1999 323i Convertible - Winter Tire Question

Old September 28th 04, 05:40 PM
C.R. Krieger

Default 1999 323i Convertible - Winter Tire Question

"R Gostenik" > wrote in message news:<ab104$4158a6cf$cfe02a68$17013@allthenewsgrou ps.com>...

> Indirectly, yes- I do. I have the distribution rights for Colorado and the
> retail internet business for the western US. ... and why the quotes around
> retreads?

Goin' out on a limb, here, I'm guessing he wanted to emphasize that
these tires (I've never heard of) are retreaded, since you
conveniently overlooked mentioning that fairly important fact. I
daresay there aren't many here who would even consider putting a
retreaded tire on a BMW. I know I wouldn't. Not even a snow tire.
But, for the edification of all, and in the interest of fairness, tell
us all about your *V rated* snow tires.
--
C.R. Krieger
(has 'em)
Old September 28th 04, 05:53 PM
R Gostenik

"DFS"

Your last post to this thread implied that I was, or would, not be up-front
to the NG about my involvement w/ Green Diamond Tire.

I am curious, do you have ties to the tire industry in any way?

My intent in lurking at these NG is to politely offer GDTs as a
consideration. Defame the product by calling them "retreads" if you will
but you should educate yourself on where "retreads" are utilized before
taking me on in a NG.

For example, most jet liners land on "retreads" remanufactured to the same
ISO certifications as GDT. School buses, ambulances, fire engines, any
class of emergency vehicles all utilize retreads. a stipulation being that
"retreads" may not be mounted to the steering axle. and this is more a
'special interest' concession to the new tire manufacturers than a proven
bonafide safety issue.

So, please educate yourself on Green Diamond Tires before denigrating them
as some inferior product. My very positive personal experience with the
tires is not unlike thousands of others and I drive my cars robustly.

I would rather explain the feature/benefit of these tires to you, and invite
you to try them, even at my cost, than to argue or debate over the internet
hypothetical pros/cons. These tires are far more sophisticated than
"retreads" or "recaps". they are a completely rebuilt/remanufactured product
which happen to out perform the product from which they were originally
made... and one less tire clogging a landfill.

So, please, let's keep it civil.

Rich Gostenik

<snip>

Maybe you should come clean here too. You work for Green Diamond
"retreads," correct?

ds

Old September 28th 04, 06:55 PM
R Gostenik

I daresay there aren't many here who would even consider putting a
retreaded tire on a BMW. I know I wouldn't. Not even a snow tire.

.... fair enough C.R. Krieger, here a few who have:

We have a set on my wife's 1993 BMW 325i. We generally don't get a lot
of snow in Nashville, Tennessee, but we do get really bad ice several times
a year.
To compound that the area is very hilly.

On the OEM tires the BWM was a real handful on ice or even snow. The car is
rear drive, no limited slip, and no traction control. About three years ago
we switched to Bridgestone Blizzaks for winter use. They were a significant
improvement, but the multi-cell compound that gives them such good traction
wears out at about 50% tread depth. This winter they needed to be replaced
and when I read about your tires, I decided to give them a try. The first
time we needed them, we got the most snow we had seen at one time in several
years. Seven inches in 3 hours. Very few people in this area have real
snow tires and as the snow was packed down by cars driving over it, cars
were slipping and sliding everywhere -- but not ours. Traction was
unbelievable. Braking felt like we were on a road that was just damp from a
summer shower. Just a minimal loss of traction. The Blizzaks were good,
but these are MUCH better. Even with the all season tread pattern we have,
the snow was no problem. The next day, several places had turned to ice,
but the tires still handled it easily.

I've had four 4x4 vehicles. Overall I feel more secure in our rear wheel
drive BMW, without traction control, then I do in a 4x4. A 4x4 only helps
when accelerating, and to a much lesser degree when cornering. The Green
Diamonds are working all of the time. They are so much better than off-road
tires or even conventional winter tires that I plan on putting a set on my
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 next winter. I love them, and I can
enthusiastically recommend them to anyone.

Bill Egan

.... or this from 'Joe'

Agree with Chris. Have on my 5 series BMW in WY and am very pleased.
Ordered from greendiamonddirect.com. Paid $73.50 per tire plus shipping

... I am not suggesting the Green Diamond Tire for general use on a
performance marque such as the BMW. You will recall that this thread
started out as a "Winter Tire Question". It is to that purpose that I
propose, a better "winter tire" than the Green Diamond Tire will not be
found. And I used to be a tire snob... only running studded Gislaved Nord
Frosts, Vredestein or Nokian Hakks.

Final comment... keep an open mind and back off on the venom directed at
someone with something different and perhaps better to offer. Do some
research... you might change your mind.

Kind regards to all at this fine NG.

Rich Gostenik