99 Accord noise in Right Rear brakes

Old March 11th 05, 02:43 AM

Default 99 Accord noise in Right Rear brakes

My 99 Accord was hit in the rear today at 2MPH, barely made contact. The guy was real nice
and followed me to the body shop to pay to have bumper painted as he didn't want to file on his
insurance. They are going to paint it next week. This afternoon I heard.a creaking noise in the
right rear brakes. I noticed it mostly when I back out of driveway. I can put the car in park and
rock the car forward and back and pinpoint the noise to the right rear wheel. Any ideas of what
to look for in the brakes? It made the noise with or without the brake applied. TIA

Old March 11th 05, 02:55 PM
John Ings

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:43:51 GMT, > wrote:

>This afternoon I heard.a creaking noise in the
>right rear brakes. I noticed it mostly when I back out of driveway.
>I can put the car in park and rock the car forward and back and
>pinpoint the noise to the right rear wheel. Any ideas of what
>to look for in the brakes? It made the noise with or without
>the brake applied. TIA

Honda disk brake pads incorporate a clever device that warns the
driver when brake pads have worn down and need changing. It's simply a
U-shaped piece of metal that, when the pads are new, doesn't come near
the rotating disk. As the pad material wears away however, the end of
this metal strip comes closer and closer to the rotor until when there
is only a marginal amount of pad left, it touches the rotor during
braking. This generates discreet squeaks and scratchings at first,
most noticeable when backing up or maneuvering slowly in a parking
lot. As the contact becomes more intimate the wear strip can generate
the most ominous gronking noises that will be noticed by even the most
inattentive driver. The cure is simple, replace the pads with new
ones.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/Brakes.html#noise
Old March 14th 05, 04:23 AM
Keith J

I agree. Don't even mention to the guy who tapped you, it has nothing to do
with him. I've backed into guardrails harder than that... yes, the scrape
marks are still there.

-keith