Replaced throttle position sensor- reset computer?

Old February 15th 05, 08:28 PM
fnord

Default Replaced throttle position sensor- reset computer?

I recently replaced the throttle position sensor on my '88 Accord.
According to a recent posting by Jim Beam about fixing TPS's, after you
replace it you need to reset the computer. How is this done? For that
matter, where is the computer?

Old February 15th 05, 09:54 PM

fnord wrote:
> I recently replaced the throttle position sensor on my '88 Accord.
> According to a recent posting by Jim Beam about fixing TPS's, after

you
> replace it you need to reset the computer. How is this done? For that
> matter, where is the computer?

If the 88 Accord is the same as 94 Civic(I'm not sure they are)
The Civic has a under hood fuse box left side near the firewall.
(Standing in front of car, looking at firewall). If these fuse
boxes are alike there should be three fuses along the back of the fuse
box. The middle fuse on the Civic is marked "backup" and is 7.5 amps.
This fuse kills power to the computer thus resetting it. If you do
not have an anti theft radio (do not have) you can just disconnect
the negitive post to the battery.
Ernie

Old February 15th 05, 10:52 PM
Imminent Vengeance

fnord wrote:

> I recently replaced the throttle position sensor on my '88 Accord.
> According to a recent posting by Jim Beam about fixing TPS's, after you
> replace it you need to reset the computer. How is this done? For that
> matter, where is the computer?

Assuming the procedure is the same as with my '93 Accord, you only need to
remove the "back-up" fuse for about one minute, then put it back in. Note
that you will have to re-enter the clock time and radio presets.

I think the computer in your Accord is located under the driver's seat.
Old February 16th 05, 06:14 PM

Randolph wrote:
> wrote:
> >
> > fnord wrote:
> > > I recently replaced the throttle position sensor on my '88

Accord.
> > > According to a recent posting by Jim Beam about fixing TPS's,

after
> > you
> > > replace it you need to reset the computer. How is this done? For

that
> > > matter, where is the computer?

> > If the 88 Accord is the same as 94 Civic(I'm not sure they are)
> > The Civic has a under hood fuse box left side near the firewall.
> > (Standing in front of car, looking at firewall). If these fuse
> > boxes are alike there should be three fuses along the back of the

fuse
> > box. The middle fuse on the Civic is marked "backup" and is 7.5

amps.
> > This fuse kills power to the computer thus resetting it. If you do
> > not have an anti theft radio (do not have) you can just disconnect
> > the negitive post to the battery.
> > Ernie

> Actually, that fuse also supplies the constant power to the stereo

and
> the clock (in the '94 Civic, anyway), so if your stereo has an anti
> theft feature, you will need the code to make it work after resetting
> the ECU, regardless of whether you disconnect the battery or remove

the
> backup fuse.

Randolph, you are right again:-). I just checked that fuse in
my 94 Civic and it does indeed turn off the clock and the radio.
My manual said that pulling that fuse would reset the computer
with no warning about a anti theft radio or the clock. A former owner
had installed an after market radio so I did not have the anti theft
problem anyway. Thanks.
Ernie