GM's future

Old April 1st 09, 07:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
CardsFan

Default GM's future

Chevrolet and Cadillac and that's it.

What do they need GMC for? If the Chinese love Buicks so much, sell the
brand to them and be done with it. Saturn ought to be marketable too.

AJM
'93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Old April 1st 09, 09:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

CardsFan wrote:
> Chevrolet and Cadillac and that's it.
>
> What do they need GMC for? If the Chinese love Buicks so much, sell the
> brand to them and be done with it. Saturn ought to be marketable too.
>
> AJM
> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Good grief. This is all about boomers.

Yeah, I'm puzzled by the GMC bit as well. That
might be to assuage some franchise buy-out
issues. I've read the pitch but don't pretend
to understand GM's whole Saturn business model.

But, in the case of Buick, I can help. The post
shows a lack of market smarts.

It's really about sex. Geriatric sex!

The babes I "run" with do well with the
positioning of hand-holds, loudspeakers, door
sills, seat bolsters, courtesy lights, passenger
a/c controls and arm rests in Buicks. May seem
like trivia but Buick agonizes about changing
anything--like when they dropped push-button
door locks in the 'new millennium.'

Few old-farts want a Chinese car...ask around
any nursing home.

Buick does a great job of building coachwork
around wrinkled bodies. Not Mercury, not
Avalon, not Mercedes, not BMW. None do it as
well. From Dynaflow to the latest soft-THM,
it's always been a smooth and graceful start off
the line! Turbo? Never. Rootes blower for us.

Sound proofing was added, mostly in the last
four years. It's now needed as the Boomers
become "age eligible." Few fought in the wars
and retain good hearing. Those that were in the
wars have enough money to buy hearing aids.
Buick maintains an acute awareness of 'adult'
needs--and has the focus group data to prove it.

Golf marketing is done, not with the intent to
sell Buicks to golfers. It plants a the seed so
that when the arthritic pains hit, they are ready.

Many Buick buyers don't venture from dealer to
dealer trying to cut the best deal-- there's a
risk of pain with movement. Most have credit
scores that are attractive in the F&I room.
Some never make it to F&I. Those just write the
check when the salesman quotes the sticker price
plus tax and license!

Now, if you were running GM, would you throw
Grandma out with the bath water??

I own/drive a couple of 'vettes. It's mostly to
check on the status of my knees and see if I'm
ready for replacement surgery!
--
pj
C4, both tops... C5, one top.
Old April 2nd 09, 01:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"pj" > wrote in message
> CardsFan wrote:
>> Chevrolet and Cadillac and that's it.
>>
>> What do they need GMC for? If the Chinese love Buicks so much, sell the
>> brand to them and be done with it. Saturn ought to be marketable too.
>>
>> AJM
>> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

> Good grief. This is all about boomers.
>
> Yeah, I'm puzzled by the GMC bit as well. That might be to assuage some
> franchise buy-out issues. I've read the pitch but don't pretend to
> understand GM's whole Saturn business model.
>
> But, in the case of Buick, I can help. The post shows a lack of market
> smarts.
>
> It's really about sex. Geriatric sex!
>
> The babes I "run" with do well with the positioning of hand-holds,
> loudspeakers, door sills, seat bolsters, courtesy lights, passenger a/c
> controls and arm rests in Buicks. May seem like trivia but Buick agonizes
> about changing anything--like when they dropped push-button door locks in
> the 'new millennium.'
>
> Few old-farts want a Chinese car...ask around any nursing home.
>
> Buick does a great job of building coachwork around wrinkled bodies. Not
> Mercury, not Avalon, not Mercedes, not BMW. None do it as well. From
> Dynaflow to the latest soft-THM, it's always been a smooth and graceful
> start off the line! Turbo? Never. Rootes blower for us.
>
> Sound proofing was added, mostly in the last four years. It's now needed
> as the Boomers become "age eligible." Few fought in the wars and retain
> good hearing. Those that were in the wars have enough money to buy
> hearing aids. Buick maintains an acute awareness of 'adult' needs--and has
> the focus group data to prove it.
>
> Golf marketing is done, not with the intent to sell Buicks to golfers. It
> plants a the seed so that when the arthritic pains hit, they are ready.
>
> Many Buick buyers don't venture from dealer to dealer trying to cut the
> best deal-- there's a risk of pain with movement. Most have credit scores
> that are attractive in the F&I room. Some never make it to F&I. Those
> just write the check when the salesman quotes the sticker price plus tax
> and license!
>
> Now, if you were running GM, would you throw Grandma out with the bath
> water??
>
> I own/drive a couple of 'vettes. It's mostly to check on the status of my
> knees and see if I'm ready for replacement surgery!
> --
> pj
> C4, both tops... C5, one top.

Love the port holes -- wonder how they would look on my Accord.

Old April 3rd 09, 03:14 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

tww1491 wrote:
> "pj" > wrote in message
>> CardsFan wrote:
>>> Chevrolet and Cadillac and that's it.
>>>
>>> What do they need GMC for? If the Chinese love Buicks so much, sell the
>>> brand to them and be done with it. Saturn ought to be marketable too.
>>>
>>> AJM
>>> '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

>> Good grief. This is all about boomers.
>>
>> Yeah, I'm puzzled by the GMC bit as well. That might be to assuage some
>> franchise buy-out issues. I've read the pitch but don't pretend to
>> understand GM's whole Saturn business model.
>>
>> But, in the case of Buick, I can help. The post shows a lack of market
>> smarts.
>>
>> It's really about sex. Geriatric sex!
>>
>> The babes I "run" with do well with the positioning of hand-holds,
>> loudspeakers, door sills, seat bolsters, courtesy lights, passenger a/c
>> controls and arm rests in Buicks. May seem like trivia but Buick agonizes
>> about changing anything--like when they dropped push-button door locks in
>> the 'new millennium.'
>>
>> Few old-farts want a Chinese car...ask around any nursing home.
>>
>> Buick does a great job of building coachwork around wrinkled bodies. Not
>> Mercury, not Avalon, not Mercedes, not BMW. None do it as well. From
>> Dynaflow to the latest soft-THM, it's always been a smooth and graceful
>> start off the line! Turbo? Never. Rootes blower for us.
>>
>> Sound proofing was added, mostly in the last four years. It's now needed
>> as the Boomers become "age eligible." Few fought in the wars and retain
>> good hearing. Those that were in the wars have enough money to buy
>> hearing aids. Buick maintains an acute awareness of 'adult' needs--and has
>> the focus group data to prove it.
>>
>> Golf marketing is done, not with the intent to sell Buicks to golfers. It
>> plants a the seed so that when the arthritic pains hit, they are ready.
>>
>> Many Buick buyers don't venture from dealer to dealer trying to cut the
>> best deal-- there's a risk of pain with movement. Most have credit scores
>> that are attractive in the F&I room. Some never make it to F&I. Those
>> just write the check when the salesman quotes the sticker price plus tax
>> and license!
>>
>> Now, if you were running GM, would you throw Grandma out with the bath
>> water??
>>
>> I own/drive a couple of 'vettes. It's mostly to check on the status of my
>> knees and see if I'm ready for replacement surgery!
>> --
>> pj
>> C4, both tops... C5, one top.

> Love the port holes -- wonder how they would look on my Accord.

Have seen them on a Dodge RAM and on a Hyundai.
Don't look any better on those than they look
on a Buick.

Harley Earl put the "Venti-ports" on the '48
Roadmaster, supposedly to reduce high underhood
temps...they didn't.

--
pj