Oil puddle from 2004 BMW 330i

Old January 15th 05, 06:12 AM
GB

Default Oil puddle from 2004 BMW 330i

I have a 2004 330i. It had its first oil change at the dealer about
three weeks ago at about 13k miles. I checked the oil level right after
they changed it, and it was at the correct level.

Today, three weeks later, I noticed a large puddle of oil on the floor
of my garage. At least it feels and smells like oil. The low oil
indicator was not on.

I parked the car in the driveway so I could clean up the oil in the
garage. When I moved the car back into the garage, there was another
puddle in the driveway where the car had been parked. When I checked the
oil level after letting the car sit for a half hour, it was still at the
full mark.

Prior to the oil change, I had occasionally noticed a sweet odor like
leaking coolant. I told them about it when the car was in for the oil
change. They said they did a pressure test and did not find any
problems, but that they did find a power steering leak that they fixed.

I thought power steering fluid did not have an oily consistency, but was
more like transmission fluid.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I take the car back to the
dealer? Thanks.

/gb
Old January 15th 05, 09:25 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article <rC1Gd.17124$B95.11688@lakeread02>,
GB > wrote:
> I thought power steering fluid did not have an oily consistency, but was
> more like transmission fluid.

I had a power steering leak and initially confused it with an engine one.
It's not red like older ATF.

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 15th 05, 10:27 PM
GB

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <rC1Gd.17124$B95.11688@lakeread02>,
> GB > wrote:
>
>>I thought power steering fluid did not have an oily consistency, but was
>>more like transmission fluid.

> I had a power steering leak and initially confused it with an engine one.
> It's not red like older ATF.

It just occurred to me, could this be from the steering rack? Does that
hold a substantial amount of oil? What I am seeing is very clean oil,
about 30 weight, and it is dripping through a hole in the plastic cover
between the front wheels.

Old January 15th 05, 11:24 PM
Jim Levie

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:27:49 -0500, GB wrote:

> It just occurred to me, could this be from the steering rack? Does that
> hold a substantial amount of oil? What I am seeing is very clean oil,
> about 30 weight, and it is dripping through a hole in the plastic cover
> between the front wheels.

The steering system uses ATF, which is considerably thinner than engine
oil. Having said that, it can be difficult to tell the difference between
ATF and engine oil once it is on the ground. And since the belly pan is
preventing you from seeing where the oil is leaking from it really could
be either.

Since you've just had an oil service done, my bet is that the leak is from
the oil filter or drain plug.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old January 15th 05, 11:39 PM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"GB" > wrote in message
>I have a 2004 330i. It had its first oil change at the dealer about three
>weeks ago at about 13k miles. I checked the oil level right after they
>changed it, and it was at the correct level.
>
> Today, three weeks later, I noticed a large puddle of oil on the floor of
> my garage. At least it feels and smells like oil. The low oil indicator
> was not on.
>
> I parked the car in the driveway so I could clean up the oil in the
> garage. When I moved the car back into the garage, there was another
> puddle in the driveway where the car had been parked. When I checked the
> oil level after letting the car sit for a half hour, it was still at the
> full mark.
>
> Prior to the oil change, I had occasionally noticed a sweet odor like
> leaking coolant. I told them about it when the car was in for the oil
> change. They said they did a pressure test and did not find any problems,
> but that they did find a power steering leak that they fixed.
>
> I thought power steering fluid did not have an oily consistency, but was
> more like transmission fluid.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions before I take the car back to the dealer?
> Thanks.
>
> /gb

Check the power steering fluid level again. The clamps on the hose leading
from the tank are notorious for leaking. Also, look around under the car
and in the engine bay for any oily, wet looking areas. A relatively new car
like yours should be quite clean, a leak should be easy to spot.

Kyle.

Old January 16th 05, 01:01 AM
GB

Jim Levie wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:27:49 -0500, GB wrote:
>

>>It just occurred to me, could this be from the steering rack? Does that
>>hold a substantial amount of oil? What I am seeing is very clean oil,
>>about 30 weight, and it is dripping through a hole in the plastic cover
>>between the front wheels.

> The steering system uses ATF, which is considerably thinner than engine
> oil. Having said that, it can be difficult to tell the difference between
> ATF and engine oil once it is on the ground. And since the belly pan is
> preventing you from seeing where the oil is leaking from it really could
> be either.
>
> Since you've just had an oil service done, my bet is that the leak is from
> the oil filter or drain plug.

Thanks for the thought, but it turns out that it is almost certainly
power steering fluid that leaked out. After driving it a few miles, the
steering started making groaning noises, and the steering wheel has
become difficult to turn at low speeds.

I've requested a service appointment, but I would like to be able to add
the correct fluid in the meantime. Unbelievably, the manual does not
indicate what type of fluid to use, or where the reservoir is located.

/gb
Old January 16th 05, 01:04 AM
GB

Kyle and Lori Greene wrote:
> Check the power steering fluid level again. The clamps on the hose leading
> from the tank are notorious for leaking. Also, look around under the car
> and in the engine bay for any oily, wet looking areas. A relatively new car
> like yours should be quite clean, a leak should be easy to spot.

Where is the reservoir on an E46 330i? The manual does not say, and I
cannot find it. I see the brake fluid reservoir, but not the power
steering reservoir. I could not find any sign of leaking from within the
engine compartment. I see plenty of oil on the plastic cover on the
underside.

Thanks for your help.

/gb
Old January 16th 05, 01:24 AM
GB

GB wrote:
> Kyle and Lori Greene wrote:
>
>> Check the power steering fluid level again. The clamps on the hose
>> leading from the tank are notorious for leaking. Also, look around
>> under the car and in the engine bay for any oily, wet looking areas.
>> A relatively new car like yours should be quite clean, a leak should
>> be easy to spot.

> Where is the reservoir on an E46 330i? The manual does not say, and I
> cannot find it. I see the brake fluid reservoir, but not the power
> steering reservoir. I could not find any sign of leaking from within the
> engine compartment. I see plenty of oil on the plastic cover on the
> underside.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> /gb

Ok, I found the reservoir. It is empty. The cap says "ATF oil only". I
wish they could have been a little more specific. Does this mean Dexron
III? I have a bottle of that, but its color is redish, whereas what is
on my garage floor is golden.

/gb
Old January 16th 05, 02:14 AM
Jim Levie

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:24:31 -0500, GB wrote:

> Ok, I found the reservoir. It is empty. The cap says "ATF oil only". I
> wish they could have been a little more specific. Does this mean Dexron
> III? I have a bottle of that, but its color is redish, whereas what is
> on my garage floor is golden.

ATF III is fine. The color seems to be ATF vendor specific.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old January 16th 05, 11:33 AM
ENN

> III? I have a bottle of that, but its color is redish, whereas what is on
> my garage floor is golden.

BMW use Castrol Transmax Z from factory - it is a ATF oil but not red but
golden - not all ATF oils are red.

price advice on 2004 325Ci Drew BMW 1 January 9th 05 02:16 PM
Bad Gas Mileage with 2005 330i BMW with Performance Package Kent Lewis BMW 26 December 10th 04 07:14 PM
Used 330i with Performance Package vs. Sport Package GRL BMW 9 November 21st 04 10:22 PM
looking for 2004 BMW 325i Raj BMW 0 October 19th 04 08:00 PM
G35 vs. 330i sedans why did you choose one over the other? GRL BMW 59 October 9th 04 01:35 PM