Motor I.D.

Old October 31st 04, 08:05 AM
Ken Cutt

Default Motor I.D.

I have an Bug engine in a track machine . Limited access to check unless
I pull it . I need to order new points , plugs , condenser . I am
looking for a site to help track down what year it is . On one intake
runner is this number
113 129 701AG
I have tried the dealer who can not or will not help
Got a generic manual
I am looking on line but endless hits to sift through and nothing
helpful yet . So can anyone point me in the right direction ?
Thanks
Ken Cutt
Old October 31st 04, 01:33 PM
Speedy Jim

Ken Cutt wrote:

> I have an Bug engine in a track machine . Limited access to check unless
> I pull it . I need to order new points , plugs , condenser . I am
> looking for a site to help track down what year it is . On one intake
> runner is this number
> 113 129 701AG
> I have tried the dealer who can not or will not help
> Got a generic manual
> I am looking on line but endless hits to sift through and nothing
> helpful yet . So can anyone point me in the right direction ?
> Thanks
> Ken Cutt

Forget the motor ID; it is meaningless for this.

On the distributor, find the P/N stamped in the side.
Then, go he
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm
for the part #'s you need.

For future ref, the engine ID is stamped just below the
generator stand.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old October 31st 04, 06:20 PM
Bob Hoover

Ken Cutt > wrote in message >...
> I have an Bug engine in a track machine . Limited access to check unless
> I pull it . I need to order new points , plugs , condenser . I am
> looking for a site to help track down what year it is .

Dear Ken,

The numbers you've cited are the part number for that particular
casting. It has nothing to do with the provenance of the engine.
Indeed, even if you knew the engine's serial number there is no
guarantee it is still using its original distributor. (Or original
manifold casting :-)

Best bet is to pull the distributor, read the numbers off the body and
use those. VW used about 125 different distributors but the odds are
you have something for which replacement parts are commonly available.

A very practical alternative is to consider doing away with the points
& condenser by installing a solid-state points replacement module (ie,
Pertex or Compu-Fire). You will still need to identify & periodically
replace the cap & rotor but will have elminated the need to
replace/adjust the points.

-Bob Hoover
Old October 31st 04, 11:08 PM
Chris Perdue

>From: veeduber

>The numbers you've cited are the part number for that particular
>casting. It has nothing to do with the provenance of the engine.

not only that, but i *believe* i read on another forum that this was a
"non-original" engine.....not sure, but there aren't that many vw powered track
machines out there, so i figure this Ken is the same Ken...
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old November 1st 04, 08:48 AM
Ken Cutt

Chris Perdue wrote:
>>From: veeduber

>>The numbers you've cited are the part number for that particular
>>casting. It has nothing to do with the provenance of the engine.
>>

> not only that, but i *believe* i read on another forum that this was a
> "non-original" engine.....not sure, but there aren't that many vw powered track
> machines out there, so i figure this Ken is the same Ken...
> -------------------
> Chris Perdue
> "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
> the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
> air-cooled legend forward"
> Jim Mais
> Feb. 2004

For some reason my posts here don't show up on my news reader . Just
this newsgroup so not sure whats going on . This is the second time I
posted here . When it failed again I went looking on google and saw
someone had responded . Thanks to those who have ;-) . When at a parts
store the first thing they ask is " what year " . I will pull the
distributer , points and condenser next time and take it all along .
Then while there ask about a conversion set up . This track machine is a
home made unit . I used to use this to carry a water tank up in the
mountains of B.C., while I was a forestry contractor . It has sat now
for a few years . I just wanted to get in out again as a toy more or
less . It is amazing where it will go , ;-) . In fact I can load about a
cord of fire wood on it . Thanks again
Ken Cutt
Old November 1st 04, 08:51 AM
Ken Cutt

Speedy Jim wrote:

> Ken Cutt wrote:
>
>>I have an Bug engine in a track machine . Limited access to check unless
>>I pull it . I need to order new points , plugs , condenser . I am
>>looking for a site to help track down what year it is . On one intake
>>runner is this number
>>113 129 701AG
>>I have tried the dealer who can not or will not help
>>Got a generic manual
>>I am looking on line but endless hits to sift through and nothing
>>helpful yet . So can anyone point me in the right direction ?
>>Thanks
>>Ken Cutt

> Forget the motor ID; it is meaningless for this.
>
> On the distributor, find the P/N stamped in the side.
> Then, go he
> http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm
> for the part #'s you need.
>

> For future ref, the engine ID is stamped just below the
> generator stand.
>

> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Thanks great page . Just what I need .