1998 ford 2 wheel drive transmission making clunking noise while shifting.

Old February 27th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 1998 ford 2 wheel drive transmission making clunking noise while shifting.

I have a 1998 Explorer Sport, 2 wheel drive with auto transmission.
The problem is a clunking noise that is heard after the trans shifts
to second gear. Seems that the transmission shifts smooth into 2nd
but a couple of seconds or so after it shifts it makes a klunking
noise. Looking at the tach the engine s rpm stays the same. The engine
is a 4.0 SOHV. Als makes the noise when down shifting to 1st. gear.
The transmission shifts the other gears ok. Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Everett
Old March 3rd 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 1998 ford 2 wheel drive transmission making clunking noise while shifting. Solved

After taking the truck to AAMCO transmissions ( very nice
owner/operator) they tested the truck and said that there was nothing
wrong with the transmission that the problem was the rear end and that
they did not do rear ends. They said that I had a bad catalytic
converter and a bad MAF. I knew about the catalytic converter but the
MAF was new to me. I had checked the air filter a couple of weeks ago
and apparently not plugged the connector back into the MAF. After
reconnecting the MAF the clunking went away. Apparently a bad MAF can
cause erratic shifting. Now to replace the cat. Any ideas on a good
source for the part.