Most times Brakes..Some times no.

Old September 11th 05, 04:25 AM
Frankenstien

Default Most times Brakes..Some times no.

1997 Mercury Mountaineer, Most times Brakes OK... some times to the
floor... Here the Skinny, 98% of the time Brakes function normaly, no
pulling good foot preasure, then for no reason you go to use the brakes an
your foot goes nearly to the floor , one pump and your back to normal.
This condition exists Hot or Cold, Wet or Dry ... I have taken the
following actions, checked wear on all pads, 75% + on all 4 Blead the
brakes... all 4 the fluid looked clean when I started ...looks a little
cleaner now :-) no leaks, hear no Vacume leaks.. all 4 calipers actuate
freely. ... I changed the Pads about a year ago... I did not remove the
bleeder screw as it was suggested in some of the Posts that I searched, I
would have thought tho if my problem were related to bad fluid in the ABS
sstem it would have shown up long before now. any way kinda thumped on
this one... Things I have concidered but have since ruled out: Air in the
lines...
Lost Caliper Pin
Cracked or Broken Brake pad
Contaminated Brake Fluid
Leaking Calipers

Hoping one of the followers of this forum will have a clue as I no longer
have one... :-(

Old September 11th 05, 06:37 AM
Jim Warman

I've seen loose wheel bearings do this (though yours should be the sealed
assemblies). Drive in a straight line and all is wheel.... take a couple of
turn exhuberantly without touching the brakes and the pistons get knocked
back in the calipers... It's a long shot but worth a look...

Is this RABS or 4WABS?

Old September 11th 05, 03:14 PM
Happy Traveler

97 should have ABS on all four

> 1997 Mercury Mountaineer, Most times Brakes OK... some times to the
> floor... Here the Skinny, 98% of the time Brakes function normaly, no
> pulling good foot preasure, then for no reason you go to use the brakes an
> your foot goes nearly to the floor , one pump and your back to normal.
> This condition exists Hot or Cold, Wet or Dry ... I have taken the
> following actions, checked wear on all pads, 75% + on all 4 Blead the
> brakes... all 4 the fluid looked clean when I started ...looks a little
> cleaner now :-) no leaks, hear no Vacume leaks.. all 4 calipers actuate
> freely. ... I changed the Pads about a year ago... I did not remove the
> bleeder screw as it was suggested in some of the Posts that I searched, I
> would have thought tho if my problem were related to bad fluid in the ABS
> sstem it would have shown up long before now. any way kinda thumped on
> this one... Things I have concidered but have since ruled out: Air in the
> lines...
> Lost Caliper Pin
> Cracked or Broken Brake pad
> Contaminated Brake Fluid
> Leaking Calipers
>
> Hoping one of the followers of this forum will have a clue as I no longer
> have one... :-(

Could be an internal leak within the master cylinder. You would think that
it would do it every time if this were the case, but I have seen well worn
master cylinders do this intermittently. The fix would be to have the
master cylinder re-built or buy a rebuilt unit or a new unit.

Old September 11th 05, 10:40 PM
Frankenstien

4WABS .... Had it suggested to me the Master Cylinder, Not sure if thats
it, but seeing as how I'm running out of options, this may be the way to
go.

Old September 11th 05, 10:47 PM
Fred 2

I have had this happen on a brand new '96 Explorer with less than
3,000 miles. Kinda of scary when applying the brakes and having the
pedal go practically to the floor. Anyway back to the dealer, they
replaced the master cylinder.

This is not a safe condtition, get it fixed ASAP

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:25:37 -0400, "Frankenstien"

Old September 12th 05, 01:52 AM

Fred 2 wrote:

> This is not a safe condtition, get it fixed ASAP

Amen, Brother!
-Paul

Old September 12th 05, 02:04 AM
Frankenstien

And to think I just bought new Sneakers..... (I have 3 other Vehics... so
this one stays parked till fix time)

Old September 22nd 05, 02:29 AM
Frankenstien

Thought I'd give an update...Turns out once upon a time ago the previous
owner..or Ford had replaced the Brake lines... this person installed the
right line on the left and the left line on the right, this would stretch
the line while turning, this "stretch would increase the volume of fluid
required to actuate the brakes, thus giving the "sometimes brakes..
sometimes not".