*Check Engine Light*-Help

Old April 17th 05, 12:56 AM
blk knight

Default *Check Engine Light*-Help

Check engine light comes on because the computer sees something wrong with
one of the sensors. That's the only time it should come on...not
intermittently.

--
Ed Smith

Old April 17th 05, 01:07 AM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Jslick" > wrote in message
>I have a 328I and occasionally the check engine light will come on. I
> believe it is a fauly sensor since the light normally goes out after a
> month
> or so however my card needs to be inspected this month. In NY your car
> will
> not pass inspection if the check engine light is on. Is there anyway I
> will
> be able to get the light turned off any earlier then the cars normal
> cycle?

What year is your car? E36 or E46? The light can be turned off with a
scan tool, but often times a code will be stored for a drive cycle before it
turns on the light. If the inspection station reads codes and finds one
stored you may fail anyway. Also, if the code is emissions related and they
analyze the exhaust gases, they will fail you that way, even if the light is
not on. It would be in your best interest anyway to find out what the code
is since your car is trying to tell you something is wrong. You're probably
going to need to get it fixed to pass so you might as well find out now.

Kyle.
98 740iL
97 M3

Old April 17th 05, 05:59 AM
Tbird-Steve

Yank the bulb out to pass the inspection.

Steve

Old April 17th 05, 06:18 AM
JimV

That won't work in states that query the ECM (most that test for emissions).

Old April 17th 05, 12:38 PM
JRE

And in particular, it won't work in New York.

JRE

JimV wrote:

> That won't work in states that query the ECM (most that test for
> emissions).
>
> Tbird-Steve wrote:
>
>> Yank the bulb out to pass the inspection.

<snip>
Old April 18th 05, 08:19 AM

Check you fuel filler cover (gasoline cap in US speak?) make sure the
seal on it is ok and you've close it tightly.

If the gas cap leaks, it fools the computer into thinking the gas tank
(fuel tank in UK speak?) is leaking. Tricker the Check Engine light.

Old April 19th 05, 02:53 AM
Jeff Strickland

You didn't say what year the car is. If 1996 or newer, it is OBD II, and you
can buy, or use free, the Code Reader to find out why the Check light is
coming on.