Starter solenoid current?

Old April 11th 12, 07:23 PM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

Default Starter solenoid current?

On 4/8/2012 11:18 PM, Paul Saccani wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 18:53:47 -0400, wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 17:47:51 +0800, Paul >
>> wrote:

>>> Besides us not being merkins, the fuse is there to protect you more
>>> than the meter.

>> Nope. Unless they work different when they are upside-down, and I
>> didn't notice that effect in Livingstone.

> I'm sorry, but with the greatest of respect, you do not know what you
> are talking about.

Someone thinks the fuse in the meter protects the user, which is not the
case. Whether the fuse is there, blown, or not in existence, the hazards
are the same. The fuse is intended to protect the meter from excessive
currents, and nothing else.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old April 12th 12, 08:04 AM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Trevor Wilson[_2_]

On 11/3/2011 1:31 AM, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > wrote:
>> "Bernd Felsche" wrote

>>> I'm trying to figure out the current draw by the starter solenoid,
>>> (not the starter motor) at terminal 50.
>>>
>>> It's powered through the ignition switch in the Golf GTI but the 4mm
>>> wiring has me baffled. That's too much current to go through a
>>> little ignition switch if the wire is sized for current capacity.
>>>
>>> So I assume it's sized to avoid voltage drop, which leaves me none
>>> the wiser regarding the current actually drawn by the starter
>>> solenoid.

>> Why not put an ammeter in series?

> Because it could fry the poor thing ...
> Most multimeters maxo ut at 10 Amps.
> I suspect that it could be 30A, if not more.
> Bosch book says 30 to 70A, depending on the size of the starter.

**This'll do the trick:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...for m=KEYWORD

You should be able to borrow one from your local sparky. Most have them
now, though DC rated ones are a little rarer. Auto electricians have
them. Or should.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Old April 12th 12, 09:57 AM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Krypsis

On 12/04/2012 5:04 PM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 11/3/2011 1:31 AM, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>> "Bernd Felsche" wrote

>>> Why not put an ammeter in series?

>> Because it could fry the poor thing ...
>> Most multimeters maxo ut at 10 Amps.
>> I suspect that it could be 30A, if not more.
>> Bosch book says 30 to 70A, depending on the size of the starter.

> **This'll do the trick:
>
> http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...for m=KEYWORD
>

> You should be able to borrow one from your local sparky. Most have them
> now, though DC rated ones are a little rarer. Auto electricians have
> them. Or should.

Have one similar out in the garage. Much easier to use.

--

Krypsis
Old April 12th 12, 12:56 PM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Krypsis

On 12/04/2012 9:01 PM, Paul Saccani wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:04:47 +1000, Trevor Wilson
> > wrote:

>>> Because it could fry the poor thing ...
>>> Most multimeters maxo ut at 10 Amps.
>>> I suspect that it could be 30A, if not more.
>>> Bosch book says 30 to 70A, depending on the size of the starter.

>> **This'll do the trick:
>>
>> http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...for m=KEYWORD
>>
>> You should be able to borrow one from your local sparky. Most have them
>> now, though DC rated ones are a little rarer. Auto electricians have
>> them. Or should.

> I already offered him a loaner. He prefers not to borrow equipment.
>
> You can't fault that.

A group of us used to share equipment. Had all manner of things. If we
needed something, we'd pool our resources and just buy it. Trouble is,
most members of the old group have shuffled off their mortal coils now.
I was one of the youngsters in the group. Actually, come to think of it,
I am the youngest that's left out of the few who "were" young'uns.
Ah well, I'm a tad too knackered to be crawling around and under cars
now. Best leave it to the next generation I guess!

--

Krypsis
Old June 9th 16, 10:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

It is a little more complex.

The initial current required to move the solenoid is far higher than that required to hold it in place. Thus, many cars have duel coils, one to move, and the other to hold. Thus, you may get say a 15 amp 1/2 second pulse, followed by a steady 2 amps.

Mal
http://protectorfire.com.au
Old November 8th 16, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

With a starter on the bench from a VT ecotec v6 the solenoid pulls over 20a from my 30a powersupply.
Old October 28th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I want to modify the circuit to add another relay to power the solenoid thus lessen the load, to energize relay it takes around 150mA.
Supply taken directly from battery.
Old October 29th 17, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bernd Felsche[_2_]

wrote:

>I want to modify the circuit to add another relay to power the
>solenoid thus lessen the load, to energize relay it takes around
>150mA.

>Supply taken directly from battery.

Solenoid current draw is around 30A. The starter solenoid performs
two tasks; to switch the very much larger starter motor current
(300+ amps) AND to engage the starter motor's drive pinion.

A solid state relay (SSR) will switch faster than a mechanical relay
but is more expensive, especially when allowing for engine
compartment temperatures. When shopping for one, make sure it's a DC
SSR and rated for at least 105 degrees C operating temperature. You
can tuck it in near the battery so that it's not exposed to the
hottest parts of the engine.

If you're good with electronics, you have the option of making your
own solid-state relay around a high-side MOSFET with "logic level"
control. There are lots of them made by e.g. Infineon designed for
engine-compartment (automotive 125 degrees C) temperatures. They can
switch up to hundreds of amps, depending on type.
--
/"\ Bernd Felsche - Somewhere in Western Australia
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an