How in the %$@%$ do I get to the e46 M3 oil pan drain plug??

Old September 25th 04, 02:09 PM
Bill Blevins

Default How in the %$@%$ do I get to the e46 M3 oil pan drain plug??

I have been all over this thing and I think I found the plastic door leading
to the hex wrench plug for the tranny fluid but not the oil and please don't
tell me I have to remove that huge black plastic cover in the front. Thanks!

Old September 25th 04, 03:07 PM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Bill Blevins" > wrote in message
>I have been all over this thing and I think I found the plastic door
>leading
> to the hex wrench plug for the tranny fluid but not the oil and please
> don't
> tell me I have to remove that huge black plastic cover in the front.
> Thanks!

Per your request, I won't tell you that you need to remove the huge plastic
cover in the front. However, the oilpan is located above it. There's a
small door probably 2"-3" across that lifts out with a screwdriver to expose
the drain plug.

Kyle.

Old September 25th 04, 04:01 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Bill Blevins" > wrote
> "Kyle and Lori Greene" > wrote
>> "Bill Blevins" > wrote
>> >I have been all over this thing and I think I found the plastic door
>> >leading
>> > to the hex wrench plug for the tranny fluid but not the oil and please
>> > don't
>> > tell me I have to remove that huge black plastic cover in the front.
>> > Thanks!
>> >

>> Per your request, I won't tell you that you need to remove the huge
>> plastic
>> cover in the front. However, the oilpan is located above it. There's a
>> small door probably 2"-3" across that lifts out with a screwdriver to
>> expose
>> the drain plug.

> You mean the plug that takes the 6mm hex? AHHH, it was so far back I
> thought
> it was the tranny fluid.
> We are talking about the same plastic access door correct??

My 330xi is a little different (has a far different pan because of the
diff/axle)
but my "big cover" is really easy to remove - half-twist screws front and
rear; about 4 total. Loosen the front first, then the back and pull it out
the front.

Floyd

Old September 26th 04, 03:06 AM
Bill Blevins

Yeah, those 3's are a little more straight forward. I just assumed when i
saw the 6mm hex plu that it was a tranny plug as I have never seen one for
an oil pan but sure enough...

I also had to pack everything up and make a run to the parts store to get a
set of metric hex sockets...

Old September 27th 04, 11:49 AM
adder

"Bill Blevins" > wrote in message news:<Pup5d.112360$MQ5.89753@attbi_s52>...
> Yeah, those 3's are a little more straight forward. I just assumed when i
> saw the 6mm hex plu that it was a tranny plug as I have never seen one for
> an oil pan but sure enough...
>
> I also had to pack everything up and make a run to the parts store to get a
> set of metric hex sockets...

Not meaning to be nasty or anything but the engine oil pan & drain
plug will be under the engine & the tranny drain plug will be under
the transmission.
Old September 27th 04, 03:54 PM
LeonErin1

I thought you had to pump out the M3 oil, i.e. no drain plug, if you find a
plug let me know.

Leo