Replacing spark plugs

Old April 5th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
tinman

Default Replacing spark plugs

Hi,

I have my '99GC 4.0L 6cyl in the shop for a 90K maintenance. The
mechanic
just called me and says that he found platinum plugs in there and so
he must
replace them with platinum plugs. He insists that he cannot replace
platinum
plugs with regular plugs (which are included in the maintenace charge)
and
wants to charge me $12 extra per plug. Is this true? I do not intend
to keep
the car long enough to justify the benefit of platinum plugs, so I'm
inclined
to go with regular plugs. Is there any downside to this or am I just
getting
scammed?

thanks.

-Tin

Old April 5th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

tinman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have my '99GC 4.0L 6cyl in the shop for a 90K maintenance. The
> mechanic
> just called me and says that he found platinum plugs in there and so
> he must
> replace them with platinum plugs. He insists that he cannot replace
> platinum
> plugs with regular plugs (which are included in the maintenace charge)
> and
> wants to charge me $12 extra per plug. Is this true? I do not intend
> to keep
> the car long enough to justify the benefit of platinum plugs, so I'm
> inclined
> to go with regular plugs. Is there any downside to this or am I just
> getting
> scammed?

That's a load of bull.

For that much you may as well go buy six plat plugs like the ones
that are in there and take them to the mechanic to install. Just remind
them to take off the cost of OEM regular plugs from your ticket or give
you the plugs since you paid for them.

--
DougW

Old April 5th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
tinman

Thanks, Doug. I'm just going to insist he replace them with regular
plugs and I'll take the *chance* of the engine blowing up

thx.

-Tin

Old April 5th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

What does the label say? There should be a label under the hood somewhere
that says what kind of plugs you are supposed to use and other emissions
related information.

If it really does have platinum plugs in there they are supposed to last
longer, and they probably don't need to be replaced now.

Earle

oups.com...

Old April 6th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

That engine came from the factory with copper Champions as your 'mechanic'
well knows.

If you have had no drivability problems with the Platinums (I haven't in 3
Jeeps) you can continue with them but be advised Bosch Platinums RETAIL for
less than $2.50 each.

oups.com...

Old April 6th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

"tinman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have my '99GC 4.0L 6cyl in the shop for a 90K maintenance. The
> mechanic
> just called me and says that he found platinum plugs in there and so
> he must
> replace them with platinum plugs. He insists that he cannot replace
> platinum
> plugs with regular plugs (which are included in the maintenace charge)
> and
> wants to charge me $12 extra per plug. Is this true? I do not intend
> to keep
> the car long enough to justify the benefit of platinum plugs, so I'm
> inclined
> to go with regular plugs. Is there any downside to this or am I just
> getting
> scammed?
>
> thanks.
>
> -Tin

It may or may not be a load of crap. It doesn't matter what he found, it
only matters what the design calls for. I don't know what they designed for
that motor, but my 258 (4.2L, sotrta) just takes standard plugs. I can't
imagine your 4.0L requires platinum plugs, I suspect a previous owner put
them in, or if you are the previous onwer then a shop installed them for you
for any number of reasons.

What I can say with certainty is that if you need high performance plugs,
and you get standard plugs, the motor won't run worth a ****.

I once owned a brand spanking new GM car with a High Output (quotes needed
there) 2.8L V6 that -- I swear to God -- could not get out of its own way.
Well, by and by I decided to replace the spark plugs because it was time. I
went to the corner store and they looked up in the catalog, and came back
with the "right" plugs. I installed them, and went for a test drive on the
main drag in my town. Not only couldn't I get out of my own way, I became
serious problem to the general population also using the main drag. I got
back to my driveway, and checked EVERYTHING. Yes, everything. I had to take
the car to the local tune up shop, and the guy pulled a plug and reported,
"here's your trouble." It turns out the plug requirement was for some
Hot-Snot Copper Core something or other, but all I had was regular snot. I
took the regular snot and the mechanic's bill to the auto parts store, but
all I got back was the cost for the crappy plugs.

The moral of the story is, you might need hot-snot spark plugs, in which
case you should get them. I think you can use the regular snot plugs though,
and save several dollars.

Old April 6th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

"tinman" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Thanks, Doug. I'm just going to insist he replace them with regular
> plugs and I'll take the *chance* of the engine blowing up
>
> thx.
>
> -Tin

There's no danger of the motor blowing up. It just won't run well.

Old April 6th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike

"billy ray" > wrote in message
> That engine came from the factory with copper Champions as your 'mechanic'
> well knows.
>
> If you have had no drivability problems with the Platinums (I haven't in
> 3 Jeeps) you can continue with them but be advised Bosch Platinums RETAIL
> for less than $2.50 each.

Bosh spark plugs are junk. I wouldn't put them in a lawn mower. Every time
I have seen a car with driveability problems due to bad spark plugs they
have always been Bosh.

Old April 6th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "tinman" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have my '99GC 4.0L 6cyl in the shop for a 90K maintenance. The
>> mechanic
>> just called me and says that he found platinum plugs in there and so
>> he must
>> replace them with platinum plugs. He insists that he cannot replace
>> platinum
>> plugs with regular plugs (which are included in the maintenace charge)
>> and
>> wants to charge me $12 extra per plug. Is this true? I do not intend
>> to keep
>> the car long enough to justify the benefit of platinum plugs, so I'm
>> inclined
>> to go with regular plugs. Is there any downside to this or am I just
>> getting
>> scammed?
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> -Tin
>>

> It may or may not be a load of crap. It doesn't matter what he found, it
> only matters what the design calls for. I don't know what they designed
> for that motor, but my 258 (4.2L, sotrta) just takes standard plugs. I
> can't imagine your 4.0L requires platinum plugs, I suspect a previous
> owner put them in, or if you are the previous onwer then a shop installed
> them for you for any number of reasons.
>
> What I can say with certainty is that if you need high performance plugs,
> and you get standard plugs, the motor won't run worth a ****.
>
> I once owned a brand spanking new GM car with a High Output (quotes needed
> there) 2.8L V6 that -- I swear to God -- could not get out of its own way.
> Well, by and by I decided to replace the spark plugs because it was time.
> I went to the corner store and they looked up in the catalog, and came
> back with the "right" plugs. I installed them, and went for a test drive
> on the main drag in my town. Not only couldn't I get out of my own way, I
> became serious problem to the general population also using the main drag.
> I got back to my driveway, and checked EVERYTHING. Yes, everything. I had
> to take the car to the local tune up shop, and the guy pulled a plug and
> reported, "here's your trouble." It turns out the plug requirement was for
> some Hot-Snot Copper Core something or other, but all I had was regular
> snot. I took the regular snot and the mechanic's bill to the auto parts
> store, but all I got back was the cost for the crappy plugs.
>
> The moral of the story is, you might need hot-snot spark plugs, in which
> case you should get them. I think you can use the regular snot plugs
> though, and save several dollars.

Are you sure you didn't get a set of Bosh plugs the first time ? The only
difference between regular plugs and platnium plugs, ( besides the
plantinums costing 4-6 times more) is the plantinum plugs last longer.
Regular plugs will last about 30,000 miles. The plantinums will go to
between 60,000 and 80,000 miles. There is no difference in performance.

Old April 6th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike

> "tinman" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Thanks, Doug. I'm just going to insist he replace them with regular
>> plugs and I'll take the *chance* of the engine blowing up
>>
>> thx.
>>
>> -Tin

> There's no danger of the motor blowing up. It just won't run well.

The platinum plugs will last longer but there will be no difference in
the way the engine runs no matter which plug is used.

VR6 spark plugs Get Involved VW water cooled 0 March 16th 06 08:15 PM
replacing spark-plugs in '96 Passat GLS (2.0L ABA engine) elms88 VW water cooled 6 April 8th 05 02:48 PM
Spark plugs scapa Honda 2 January 4th 05 06:08 AM
spark plugs??? psion Ford Mustang 4 December 19th 04 07:27 PM
spark plugs prc25 Saturn 6 November 24th 04 09:47 PM