Which Beetle

Old October 29th 04, 12:20 AM
MUADIB®

>My '72 dosen't have the vents...

Then Your 72 is of another country origin...............All the US
models ahd the rear (crescent shaped) vents behind the rear windows,
unless it is a convertible....................I'd give you a pass on
that one. Is it possible yours is not a US model????
or maybe your car was modified by a previous owner?

There are possibilities, but they are not from the dealership,
delivered that way in the US unless I have mis understood something ,
way way out there somewhere......................I miss things on
occaision, but this one for some reason is not even a smidgen off the
mark in my brain.

Anyone else wanna chime in on this and help us make for certain that
niether of us is putting eroneous info out for the original poster???

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old October 29th 04, 01:14 PM
Kafertoys

>>My '72 dosen't have the vents...
>

> Is it possible yours is not a US model????
>or maybe your car was modified by a previous owner?
>

>Anyone else wanna chime in on this and help us make for certain that
>niether of us is putting eroneous info out for the original poster???

I have eliminated the vents on a few 71 and newer beetles so smooth, and using
nothing but metal that you would never be able to tell they were ever there

you can use a magnet to see if the area have bondo to remove the vents in some
cases, not all though I make sure a refrigerator magnet sticks to all my work.

Mario
Old October 29th 04, 05:41 PM
ThaDriver

>>My '72 dosen't have the vents...
>

> Is it possible yours is not a US model????
>or maybe your car was modified by a previous owner?
>

>Anyone else wanna chime in on this and help us make for certain that
>niether of us is putting eroneous info out for the original poster???

**********
It's possible my body was changed out by a previous owner. I know it
dosen't have the vents, & the body never had them (they haven't been
filled).
Very curious.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old October 29th 04, 07:04 PM
Jan Andersson

ThaDriver wrote:

> >>My '72 dosen't have the vents...

> > Is it possible yours is not a US model????
> >or maybe your car was modified by a previous owner?
> >

> >Anyone else wanna chime in on this and help us make for certain that
> >niether of us is putting eroneous info out for the original poster???

> **********
> It's possible my body was changed out by a previous owner. I know it
> dosen't have the vents, & the body never had them (they haven't been
> filled).
> Very curious.
> ~ Paul
> aka "Tha Driver"
>
> Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!

There were

1) different bodies and levels of trim for different market areas

and

2) different trim levels and slight body differences in the same market
area between "budget" models (Also called "standard") and "regular"
(also called, ready for this, LIMOUSINE) models.

I had a 1970 swing axle 1500, "limousine". Chrome trim, headliner and
interior vinyl covering all metal areas except door metal. Padded dash.
Swing axle rear, disc brakes up front on torsion bar suspension

The standard had virtually no chrome trim, narrow headliner strip (metal
visible all around the interior), 1200 engine,
painted old style "blade" bumpers with no overriders, and no gas gauge.

Just to name a few details.

BTW nowhere in this did I mention or mean the SUPER beetle, as opposed
to "standard". That's a whole different beast and I don't know if a
"standard" or economy version of the super ever existed.

jan
Old October 30th 04, 12:00 AM
John Willis

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:04:10 +0300, Jan Andersson
> scribbled this interesting note:

>There were
>
>1) different bodies and levels of trim for different market areas
>
>and
>
>2) different trim levels and slight body differences in the same market
>area between "budget" models (Also called "standard") and "regular"
>(also called, ready for this, LIMOUSINE) models.
>

>I had a 1970 swing axle 1500, "limousine". Chrome trim, headliner and
>interior vinyl covering all metal areas except door metal. Padded dash.
>Swing axle rear, disc brakes up front on torsion bar suspension
>
>The standard had virtually no chrome trim, narrow headliner strip (metal
>visible all around the interior), 1200 engine,
>painted old style "blade" bumpers with no overriders, and no gas gauge.
>

>Just to name a few details.
>
>BTW nowhere in this did I mention or mean the SUPER beetle, as opposed
>to "standard". That's a whole different beast and I don't know if a
>"standard" or economy version of the super ever existed.
>
>jan

I'll chime in for Scott here since he seems to be goofing off
somewhere...

Scott had two standard, plain Jane, bottom of the line 1971 Beetles.
You know, the kind that came from the factory with a horn button, not
a horn ring. No fancy chrome, no fancy trim packages. Neither of these
cars had been altered in any significant fashion and the numbers
between the bodies and the pans matched. Both of these cars had the
vents. These are both U.S. model cars.

I kind of like the standard Beetles. There are far fewer of them here
in the U.S. than the dressed up Beetles. To my mind that makes them a
little more desirable since there are fewer of them.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old October 30th 04, 01:48 AM
jjs

"John Willis" > wrote in message
> I kind of like the standard Beetles. There are far fewer of them here
> in the U.S. than the dressed up Beetles. To my mind that makes them a
> little more desirable since there are fewer of them.

They are very hard to find. I've never seen one. Seems everybody messes 'em
up with "improvements".

Old October 30th 04, 03:14 AM
MUADIB®

>They are very hard to find. I've never seen one. Seems everybody messes 'em
>up with "improvements".

And I revently sold off two of 'em that were
un-altered...............well, other than aging and natural
erosion.............LOL

Had planned on making a show pair once uppon a time.

They were very close in VIN number and they were both the same factory
paint color too.

Old October 30th 04, 01:33 PM
Dennis Wik

The Super Beetles had unique factory trims to go with special limited
editions. They had a baja, denim, and sun bug that I remember. My 74
Sun Bug that I am salvaging had stamped wheels which they also used on
other models, fake wood dash inserts, cloth seat centers with gold
threads, leather shift knob with sun burst center, simulated leather
steering wheel cover with the center emblem painted, of course the gold
paint, sun roof and golden bronze carpet. There might be more but these
are what I've found as well as confirmed by my research. Also the
dealers were supplied with a Sun-Bug logo that was to be installed on
the rear deck but most were not installed on the correct models but
installed on other convertables and sliding roof models to make a few
extra bucks as I remember. I seem to remember my dealer had a "Blue"
convert with the deck emblem. No, I don't have a deck emblem and I sold
the shift knob for $150. Dennis

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old October 31st 04, 08:24 AM
ThaDriver

>They are very hard to find. I've never seen one. Seems everybody messes
'em
up with "improvements".
********
And yet I posted that a friend was selling 5 or 6 of his Beetles & not a
single response. I guess no one in the Atlanta area is interested in bugs
anymore. Shame; 2 of them will probably see the crusher...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old October 31st 04, 05:32 PM
John Willis

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 03:24:54 -0500, "ThaDriver"
> scribbled this interesting note:

>>They are very hard to find. I've never seen one. Seems everybody messes

>'em
>up with "improvements".
>********
>And yet I posted that a friend was selling 5 or 6 of his Beetles & not a
>single response. I guess no one in the Atlanta area is interested in bugs
>anymore. Shame; 2 of them will probably see the crusher...

If two are destined to see the crusher, then remove all good parts and
box them up and sell them here and there. eBay, Samba, ramva, etc. It
is possible that those two should go to the crusher, just as at least
one more car we have will be similarly disposed of...after removal of
all good parts!:~)