Messed up 92 Accord Battery

Old February 12th 05, 07:29 AM
All2sober

Default Messed up 92 Accord Battery

I recently had my stereo aquired (stolen) out of my 92 Honda Accord Ex.
I drove the car the next day but after that next night the battery was
dead. I have jumped the car and after driving a while the battery
seems to charge as I can turn the car off and then back on. However,
after leaving it over night the battery dies. I have repeated the same
thing several times. So, could it just be the battery(4 years old and
I live in the mountains, ie cold), the alternator (doesn't seem like it
as it recharges the battery), or a short due to the stereo's removal
(although all i see are the main wire plug and possibly the anteanna
plug sitting in the dashboard where the stereo used to be.

There was an addition wire that ran from the circuit box to the stero
that was cut during the aquistion and was hanging down under the
steering wheel. However I have removed the wired by unplugging it from
the circuit box.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I don't want to pay a
mechanic if it could be something simple (ie: just a new battery )
thanks again

Old February 12th 05, 04:54 PM
Remco

Be sure that the connection to your ex radio are indeed insulated. If
they are are all on a connector you are probably ok. If they are just
unterminated wires, put some electrical tape on the ends so they cannot
contact anything.

I could be your battery or charging system. Perhaps it was just a
coincidence that it died right after your radio got liberated. It iis
easy to check to try this first:
Put a multimeter (set to volts -- make sure before you hook it up!!)
across the battery's positive (+) and negative (-) terminals to check
the charging voltage. Make sure that when the car is running you see
between 14-15V. Any less and your alternator or connections to it are
most likely bad.

If the charging voltage is indeed ok, check the drain of a battery
while parked. It should be very minimal, in the order of milliAmps.
To do this, hook the multimeter (set to current this time) between the
battery + and the cable +. Note that it is not across the battery like
it was checking the charging system -- it is in series with the battery
this time.
Make sure the multimeter in its current setting can measure something
in the order of several Amps because it might blow an internal fuse in
the multimeter in your case it it only measures milliAmps.
To actually measure the drain, don't start the car and have the doors
closed, no key in ignition -- leave the car just as you would have when
you park it.
Make sure the the current you see is indeed in the order of milliAmps
(certain accesories draw minimal alarm, clock, etc).

If it isn't, start pulling fuses (starting with the radio) so see what
actually draws all this current.

If all is normal, your battery is a good candidate to replace.
Remco

Old February 13th 05, 07:21 AM

I think your battery cell is gone bad. Even you recharge fully. The
bad
cell battery will not last.

01 Accord Battery changed oil light now flashes mrbubl Honda 1 January 24th 05 05:19 AM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
1998 accord battery life Matthew Honda 2 October 8th 04 04:11 AM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM