540I key fob battery replacement

Old September 27th 04, 02:18 AM
Barbara McMahon

Default 540I key fob battery replacement

The range on my 1995 BMW 540I key fob has decreased with time, given the age
((6+ years) of the key fob battery I suspect it is time to change it. The
owner's manual and the Bentley BMW 5-Series service manual does not appear
to cover key fob battery replacement procedure. Is there an FAQ or similar
web reference covering the procedure to replace the battery?

Please advise

Old September 27th 04, 05:18 PM
Michael Low

"Barbara McMahon" > wrote in message >...
> The range on my 1995 BMW 540I key fob has decreased with time, given the age
> ((6+ years) of the key fob battery I suspect it is time to change it. The
> owner's manual and the Bentley BMW 5-Series service manual does not appear
> to cover key fob battery replacement procedure. Is there an FAQ or similar
> web reference covering the procedure to replace the battery?
>
> Please advise

Yes, it would be advisable to change the battery before the battery
dies. I don't know if the E34's key is like the E39's but with the
E39, you pry open (carefully) a rectangular flap on the back of the
key and unscrew 2 fasteners before accessing the 2 batteries.

The trick is to make sure you have the correct fresh battery(ies)
ready before you attempt the replacement. For the E39, if you can
swap the batteries within 1 minute the key does not have to be
re-initialized. I don't know if the E34's key uses the same sort of
EWS system as the E39 but you should check.

If I were you I would at least call the dealer and ask these
questions. The last time my keys needed new batteries the parts
service person simply replaced them for me for free when I was in for
service. BTW, that was the downtown Toronto dealer - it got bought
back by BMW when they recently opened their megastore there.

Michael