Desira - serves me right ?!

Old March 1st 06, 11:53 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

Default Desira - serves me right ?!

I've got a small oil leak (the odd spot on the drive - nothing major).
Thought I'd drop it into the local Desira for them to take a look and
let me know whats wrong. Spent 1.5hours waiting round today, and after
that time they managed to come up with the gem of "its very dirty under
there, so we've cleaned it. Come back in a week so we can have a proper
look to see where its coming from. We think it might be the cam cover
gasket". Total cost - £82 !! For what ??!?! I could have got it steam
cleaned for a tenner somewhere else. I questioned the charge, was told
it was standard for that job (they dont have hourly rates anymore), and
I had to pay as I agreed to any charges when I signed the form saying
they could look at it.

Serves me right I guess... i expected them to charge ££ to fix it, but
£80 later they've hardly even started !

Incidently, they quoted another £80 to have it fixed if indeed it does
turn out to the be the cam cover gasket. Does that sound reasonable ?
Old March 2nd 06, 07:51 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo

"NC" > wrote in message
> I've got a small oil leak (the odd spot on the drive - nothing major).
> Thought I'd drop it into the local Desira for them to take a look and
> let me know whats wrong. Spent 1.5hours waiting round today, and after
> that time they managed to come up with the gem of "its very dirty under
> there, so we've cleaned it. Come back in a week so we can have a proper
> look to see where its coming from. We think it might be the cam cover
> gasket". Total cost - £82 !! For what ??!?! I could have got it steam
> cleaned for a tenner somewhere else. I questioned the charge, was told
> it was standard for that job (they dont have hourly rates anymore), and
> I had to pay as I agreed to any charges when I signed the form saying
> they could look at it.
>
> Serves me right I guess... i expected them to charge ££ to fix it, but
> £80 later they've hardly even started !
>
> Incidently, they quoted another £80 to have it fixed if indeed it does
> turn out to the be the cam cover gasket. Does that sound reasonable ?

It sounds to me that the typical £70 hourly rate is in employment
here...plus parts!

Almost everything small I get done at Alfa costs me £80