92 vette targa top quick removal mod...

Old September 30th 04, 04:32 PM
jameson

Default 92 vette targa top quick removal mod...

I gotta tell ya'll... I love driving my c4 with the targa top off...
But, mine didnt come with the 'removal tool' so i have to use the
closest flat head around and hold my tounge just right each time I
want to remove it.

Im sorry, but it would see to me that someone somewhere has developed
some kind of "clip" system or modification that would make removal as
easy as unlatching something... and making putting it back on as easy
as using gravity until it locks into place...

am I the only person who has thought of this?

I would like to request that Dave in IL not post to this thread. While
I am sure he may have some good advice, his posts cause the thread to
go off topic ... and the best thing I have seen him do in a thread is
to try and make other people feel inferior... so, with all due respect
Dave, please refrain from providing input to this post. Feel free to
email me if you have a wonderful idea that you cant contain.

thanks!
Jazz Mann
Old September 30th 04, 06:02 PM
Dad

"jameson" > wrote in message
om...
>I gotta tell ya'll... I love driving my c4 with the targa top off...
> But, mine didnt come with the 'removal tool' so i have to use the
> closest flat head around and hold my tounge just right each time I
> want to remove it.
>
> Im sorry, but it would see to me that someone somewhere has developed
> some kind of "clip" system or modification that would make removal as
> easy as unlatching something... and making putting it back on as easy
> as using gravity until it locks into place...
>
> am I the only person who has thought of this?

I'm sure you're not the only one that wanted this but the top is a
structural part of the flexible flyer frame of the C4. My guess is that
after taking the top off a few times the owner threw the wrench as far as he
could and never removed the top again. I would have sold you mine but I got
rid of the feeble framed C4 before I got turned off of Corvettes completely,
one of the few car I traded with less than 100,000 miles.

The Corvette parts suppliers have replacement wrenches. Corvette Central has
them 1-800-345-4122 www.CorvetteCentral.com 84-96 ROOF PANEL WRENCH
Factory Style 604420 29.95

--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old September 30th 04, 06:02 PM
Dad

om...

Old September 30th 04, 07:03 PM
Charles Spitzer

"jameson" > wrote in message
om...
>I gotta tell ya'll... I love driving my c4 with the targa top off...
> But, mine didnt come with the 'removal tool' so i have to use the
> closest flat head around and hold my tounge just right each time I
> want to remove it.
>
> Im sorry, but it would see to me that someone somewhere has developed
> some kind of "clip" system or modification that would make removal as
> easy as unlatching something... and making putting it back on as easy
> as using gravity until it locks into place...
>
> am I the only person who has thought of this?
>
> thanks!
> Jazz Mann

it's a standard torx head. you can get a set of heads for a few dollars, and
a cheap power screwdriver for under $15. that solution is both cheaper and
easier than buying another original tool.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Old September 30th 04, 07:03 PM
Charles Spitzer

om...

Old September 30th 04, 10:12 PM
Scubabix

> it's a standard torx head. you can get a set of heads for a few dollars,

and
> a cheap power screwdriver for under $15. that solution is both cheaper and
> easier than buying another original tool.
>
> regards,
> charlie
> cave creek, az

This is great advice! When I bought my 96, I ordered one of the "correct"
tools for removing the C4 targa top. For $30, I got a 3/8 drive ratchet
wrench, an extension and the torx head that fits. The power screwdriver
would even make the process easier, thanks for that tip. Makes me miss my
t-tops on my 78.

Rob

Old September 30th 04, 10:12 PM
Scubabix

Old October 1st 04, 03:15 AM
Marty

> it's a standard torx head. you can get a set of heads for a few dollars,
> and
> a cheap power screwdriver for under $15. that solution is both cheaper and
> easier than buying another original tool.
>
> regards,
> charlie
> cave creek, az

I use a "T" handled Torx. It's one piece and stows nicely in the console.
Faster and cheaper than a ratchet.

Marty

Old October 1st 04, 03:15 AM
Marty