to move the vehicle for inspection or
registration and licensing purposes.

Where to buy insurance

If you are in B.C., you can buy the Temporary Operation Permit or Binder
for Owner's Interim Certificate of Insurance from any Autoplan broker.

If you are outside of B.C., call 1-800-328-4484.

Print this answer

Copyright © 2006 ICBC - Insurance Corporation of British Columbia
a.. Contact Us |
b.. Privacy Statement |
c.. Disclaimer
====================================
"DP" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'll be buying a car in another province in Canada and driving it
> back through the U.S. to my home province with a temporary
> registration
> permit. This means that the car will not have any plates in place and
> will only have a temporary paper permit placed on the front window.
>
> To me, this seems somewhat risky to drive long distances, through two
> countries with no obvious plates on display.
>
> Am I more likely to get stopped or hassled at the border in this
> situation?
>
> Has anyone done this before and have you had any problems?
>
> Dave

Attached Images
File Type: gif top_button.gif (94 Bytes, 49 views)
File Type: gif close_up.gif (123 Bytes, 41 views)