94 Topaz Idler Pulley partly missing?

Old October 12th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sara Brown

Default 94 Topaz Idler Pulley partly missing?

My niece has an old 94 Topaz with a 4 cyl automatic...A couple of days
ago she said the car was over heating and hard to steer..I went up
there today and found the serpentine belt was basically
shredded...Looking around and thinking something was froze up I saw
that the smooth flat pulley the belt goes over which is in front of
the water pump (I believe the belt routing diagram called it an idler
pulley) seemed to be half missing..When I say half missing I mean that
it was suppose to be about 1 inch wide (The width of the belt) but it
was in fact not half that width and was off to the side so only half
the belt would rest on it....How could this have happened?..Is there
suppose to be maybe an wider outer rim on this pulley that has somehow
come off?..It looked like it was pretty close to the side wall of the
vehicle so how much of a nightmare is getting this pulley off and
replacing it?..Thanks :-)
Old October 12th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh[_3_]

I once saw this on a relatives car. I think it was a Chevy, but it might have been a Ford. The plastic pulley had essentially disintegrated. I replaced it with a metal pulley.

--
Mike Walsh
Old October 13th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sara Brown

OK..Just as a follow up in case anyone else Google searches for this
problem down the road..Somehow a bolt that is directly behind this
pulley had worked itself loose and the plastic pulley was grinding
against it til half of it was gone and then the belt slipped off and
got torn up

Timing Belt Idler Pulley question [email protected] Mazda 25 January 31st 07 08:07 PM
idler pulley Scott in Baltimore Jeep 17 March 3rd 06 05:55 PM
'94 Explorer Idler Pulley [email protected] Ford Explorer 0 February 25th 06 04:33 PM
Chevy Idler Pulley Has Lost All Tension Julie P. Technology 5 September 24th 05 08:06 AM
XJ idler pulley Barry Jeep 2 May 12th 05 04:41 AM