Chevy 2.2 Timing chain

Old March 28th 19, 08:18 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
jking2012

Default Chevy 2.2 Timing chain

replying to Bob Urz, jking2012 wrote:
How did this work out? My son's truck is having similar problems.

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/gm/ecm-t...rix-78057-.htm

Old March 28th 19, 08:18 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
jking2012

replying to Bob Urz, jking2012 wrote:
I was wondering how this worked out. My son's truck is having similar problems
and was hoping for advice. I'm thinking that it might have jumped time.. I've
had people tell me that it might have jumped time but also had someone tell us
that it hasn't. I'm pretty frustrated at this point. He was driving and it
quit. The engine is turning but not firing (recently had a friend check and
the spark plugs are getting fire). It's giving off these codes: P0141 O2
sensor heater circuit fault (bank 1, sensor 2). P0300 cylinder misfire
detected (random). P0342 camshaft position sensor circuit, low voltage. We
know that it's not fuel pump, O2 sensor, plugs/plug wires, camshaft position
sensor, crankshaft sensor, coil, fuses, or relay. I know that it could be so
many other things as well. I was hoping for some input because I really don't
want to go through all of the trouble and it turns out that isn't the problem.
Could a fuel injector cause this? Is there a way to find out if the timing
chain is a problem without tearing down to visually see it? Any and all advice
is very welcomed.

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/gm/ecm-t...rix-78057-.htm

Old March 29th 19, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

jking2012 > wrote:
>replying to Bob Urz, jking2012 wrote:
>I was wondering how this worked out. My son's truck is having similar problems
>and was hoping for advice. I'm thinking that it might have jumped time.. I've
>had people tell me that it might have jumped time but also had someone tell us
>that it hasn't. I'm pretty frustrated at this point. He was driving and it
>quit. The engine is turning but not firing (recently had a friend check and
>the spark plugs are getting fire). It's giving off these codes: P0141 O2
>sensor heater circuit fault (bank 1, sensor 2). P0300 cylinder misfire
>detected (random). P0342 camshaft position sensor circuit, low voltage. We
>know that it's not fuel pump, O2 sensor, plugs/plug wires, camshaft position
>sensor, crankshaft sensor, coil, fuses, or relay. I know that it could be so
>many other things as well. I was hoping for some input because I really don't
>want to go through all of the trouble and it turns out that isn't the problem.
> Could a fuel injector cause this? Is there a way to find out if the timing
>chain is a problem without tearing down to visually see it? Any and all advice
>is very welcomed.

The P0141 is irrelevant to your problem but you maybe should fix it later.
The P0300 is a vague symptom of the problem.
The P0342 tells you something useful.

If you have a proper scanner you should be able to look at the ignition timing
as well as look at the camshaft position sensor waveform. If the sensor isn't
bad, likely the cabling to it is bad. That cabling includes the engine block
ground, incidentally. But looking at the waveform will tell you a whole lot
more than just looking at error codes.
--scott
Old March 29th 19, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in
:

> jking2012 > wrote:
>>replying to Bob Urz, jking2012 wrote:
>>I was wondering how this worked out. My son's truck is having similar
>>problems and was hoping for advice. I'm thinking that it might have
>>jumped time.. I've had people tell me that it might have jumped time
>>but also had someone tell us that it hasn't. I'm pretty frustrated at
>>this point. He was driving and it quit. The engine is turning but not
>>firing (recently had a friend check and the spark plugs are getting
>>fire). It's giving off these codes: P0141 O2 sensor heater circuit
>>fault (bank 1, sensor 2). P0300 cylinder misfire detected (random).
>>P0342 camshaft position sensor circuit, low voltage. We know that it's
>>not fuel pump, O2 sensor, plugs/plug wires, camshaft position sensor,
>>crankshaft sensor, coil, fuses, or relay. I know that it could be so
>>many other things as well. I was hoping for some input because I
>>really don't want to go through all of the trouble and it turns out
>>that isn't the problem.
>> Could a fuel injector cause this? Is there a way to find out if the
>> timing
>>chain is a problem without tearing down to visually see it? Any and
>>all advice is very welcomed.

> The P0141 is irrelevant to your problem but you maybe should fix it
> later. The P0300 is a vague symptom of the problem.
> The P0342 tells you something useful.
>
> If you have a proper scanner you should be able to look at the
> ignition timing as well as look at the camshaft position sensor
> waveform. If the sensor isn't bad, likely the cabling to it is bad.
> That cabling includes the engine block ground, incidentally. But
> looking at the waveform will tell you a whole lot more than just
> looking at error codes. --scott

also how do you know the fuel pump is ok? have you done a pressue test?
If the pressure is too low it wont fire the injectors. have you done a
comp test. if the chain has jumped it will be low comp on all cyl. and it
will sound like it is spinning faster than normal when trying to start
it. KB