CV axle change and now no start

Old January 28th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Cole

Default CV axle change and now no start

90 Civic EX (auto transmission)

I replaced my passenger side CV Axle today and replaced a small amount
of transmission fluid with DEX3 and now the car won't start. It
cranks and sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't turn over.
Could it be from too much transmission fluid? It's a tiny bit over
the top of the operating range on the dip stick.

I guess what my question is, would it prevent the vehicle from
starting by having too much transmission fluid?

Thanks for your help.

Old January 28th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
loewent via CarKB.com

its not transmission fluid. and you should use Honda OEM fluid.

you must have done something while monkeying around with the driveshaft.
Which one did you remove?

Old January 28th 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Cole wrote:
> 90 Civic EX (auto transmission)
>
> I replaced my passenger side CV Axle today and replaced a small amount
> of transmission fluid with DEX3 and now the car won't start. It
> cranks and sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't turn over.
> Could it be from too much transmission fluid? It's a tiny bit over
> the top of the operating range on the dip stick.
>
> I guess what my question is, would it prevent the vehicle from
> starting by having too much transmission fluid?
>

> Thanks for your help.

=====================================

Maybe it's flooded. Read the manual for how to start a flooded Honda.
There's no connection between the two things you did...

You need to do a drain-n-fill with Honda Z1. Don't put anything else in
there. Don't 'flush' a Honda tranny.

'Curly'
Old January 28th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Cole wrote:
> 90 Civic EX (auto transmission)
>
> I replaced my passenger side CV Axle today and replaced a small amount
> of transmission fluid with DEX3 and now the car won't start. It
> cranks and sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't turn over.
> Could it be from too much transmission fluid? It's a tiny bit over
> the top of the operating range on the dip stick.
>
> I guess what my question is, would it prevent the vehicle from
> starting by having too much transmission fluid?
>

> Thanks for your help.

drain the transmission fluid before you do any damage and refill with
honda fluid. dexron makes the shift feel like a door being slammed on
your ass. and it seems to shorten the life of the transmission too - i
know both these from personal experience. yes, we know the old manual
says use dexron, but formulation today is different to how it was when
the manual was first written, and the only stuff available to original
spec if genuine honda fluid.

regarding the no-start, it's not related to the shaft change. do the
no-start diagnostics outlined at tegger.com.
Old January 28th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

jim beam wrote:
> Cole wrote:
>> 90 Civic EX (auto transmission)
>>
>> I replaced my passenger side CV Axle today and replaced a small amount
>> of transmission fluid with DEX3 and now the car won't start. It
>> cranks and sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't turn over.
>> Could it be from too much transmission fluid? It's a tiny bit over
>> the top of the operating range on the dip stick.
>>
>> I guess what my question is, would it prevent the vehicle from
>> starting by having too much transmission fluid?
>>

>> Thanks for your help.
>>

> drain the transmission fluid before you do any damage and refill with
> honda fluid. dexron makes the shift feel like a door being slammed on
> your ass. and it seems to shorten the life of the transmission too - i
> know both these from personal experience. yes, we know the old manual
> says use dexron, but formulation today is different to how it was when
> the manual was first written, and the only stuff available to original
> spec if genuine honda fluid.
>
> regarding the no-start, it's not related to the shaft change. do the
> no-start diagnostics outlined at tegger.com.

Could he have inadvertently disconnected a safety interlock?

JT

Old January 29th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> jim beam wrote:
>> Cole wrote:
>>> 90 Civic EX (auto transmission)
>>>
>>> I replaced my passenger side CV Axle today and replaced a small
>>> amount of transmission fluid with DEX3 and now the car won't start.
>>> It cranks and sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't turn
>>> over. Could it be from too much transmission fluid? It's a tiny bit
>>> over the top of the operating range on the dip stick.
>>>
>>> I guess what my question is, would it prevent the vehicle from
>>> starting by having too much transmission fluid?
>>>

>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>

>> drain the transmission fluid before you do any damage and refill with
>> honda fluid. dexron makes the shift feel like a door being slammed on
>> your ass. and it seems to shorten the life of the transmission too -
>> i know both these from personal experience. yes, we know the old
>> manual says use dexron, but formulation today is different to how it
>> was when the manual was first written, and the only stuff available to
>> original spec if genuine honda fluid.
>>
>> regarding the no-start, it's not related to the shaft change. do the
>> no-start diagnostics outlined at tegger.com.

> Could he have inadvertently disconnected a safety interlock?
>
> JT

can't imagine why they'd do that to change the axles - it's completely
unnecessary.