Finally got hit...

Old June 9th 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

Default Finally got hit...

....for real.

Sure, I've had a guy roll back into my left front corner at an
intersection (never fixed)...

....and I've:

dented left front fender when exiting a parking slot (never fixed)

broken the left rear light cluster lens (never fixed)

tapped the right front corner on a light standard on a rainy night
(never fixed)

and accumulated various other scrapes and minor dings.

So suffice it to say that my Miata needs a little TLC.

But now I've really got a reason to get it done.

Last Tuesday, someone in a nearly new Sunbird/Cavalier tried to turn
left between me and the car I was following. Bad move. I got the brakes
on hard, but I couldn't miss him.

A testament to how tough the Miata is is that while I nearly tore the
rear bumber clean off the GM POS, the front right corner of my Miata
really isn't too badly beaten up. But it's beaten up badly enough that
I'm getting it fixed on the other guy's insurance, that's sure.

So it seems to me that I might as well get all the rest of the wounds
fixed as well. Which leads to my question:

Does anyone have an idea of what the overall cost should be of fixing
the dings on two corners (along with assorted scrapes and chips, etc.),
and then getting the whole thing painted?

The shop that's doing the insurance repair is going to call me back with
an estimate for the rest of the work in the next day or so, and I'd like
to have some clue as to what's reasonable when they call, so your input
on the subject would be much appreciated.

Alan

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old June 10th 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Alan, w/o seeing it I don't think anybody can give you any information that
will be helpful. In other words, it'd be a Wild Ass Guess (WAG) and how much
help can that be? You'd do better to spend some time with the guy having him
walk you thru how many hours for this and for that and even if you don't
know yourself, you can probably get a pretty good idea if he's BS'g you or
not. Maybe ask him for referrals and call around a bit see what people tell
you.

Good luck, sounds like this will turn out to be a good thing in the end,
Chris
99BBB

Old June 10th 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Alan Baker > wrote:

> Does anyone have an idea of what the overall cost should be of fixing
> the dings on two corners (along with assorted scrapes and chips, etc.),
> and then getting the whole thing painted?

US$6000, including a mediocre paint job. It's gonna need more parts than
you imagine. Start thinking about what to say when they want to total
the car. Sorry.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old June 10th 09, 11:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

> A testament to how tough the Miata is is that while I nearly tore the
> rear bumber clean off the GM POS,

dear sir,

i will have you know i own that company, gm, and i do not appreciate
your deparaging remarks. much of my wealth, and probably my kids
wealth, is in that comapny, and comments like that do not help my bank
account.

sincerely,
an american tax payer, er gm owner

Old June 12th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> US$6000, including a mediocre paint job. It's gonna need more parts than
> you imagine. Start thinking about what to say when they want to total
> the car. Sorry.

That has been my experience too. I would have spent that much fixing my
previous '96M, which was worth right about $6,000 at the time.

You have to really love the older Miatas to keep them going through any
major restoration.
Any repair cost over a pretty low dollar amount is an automatic totaling
of the car.

The last 1991 model that I tore down wasn't even wrecked badly, it just
had too much wrong to be worth the time and money to restore it.

So there went a '91 Silverstone, another Miata giving up its' guts to
keep others on the road.
Someone on here got the oil pressure gauge and sender from it, it seems
like it went to CT.

Pat - delurking
Old June 12th 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 13:25:34 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

> ...for real.
>
> Sure, I've had a guy roll back into my left front corner at an
> intersection (never fixed)...
>
> ...and I've:
>
> dented left front fender when exiting a parking slot (never fixed)
>
> broken the left rear light cluster lens (never fixed)
>
> tapped the right front corner on a light standard on a rainy night
> (never fixed)
>
> and accumulated various other scrapes and minor dings.
>
> So suffice it to say that my Miata needs a little TLC.
>
> But now I've really got a reason to get it done.
>
> Last Tuesday, someone in a nearly new Sunbird/Cavalier tried to turn
> left between me and the car I was following. Bad move. I got the brakes
> on hard, but I couldn't miss him.
>
> A testament to how tough the Miata is is that while I nearly tore the
> rear bumber clean off the GM POS, the front right corner of my Miata
> really isn't too badly beaten up. But it's beaten up badly enough that
> I'm getting it fixed on the other guy's insurance, that's sure.
>
> So it seems to me that I might as well get all the rest of the wounds
> fixed as well. Which leads to my question:
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what the overall cost should be of fixing
> the dings on two corners (along with assorted scrapes and chips, etc.),
> and then getting the whole thing painted?
>
> The shop that's doing the insurance repair is going to call me back with
> an estimate for the rest of the work in the next day or so, and I'd like
> to have some clue as to what's reasonable when they call, so your input
> on the subject would be much appreciated.

That's too bad, Alan. What year did you say you have, 90 or 91?
Hopefully it will still be cost-effective to have it repaired. If not,
this may be an opportunity to perhaps get another Miata with less miles
on it. This happened to my brother to an older car that he loved, and he
was able to pick up another one of the same model with far fewer miles
on it and in much better condition for less than the cost of repairing
the original. He said afterward the accident was a blessing in disguise,
though obviously he didn't feel that way at the time.
Old June 13th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Ouch!

Chris
99BBB

YES! FINALLY!!! Don Bruder Technology 32 July 7th 08 07:32 AM
YES! FINALLY!!! Don Bruder Mazda 45 July 7th 08 07:32 AM
Finally..... SteveH Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 07 11:49 AM
Finally! JohnH Driving 16 July 30th 05 12:08 AM
Finally.. Thomas Strandtoft Alfa Romeo 34 September 16th 04 09:24 PM